New guy looking for

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Shmee, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Shmee

Shmee New Member

Curious how you managed that, I got a phone in appraisal for one of these bikes out here and was told close to $2500 is realistic!?

2. Twitchy at times

Twitchy at times New Member

Map
    Bike is pretty nice if I do say so myself...anyway - the appraisal took over an hour...very detailed including shit that there is no way this guy could have known unless he was an elder in the biz.

The fellow is local certified professional appraiser (hard to find cert. guys for bikes in Ottawa) but this guy is the schnitz...his main business is doing concourse restoration of classic muscle cars so he knows detail (large USA clientele who ship their whips up to him, spend $ 100K to get it "right", then ship it home).

It seem that, some years ago when Harley owners started putting 600 lbs of extra chrome on their bikes, there was only one or two Southern Ontario based firms that would appraise them for the insurance companies so he got in on the deal. Eventually some of the insurer's too some big hits in underwriting the loss of the over-valued hogs, so they fell back upon those appraiser that they felt they could trust in some capacity and asked "Al" to start writing all motorcycle types.

I'm a happy VF-man.

The rest is history I guess.

3. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    So is this five grand and change in real money or Loonies? BTW, you can get a CarFax on the bike for about 35 bucks USD. They are very popular up your way. ;)

4. Twitchy at times

Map
    lmao...ya dingus. Yeah real CDN dollars - that's par or better, bro.

5. Shmee

Shmee New Member

Right now the cnd is floating just under the usd by a cent or 2, but over the last couple years I think the cnd averages out slightly higher than the usd.
    But still, seems like the vf1ks I'm finding around Seattle are all $1500-2500usd and are the same dollars here on he other side of the boarder.

That would be a nice return on your investment should the worst happen!

6. Twitchy at times

Map
    Right, well, it's hard to say exactly what shape they're in or if geography makes a fair difference...additionally, out here in eastern Ontario, they're seemingly difficult to find (nothing available in similar shape in NY State or on the US east coast when I was searching).

7. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Shmee,

There is no regulation here in BC that restricts to and from school or work for bikes. Bike insurance is bike insurance. Now the collector plates may very well be another story, and I can't say I know that one way or the other, but I doubt they attach the pleasure use only to the bike collector plates seeing as there is no such thing as all or part way to and from work for bikes. It would be interesting if you can come up with something concrete on that. But I don't think mine will last that long anyways. Even if it does, I doubt I will.

8. Shmee

Shmee New Member

Joe,
    That's actually amazing that there is that much price difference from one side of the country to the other. i was also looking at 84-86 CB750SC Nighthawks for a while and they seemed to be fairly consistent in value across the country. problem with those was the nice ones were all 3k or more and all the rest were $1200-2000 for a pretty shabby bike!. :( too bad, they are pretty cool looking bikes!

Randy,
    for general car insurance, you are correct.
    bike insurance is bike insurance, the same as Car insurance is car insurance! you do have restrictions on your normal insurance though. obviously you need to declare accurate distance to and from work/school but a lot of people do not know you need to declare that you USE your vehicle FOR WORK if you use it more than 6 calender days in a month. that really only applies if you specifically use your car for commercial purposes in which case you need a commercial plate. however ICBC, as any BC'er knows, can get super anal about anything and make you fight even if you shouldn't have to. they have a whole section which investigates insurance claims and their legitimacy.

as far as collector plates go for bikes or cars, my insurance agent went out of her way to point this out to me....

ICBC | Collector vehicles
    3/4 of the way down the page:
    realistically, once you have your tags and decal, you can do whatever you want. it's the honor system from that point on. the problem arises should the worst ever happen: you dump the bike or get into an accident or it's stolen. granted on a $2000 bike, it's not as much of a loss as it is with a $200,000 collector car or $50,000 collector bike but it does red flag you for such things in the future as technically it is falsifying documents and could even be insurance fraud.

hope that answers some questions

9. Badbilly

United States
    Randy,

Smee may not know your background as a LEO and I really think he may be one of those guys who wants to stick his probe in your exhaust under the pretense of seeking out gaseous emissions.

10. Twitchy at times

Map
    I agree...it seems odd but then, it got me think that it may also be the difference in climate (?)...

Fuzzy logic theories:
    1) A greater number were sold to the US than to Canada (guys that know, chime in) so different supply & demand equation.
    2) West Coasters can ride pretty well all year so maybe even more landed in Seattle & BC then did in New York & Toronto (where we don't ride for up for 4 mths/year).
    3) The longer West Coast riding option means greater wear & tear, with more bikes being worn out & junked while East Coast bikes obtain less mileage & retain greater value?
    4) These theories may be fundamentally flawed because my bike's originally from Texas, lol

11. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Thanks BB. But I will be the first to say just because you are or were a LEO, does not mean you are always right about everything. I think it is fair to say, I should be expected to have a good insite onto things. Reality is, I always thought things out believe it or not. If I did not have a definitive answer, I sometimes asked others who I expect or suspect would be in the know, such as Shee here. This would give me an idea of where to look and find a definitive correct answer such as what was done here.

I still do this often but not for traffic matter...much anyways. Even though I helped write our Policies and Proceedures, I don't know them but sure know where to look. ANd I don't know our collective agreement but know how to use it and apply it to day to day busness. And right now, I am learning Work Safe BC rules and regulations because of a task handed to me (Safety Committee) (Gawd). But all this ends soon to cause I said guggit and announced my retirement again.

But what has surfaced here yet once again is something I have always thought to be of vast importance. Information is of no importance what so ever unless it is shared. Opinions can be ageed with or not, but facts are facts and may differ from place to place.

Here in the U.F.R.R., the laws are such that soon as I change my mind, the laws change.

12. Badbilly

United States
    So, answer me this. Is there a codification of all this shit this dude in handing out with all these licences, certifications and big hat he claims or is it like here in the state in the vehicle codes. Some state sites even put thiers up on the net.

Me a cop? Nope, almost. I decided to join up with Uncle Sam instead. Of note: I did look at the BC system, and it's paid counterpart and found, unless I have lost my abilty to read English, that both use CarFax. So yes, I am calling BS on this dude. The hole in the story is this: The Canadian system that is being touted is for BC. That makes it regional. I asked if it was pan Canada and what I got back was some bogus shit about this dudes used car lot ;)

I wonder if this dude speaks Japanese? That's where my bike started and yours too. Made in BC? I don't think so.. Good beer, fair pizza and good lookin chicas but no bikes. One small concession and that would be Goldammers shop in the big K.. (sp??) never could get that one right but I can find it on a map.. under K..

13. Badbilly

United States
    The Port of Seattle has a "Honda" dock and there are or were five dealers in the immediate vicinty just for bikes, watercraft ect. The other products like lawnmowers and generators and cars went elsewhere.

The Port of Houston is another large port. The bikes that come into there are of greater displacment than other places. Faster too and get better mileage. ;)

14. Shmee

Shmee New Member

I stated repeatedly I was speaking strictly of BC, as we are one of 2or3 provinces/territories that uses a "public system" vs the majority of the country which uses a "private system" much like the US. although I have heard of numerous instances where carfax was not 100% uptodate in other Prov's who use the "private" system.
    Also, I have no car lot, I just have been through my fair share of cars for the most entertaining of reasons.

I also openly stated we use carfax in our system... It's one of the history checks all incorporated into our unified system which makes it better than a carfax alone! This is because here in BC, carfax is not the standard. Car that have lived their entire lives in BC, as in sold in BC and have never been registered outside of BC, do not show a full history on carfax and often have a fraction of their information listed on carfax. I'm amazed this is so difficult for you to understand, hillbilly, this isn't quantum physics or rocket science.

Seems as though this is more about YOUR ego and the fact that you canot be wrong, to the point that simple reading comprehension is what really is your miss-step in this thread.
    Heaven forbid the laws and function of a system in another country is different than the good'ol USofA. Seems crazy that the rest of the world doesn't live off the grand wisdom employed by the US, i know, but it is the case quite often you know.

Nice to see the level of maturity you employ in you posts with your homosexual reference! :rolleyes:
    And you're considered something special on this site? :rolleyes:

15. Twitchy at times

Map
    The factual information is interesting and the skewed information actually works on a guy like me! Awesome! Thanks, Billy.

16. Badbilly

United States

Skewed a little? Yes, but not entirely false. Short long story.. The first Kawasaki 500 triples were landed at the POH. The local Triumph dealer was selling them. I took ride on one. Not me sez me.. Evil handling beast and way too fast for the rest of the bike and tires. I told this to the sales dude. He scoffed. A few weeks later I am Triumph hunting and this same sales dude tells me that he had not ridding one of the triples they were in the first " intarnation/geromeration" of the bikes and had 80HP.. Yep, bought a Bonneville from him..

We still see those triple engines in real frames with real tires and real suspension in vintage class racing. They go like stink when they hit the pipe.

17. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    That will make me smile during my rainy arse weekend...Tanks ; ) Kinda like ebo-nomics right?

18. Badbilly

United States
    Thanks for being open and coming out. Be wary of norkleboy wno is the resident fag snagger and Chickie who somehow is worried about the competition. So do you roll your eyes a lot?

19. Badbilly

United States

Damn dude! If you are getting rained on, I can get you one of them bigass trashbags for fitty cent.

20. Shmee

Shmee New Member

Sorry, I'm not a gay-bashing homophobe like you are.