New Honda Rider

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by JimFife777, Sep 17, 2017.

1. JimFife777

JimFife777 New Member

Map
    My first Honda, and I gotta say, I have always liked the VFR and Interceptors from the 80's forward, but I'd never ridden one. I was going back and forth with my boss' brother who, after dropping it at a stop sign a couple times, stepped off his VFR as his first bike and bought a 300. Good choice IMHO, so now he can concentrate on his skills rather than how to pick up the bike.

He said he was going to sell it because his wife doesn't like it so I said I'd put the word out for him. Sent me pics and an asking price, but then threw out a "...but I'll give it you for..." price and I couldn't resist. I think it was a good deal.

It's been fun, even though it won't so what I normally ask of a bike, it will do what the others won't. And that is get the wife to willingly get off her bike and get on the back COMFORTABLY! We've always wanted to go places on the bike together and not wear backpacks, etc.

It's a 2003, 41K miles, and runs like a top. I've only had it for almost 2 weeks so I'm still learning about it but the initial pros and cons are:

Pros: smooth as silk on the freeway, new front tire, heated grips, Givi bag, well maintained, Laser Exhaust, a fascination bike of mine since a kid....
    Cons: Needs a rear tire, one heated grip doesn't work, one hinge broke on the Givi bag which I temporarily fixed with 200 mph rated zipties (also fixed the brakes lights in the bag), and the clutch is in its twilight years unless someone can tell me where an adjustment is besides the lever.
    Non-essential: I'd like to eventually get something to tune it with as there's a bit of popping on the de-acceleration, and also speedo-healer the speedo.

Me, I'm of a mature age ;-) Been riding since I could legally, until this bike, have been pretty brand/model loyal, countless street miles and experience, and some track as well. Our yearly ride (referred to as the Willow Creek Ride, or WCR) this year, I started playing around with my first GoPro, so that's been fun.

Every year a group of riders get together for the WCR and do about 1000 miles in the Trinity Alps of Northern Calif, and next year I'm hoping to take a year off from leaving dark stripes everywhere and take the wife with me on the bike.

IMG_2743 (2) (Medium).JPG IMG_2745 (Medium).JPG IMG_2747 (Medium).JPG IMG_2749 (Medium).JPG

Samuel likes this.
  2. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
    Nice, welcome Jim! :)

3. PetePower

PetePower New Member

Australia
    Map
    Welcome, I'm also new to the VFR and lovin it

4. JimFife777