New Laptop vs. Used Honda V4

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by flya750, Feb 25, 2009.

1. flya750

flya750 New Member

United States
    ......tonight I was surfing cycletrader.com looking for a used Honda V4 motorcycle. I did not find many for sale.... I would love to add to my Honda V4 collection (currently a VFR750(3rd gen) and V30 Magna) but indeed I need a new laptop computer. My six year old IBM Thinkpad T43 passed away last week...5:57pm Thursday......no data was lost....but she now sleeps for ever more.

I'm an independent computer consultant and I need a new notebook companion. Instead of adding to the V4 collection, like I would wish for, I must get a new Lenovo Thinkpad W500 notebook....loaded...$2400...the price of a good used Honda V4....

.....in particular I would love to find a V65 Sabre......

but Damn it Jim!.... I must buy a puter....how boring.......;)

...Looking at the bright side...... I will enjoy viewing vfrworld through an awesome new WUXGA LCD window.......

2. betarace

betarace New Member

why not buy a $800 dell and move on? seems an easy decision for me.. the computer will be obsolete in 6 months, but a VFR will last a lifetime and bring a lifetime of memories

3. flya750

flya750 New Member

United States
  4. flya750

flya750 New Member

United States

a $800 Dell....? I'm a professional... I need a professional tool... please...

obsolete in six months? my last notebook lasted six years.....on the original XP installation....

5. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Im no math wiz but I'm thinking if you are used to the comp that sold 6 yrs ago, then then current crop of $399 notebooks with DVD+RW and 15.4" mon should feel just fine and last at least a couple years. At 2yrs for $399 that still means upgrading only 3x or $1200 and each iteration we can presum will be at least a little better than the previous. That's what I did when my last notebook gave up the ghost. The new one cost $399 and has a little more than the one I had before it. And I still have $$ left for motorcycles. But you are right, if you have 2 V-4s you really don't need another... But I do.

6. powderrecon

powderrecon New Member

United States
    Map
    Macbook Pro with VMware. Only way to go.

However I hear ya on the $2400. Once you upgrade memory, screen res, proc, hard drive speed and tac on a 3 year warranty, they get pricey! However being in IT, these upgrades are pretty much a must.

7. betarace

betarace New Member

I am a professional too - the only thing a $2400 laptop does is feed an ego.

8. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Genius.............

:reg:=:nerd::rofl::hail:

9. namaishi

namaishi New Member

Map
    I am in IT as well and am definitely partial to ThinkPads as I use them at work and even purchased one for home.

However, I will agree with other posters that you really don't need to spend $2,400. I ended up getting a very nice refurbished ThinkPad for under $1,000 that had a dual core processor and 2 GB of RAM. I agree with the others that even the top of the line stuff becomes obsolete after a year or two anyways. At some point you have to look at the law of diminishing returns.

10. Seamus07

Seamus07 New Member

Yet another opinion of your notebook - you might save a couple of hundred by buying the thing with the lowest amount of memory they sell and buying the quantity you want from Newegg. Its a PITA to have to do that to a new computer, but manufacturers really get you with upgraded memory.

11. flya750

flya750 New Member

United States
    I was use to the performance of my six year old laptop... at the same time it was holding me back greatly.... I wanted to create DVD movies... I wanted a more powerful music studio computer...I wanted more storage space...but my T43 Thinkpad would not die.. it did a great job for me... but I wanted more...

I actually didn't end up spending $2400. I got away with spending $1800

It is a Thinkpad W500 and loaded... I will put this laptop up against a $1000 notebook any day and four times on Sunday. Race for pink slips?

I'm okay with spending $1800 on a power house....I will use and demand lots from it.

12. flya750

flya750 New Member

United States
    That sounds like sweet combo for my music studio and my IT work.....maybe next time...I cannot live without the Thinkpad little red nimple ;) ;)