New member from Manitoba, Canada

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by iamzombie, Oct 11, 2014.

1. iamzombie

iamzombie New Member

Hello, I'm not a VFR owner currently, but went to check out a mint 2010 VFR 1200 this afternoon and will be picking it up as soon as I can get to a bank, which is tuesday, unfortunately (thanksgiving weekend in Canada, boo!) Can hardly believe the bike only has 1,600 kms on it, with factory hard bags and grip warmers for $8,500 cdn.

Currently I ride a 2007 R1, which I love to death, but as I'll be turning 40 next may, it's unfortunately time to switch things up a bit for a bike a bit more comfortable, but still with some (or lots, from what I read) sportiness.

I've heavily modded my R1, and after a few quick google searches it doesn't look like the VFR 1200 has anywhere near as much aftermarket support. What are the absolute "must have" mods? Obviously that exhaust is the first to go, I like the looks of the DAM but the Comp Werkes looks to be a good choice as well, and is a bit cheaper. Bazzaz z-bomb looks to be a pretty good "bang for the buck" add-on as well, is there any down-side other than the gear indicator showing 3rd in 1st and 2nd?

I doubt there's much love for the tuning forks here, so please be gentle!

2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Welcome to the site from an escapee from the Peg. Ya gotsta post pix or you will be condemned to wa week long stay at the Ox. Or the Mclaren. I think their bell hop has a bad case od scabbies.

Can't help you much with your request. I am sure someone here with a 7th gen will pipe up soon. My so is on Wpg presently but shoukd be leaving there to return to Coquitlam sometime today. Nexf time I ride through I will look you up. I assume you are in Wpg? I love Brandon tbough.

3. iamzombie

iamzombie New Member

Nope, not in the peg... I've been posted to CFB Shilo for 7 years, unfortunately :p The bike in question is in Winnipeg though :)

4. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Thank you for stepping up to the plate. Guess you wanna be carefull riding in the nearby Carberry Desert. Or have they stopped shelling the shit out of that? I rode by your way this past June. Didn't stop there but did for a few days in Regina. Well actually broke down there and had to wait for parts.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  5. iamzombie

iamzombie New Member

Yeah westman is a bit of a disappointment for anyone who rides... almost all of the roads are bumpy, straight and level :(

Have to drive an hour north to get into riding mountain national park, which has about 50-60km of decent twisties. Main reason I decided to switch from the R1 to something a bit more touring oriented. On the bright side it has the factory paniers and heated grips, just need to pick up a center stand and eventually a pipe (and maybe that sweet corbin smuggler seat/trunk)

6. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Did those not come with a center stand? Or did PO take it off, whatever for I will never know.

7. iamzombie

iamzombie New Member

Nope, it was a accessory, same as the bags and grips.

8. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Another Canuk..........Zeeeebus
    :welcome: to the zoo mate :wave:

9. iamzombie

iamzombie New Member

Well, I *would* have been the owner of a 2010 VFR 1200 today, but the current owner forgot to mention he has a lien against the bike that we need to have settled before I can get the bank to cut a cheque :/

Oh well... few more days :)

10. iamzombie

iamzombie New Member

Picked up my 2010 VFR 1200 last night, had 1,364 km on the clock when I picked it up, has over 1,580 after the ride home :p

Pics will come after work...

Initial impressions of the bike:

Pros: Nice instrumentation, decent seat (odd cushioning though, almost feels like theres a gel pancake in the middle), OEM headlight is awesome, brakes are simply staggering
    Cons: Buzzy bars, "empty" engine note, just doesn't thrill like my R1 :p
    meh's: Powerband will take some getting used to (after coming from an R1, in particular), fuel range isn't great (~220km on indicated 3/4 of a tank)

Also, I couldn't find the tiny switch for the Honda heated grips in the dark while riding, lol. A lot smaller than I was expecting :p

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  11. iamzombie

iamzombie New Member

Pics as promised:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bit of a tight squeeze getting my toys all inside my tiny garage at once:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    You have an electric Mustang!

13. iamzombie

iamzombie New Member

I assure you it is not electric, this is Manitoba any car sold new here has to have a block heater by law :p

Unless you were making some V6 crack, in which case, it has more power than the V8 did 4 years ago :p

14. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I lived in Winnipeg and Brandon. Thought you might have picked up and went further with my cold humour. I don't know how old you are, but you should have been around when we had those plastic frost shields stuck to the inside of our car's windows back as late as the early 70's. Drove my Cordoba down to Buenna Park California with those and also the block and interior heater. Told everyone down there the car was electric and had bullet proof glass. I think a lot of them took it hook line and sinker.

Now square tires is another story.

15. iamzombie

iamzombie New Member

I've always had a block heater on my cars (even when I lived in New Brunswick) so I guess I wasn't 100% sure where you were going with that :p

It's definitely true that Manitoba winters are a different type of cold, if anyone had told me before that tires develop flat spots after sitting overnight, I'd have said they were full of it :p

I'm only 39, so I didn't come into the picture until '75 :p

16. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I think my 03 Duramax has a block heater tucked away down in the bowls of the engine somewhere too. We are lucky if we get snow here in Chilliwack. Did you ever serve here before they closed CFB down?

When I lived out there, I cut the chord to my block heater on my old 71 LeMans and replaced the block heater with a pump that went in line in the heater core lines. It had an element inside and circulated the water through the heater core and engine block to some degree I think. Instant heat in -40 weather. Can even remember a blizzard, bad one, where snow had blown up and packed around my parents and brothers and sister's cars under the hood. Perfect impression of the under-hood in the snow yet no snow on the ground below. But mine remained clear. Don't know if those are still around or not.

You haven't experienced life until you have driven a VW beetle up and onto a hard blown snow drift without sinking into the center. ANd heard the snow crunch and squeak underfoot. Those in N Dakota and Minnesota should understand...almost anyways.

17. iamzombie

iamzombie New Member

I've only been in the CF for 10 years, and sadly this has been my only posting since being trades qualified (I'm an Electronic/Optronic Technician... used to be called fire control systems)

I've been pushing for a posting to just about anywhere, but so far the career managers have not been sympathetic, I was supposed to have been posted to Petawawa when I was promoted this summer, but instead they posted me to another unit on base (budget cuts).

Oh well, could be worse... though once winter hits I'll be at a loss to see how ;)

18. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Budget Cuts = higher bonuses for your Executive Branch and bigger pensions for the fuggen MPs. I was a Fed so know all about the shit you put up with. Stay safe.