New Member/ need advice on the VFR

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by hooter13, Apr 7, 2009.

1. hooter13

hooter13 New Member

Hi,
    Just joined the forum but have not bought a VFR yet. I am 54 and have been riding most of my life and own 7 bikes. I am thinking about selling one or two and getting a VFR. I am leaning toward getting a used one just for starters.(Love the 25th AN 2007 but no luck finding a used one). What I have found in the southern Arizona area is a 2005 (red) and a 2006(black). My question is: Is there a year or model to stay away from or one that really stands out? I understand they changed the RPM at which the VTEC comes in from the 2005 to the 2006 model from 7000 to 6400. Is that a good enough reason to look at the 2006/07/08 models even though they are more money? Or is it no big deal.
    Thank, hooter13

2. MrDen

MrDen New Member

I currently have an 07, and it's the only VTEC I've ridden, but I don't know that the different engagement points would be a significant thing. If you're on the throttle, the time between 6400 and 7000 rpm is definitely miniscule.
    I'd say buy whichever one is the better deal. Just my .02

3. jay956

jay956 New Member

buy a third gen :thumbsup:

4. terryb

terryb New Member

I believe there is at least one 25th Anniv. for sale on this forum. For Sale section. They sure are pretty.

5. OMGaVFR

OMGaVFR New Member

I don't know the exact changes that were made to the v-tec engine, but as I understand it was a lot more noticeable in the pre-2006 models.

I guess that can be good or bad depending on your desires. I had a friend that rode an 02 for a while and said it was kind of annoying to get the additional boost while cornering, however it was fun on the straights.

I personally just got an 07 rwb and from my first 300 miles i can tell you the v-tec is hardly noticeable. Sure I can hear it every time it kicks on, but I hardly notice a powerboost. Certainly not enough to throw you off mid-corner.

My advice is go with the 07 rwb. That way we can be twins.

6. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    I like my 6th Gen but I really wish that it had gear driven cams like my 3rd Gen. As far as the VTEC goes I personally don't care for it. It doesn't bother me to the point that I would sell my bike because of it but I really don't think that all the extra engineering that went into it make a huge difference in performance. If I could turn back time I probably would have bought a decent used 5th Gen instead since it has catless headers and the gear driven cams that I love.

What kinda bikes do you currently own?

Regards,
    Rollin

7. Fazer1Sniper

Fazer1Sniper New Member

The Wifie loves the gen 3 and tells EVERYONE that she does. Little brother bought a gen 6 last year out of the crate and it was quickly stolen just after its first oil change. He has a line on a gen 5 I hope he gets. Still an inline one liter bike guy my self. Im not as enlightened yet... though i gotta admit my gen 1 magna was awesome before it's electrical fried to the point of no repair

Attached Files:

8. Marley Davidson

Marley Davidson New Member

Map
    Wow! You have one bike for each day of the week...cool!!!!!!!

The guys pretty much said everything, I can not talk about the Vtec because I don't own one, and never even took an RC46 for a ride...

I'm sure that the Vtec owners will help you with any doubt you may have about the bike.
    I dont know what "specimens" you have in your garage but i'm certain that you will not be disapointed with the Viffer.

9. cstmvfrguy

cstmvfrguy New Member

Map
    i've heard the 3rd gen was the best for outright performance. depends what your looking for in a bike they went toward more of a sport tourer than a sportbike with the later of the generations. just my .02