New Project bike hits the stable - '90 VFR750

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by tinkerinWstuff, Apr 2, 2010.

1. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
  2. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Interesting stuff

I bought my primer, paint, and filler at the same time all from the same Sherwin Williams automotive finishes store. I'm assuming compatibility shouldn't be an issue. The blemishes I refer to on the tank (that I considered glazing putty for) resemble mini pin holes in a previous primer coat, around the edges of where HONDA decal used to be on the side. I wouldn't necessarily have to worry about them because they are few, hardly noticeable, and right where the next decal will go. I don't think I could even take a picture and have it show.

3. betarace

betarace New Member

Some artists are known to solely paint with their hands, as a way to become more intimate with the process. These artists do not use traditional fingerpaint. This style, "Reckless Art," is most accurately categorized as a sub-genre of outsider art. Painters like Tyler Ramsey have vowed never to touch a brush, but the use of surgical gloves for safety is common when using toxic oils. Tyler Ramsey claims that, "Rejecting brushes gives a painter the opportunity to approach the craft from a fresh perspective." "Reckless Art" started in 2002 as a way to refute the idea that "Everything has been done already."

Finger painting artist Nick Benjamin claims he "prefers to paint using fingers as the technique results in a real bond between the artwork and artist and allows for some intricate blending not achievable with brushes".

Outsider artist Jimmy Lee Sudduth explained that he painted with his fingers because they "never wore out" the way brushes did.

4. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    More work happening today. I hate to call it progress because it feels like it's never ending. Here are photos of plastic welding. You can also see some finished and some unfinished fiberglass. Notice the pain in the ass fixturing required to do a good job on plastic welding.

replacing a broken tab:
    [​IMG]

another view of new tab before welding, all fixtured up, and ready for the torch:
    [​IMG]

New tabs for the upper. One welded and one not. Still have to cut in for the plastic standoff that goes with the tab on the right of the frame. Built my own standoff by rolling and welding from a flat piece of plastic.
    [​IMG]

My worst lower. Unfinished fiberglass reconstruction of bodyline, repaired crack, and repaired tab:
    [​IMG]

5. 2wheel`tone

2wheel`tone New Member

Map
    Still a long way to go.

Some progress is better than none I guess.

6. dcompson

dcompson New Member

Keep it up, i cant wait to see what it's going to look like when you are done.

7. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Insurance, title, and registration taken care of today. Wifey is going grocery shopping and rented a chick-flick so looks like I've got an evening in the garage to work on this more.

8. elwray

elwray New Member

United States
    Map
    Enjoy the night then!!

9. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    I think the camera is showing the color pretty close to reality. Being a metallic, the shade or brightness changes a lot depending on the lighting. Originally I had the tank up against the garage wall again like some of the plastics shown earlier in the thread. I ended up having trouble getting proper coverage in the area where you knee would be on the tank. Long story short, I ended up with two runs I will have to sand out in a couple days when things set up good. Live and learn :pout: Suspended in free air is clearly the best way to go..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Non-progress pics for anyone who gives a shit - except Norcalboy

test fit of plastics. several mounts had to be tweaked. The tail has needed the most massaging so far. I'm guessing someone used the grab handles to ratchet the bike down in a trailer because those mount points needed to be adjusted with a BFH. Also had to reapply some heat to the right side tail and adjust the plastic a bit in order to get body lines to match up with the center section. Tomorrow's goal is to get the repairs completed on both mids.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Cool Tink.

I know a little about the mis-aligned or tweaked mounts. Can have you scratching your head LOL!

BZ

12. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    I was debating about doing a test fit. Probably leaning more toward skipping it. Billy piped up in another thread with some smart ass comments about the importance of a test fit. Something about ladies looking hot at bar close time but rolling over the next morning and finding you brought home a troll. I'd say the test fit proved very important so far and I haven't even tried to get the mids in there yet.

13. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Go for the test fit. You may find a new level of anger if you scratch up the new paint trying to get everything to line up and have to take panels on and off several times.

14. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Does this mean you are throwing Norcalboy over for moi? I was about to start a thread pitting you and Norcalboy against the numbnuts twins in a knock down drag out WWW SMACKDOWN style full costume tag team match. ;)

Yep, that plastic will bend some but the dies and molds that are used in forming the pieces are as precision as the same for any of the hard parts. Scratch that new paint and you will be pissed bigtime. If you are still lining up that tail section that is coming apart everytime you touch the sucker, cut off the long piece of a plastic coat hanger and hold the thing together by shoving the length of rod into the holes that fit the protrusions near the front of the seat. If the plastic part of the rear cowling that is secured by the two bolts with the rubber grommet is toast for one reason or another, these are subjected to a lot of pressure and it is likely the plastic "fix" is going to fail. A fix is to use adhesive that is found to work and adding a couple of thin metal washers on either side of the repair. Same deal on the othrer side to keep it all level and plumb.

Gotta tell ya that I don't think any epoxy or polyester fix is gonna last. Two really disparate materials there. ...and you ain't nearly ready for paint..

15. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Look on the previous page....

16. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Just reread thread and was thinking it was almost complete.........title and registration done and running to boot.....you gotta be chomping at the bit to ride it!

17. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    sitting on it this morning. leaning over, twisting the throttle, and making vroom vroom noises until I noticed I was getting spit all over the tank that hasn't been clear coated yet.

18. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Well, here it is, another non-progress photo. all the plastic repairs are complete. Filler is all applied and sanded. Garage is cleaned, blown out, and vacuumed.

Not doing a pre paint fitup would have been a complete disaster. Had to use the plastic welder to reheat several panels to get them to fit properly and to get the body lines to match up.

Softball on Monday, out of town Tuesday-Thursday. And with crap going on the next three weekends I don't know if I'll have this done before the 4th of July.

TOE, that crate has been utterly priceless as a workbench in the garage. Now it will move on to it's third role since I've had it - paint booth.

[​IMG]

19. betarace

betarace New Member

2wheel'tone would give you $500 for that Corbin.

20. 2wheel`tone

2wheel`tone New Member

Map
    No, lets make is a 1,000 cash. my soul, ownership to my first born, and a bj from my wife ?

Interested?

Talked to the post office, sent you a pm. I really hope you have received them.