New Rider of a 5th gen VFR

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by bensmizzale, Aug 7, 2013.

1. bensmizzale

bensmizzale New Member

I just wanted to write and introduce myself to the forum. I have been riding a Ninja 250 for about a year now and am getting my VFR this weekend (1999 vfr800).

My next task is to look for HONDA RED gear that is decently priced. I have a bunch of hi-viz gear from the ninja, but I know I will want to upgrade soon. Should I wait until the end of the "riding season" for hopefully some deals? Any suggestions on jackets or helmets that match the HONDA RED well? My fear is that I buy something that is red online and it turns out to be a totally different tint of red.

I know, not the most troubling worries in the world, but just wanted to see if the community had any thoughts.

Thank you all, and I hope that these forums become a good support for myself and others.

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Firstly a warm welcome to the MadHouse:welcome:

I am sure the weekend can't come soon enough. We are looking forward to you posting up some pictures of your new VFR.

As for clothing, the official Honda stuff will be top quality but at a price. This website will give you some ideas of what genuine stuff is out there.

http://ww1.honda.co.uk/bladeday2/pdf/joeRocket.pdf

If funds are tight, then its probably sensible to focus less on the looks and more on the quality in the first instance - as your first few riding years are your highest risk period. That way you can always save up so you can buy the "ideal stuff" second time around.

Over the years Honda have released bikes in several different Red colours (which are always the fastest :potstir:), so I doubt anyone will give you grief if the colour shade of your jacket is not a perfect match... but each to his own.

Hopefully some of the folks on your side of the pond can give you some pointers of where you may find decent quality stuff at reasonable prices. Over here the best time to buy tends to be in the autumn when dealers are attempting to clear-out old/discontinued stock - often at massively reduced prices, especially if you need either very small or large sizes. From time to time Hein Gericke - who make some quality biking gear, use eBay to clear old stock at big discounts.

PS You may want to update your forum profile to include location and details of your bike so it appears with every forum post.

Take care

SkiMad

3. Bryan88

Bryan88 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

South Africa
    Map
    Welcome aboard. Skimad is right about finding the exact red to match your bike. Personally (as a cheapskate and fashion moron) I would go for a black/grey mix with flashes of red where any colour discrepancies wouldn't show up as much. Again, focus more on quality than looks and buy the best you can afford.

4. bensmizzale

bensmizzale New Member

Thank you to all the responses so far.

I am looking to not spend a fortune -- especially if I choose to switch my helmet. It seems quality should be my main focus. I have bought Bilt gear in the past and have been disappointed with their apparel. I know some of the top gear makers, but what are some brands -- or specific gear -- that is great quality for a REASONABLE price.

5. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Welcome aboard and congrats on the soon to be new bike.

Gear is like Ford vs. Dodge vs. Chevy. Everyone will have their good or bad things to say about one brand. Me? I like First Gear.

You can also check out various sites for closeouts. These aren't necessarily bad items, they might just be the old model year. I've done all my on line shopping with MotorcycleGear. I like their reviews, and have had great experiences with customer service. Here's a link to their closeouts.

Closeouts :: MotorcycleGear.com

6. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    QUALITY gear doesn't come from China.