New Tyres

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by ManxVFR, May 30, 2020.

1. ManxVFR

ManxVFR New Member

Isle of Man
    Map
    Any recommendations for new tyres ?
    I need to replace both, currently still on the original Dunlop roadsmart D222.
    Thinking of changing to Dunlop roadsmart 3 after reading this recent tyre review:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

VFRIRL likes this.
  2. Vulcanator

Vulcanator New Member

United States
    I have my second set of Bridgestone T31's on my VFR, and I've been very happy with them. I opted for the GT version, but then I don't get to swap tyre brands on a whim to assess one set compared to another.

ManxVFR likes this.
  3. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    My experience with RS3, neutral handling, careful in the wet or cold/wet. Good summer tire to me. Slightly softer compound would be PR4, T31's (a good all around tire). I'm not a fan of the PR4 front tread pattern, so with it have run Metzeler Z6, Angel GT.
    I have no experience with Dunlop 222 so can't comment on their compounds.

ManxVFR likes this.
  4. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Wow Andy - the eternal question. And as always the best choice really depends on what sort of riding you expect to do with your 8th Gen.

Every time I have visited the island, I have endeavoured to get up really early to enjoy a lap or two whlilst the roads remain quiet before the crowds have finished breakfast. However early morning tends to mean the mountain road still has plenty of damp patches (or complete fog) so whilst all the top tyre Brands offer very capable tyres for your VFR, every tyre is inherently a compromise between grip, longevity and cost. Like the PR3s, Dunlops certainly give great dry road grip and are a fabulous track day choice - so living where you do, they would certainly be great fun choice - but it does mean you will be buying new ones somewhat more often.

Obviously if you are only likely to be riding on often damp island roads, I would however be tempted to consider the somewhat better wet grip from the Metzeler even if they are a bit more expensive. Every year the TT shows all too clearly what can happen if you even brush those stone walls at speed.

If however, you are planning to set out on longer cross continent/motorway trips, then I suggest you consider more touring focused tyres, which do not offer quite such awesome cornering performance, but will cover far more miles before the tyre starts to square off and makes riding unpleasant. Hence for me I find the Bridgestone T31 with its multi compound set-up provides the best mix of cost, mileage and performance. The wear resistant central rubber strip stays in shape despite me raciking up huge motorway mileages around Europe, whilst the bands of much more sticky rubber on the sides of the T31s are always ready to give impressive and confident cornering at anything below lunatic speed.

Whatever you choose, it would be fun to compare notes next time I am over.

SkiMad

Vulcanator likes this.
  5. ManxVFR

ManxVFR New Member

Isle of Man
    Map
    Yes, the eternal question !
    Thanks for the extensive review skimad, much appreciated

6. Tiutis

Tiutis New Member

United States
    Map
    RS3 is a good tire. I have nearly 5K miles on them and they are on the last quarter of its tire wear. I liked RS2 too, it's supposed to be a longer lasting RS series tire but I'm sure if it's going to be much difference. If you find it for less money than some other top choices, I'd say go for it.

ManxVFR likes this.
  7. Leoffensive

Leoffensive New Member

United States
    Map
    roadsmart 3's have been pretty good for me. just be careful when they are cold

ManxVFR likes this.
  8. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Dunflops tend to be a little harder compounds than others... if you are a very aggressive rider, I'd say choose something else. Wet OK, cold not so good, OK in the hot weather.
    Perhaps also try Pirelli Angel GT's, good in wet and a tad softer compound, wear well (likely same as T31's) and evenly. Have heard nothing but good comments from anybody that uses them. Won't quite last as long as RS3.

9. VeeferEX250r

VeeferEX250r New Member

United States
    I just got a set of RS3, how cold are we talking here, -1°C and below, or just not warmed up in general? Is it the front or the rear that could be an issue, I have not swapped the front yet, still on original d222, wore out pretty smooth, mostly in center and about 50% on the edges.
    Was considering Angel GT also. RS3 supposed to last longest supposedly, will see.

10. ManxVFR

ManxVFR New Member

Isle of Man
    Map
    Well, I opted for the Bridgestone T31’s, really due to the recommendations from you guys
    Not had chance to put any mileage on them as yet, was literally just ridden home and put in the garage after getting them fitted !

But certainly notice the difference with new tyres, on guess I just got used to how bad the old ones had become !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

VeeferEX250r likes this.
  11. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Once the ambient temps get below say 40-50, the RS3's with their harder compounds start to grip less, and of course the colder it gets or wetter it gets, just be more careful and not as aggressive. In the heat and dry, no worries. I personally prefer grip over longevity and want confidence in my tars.

12. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    The” harder” touring type tyres operate far better than “sports” tyres at cooler temps due to having more silica in them.

13. VeeferEX250r

VeeferEX250r New Member

United States
    Well, I prefer grip also, though so far I feel my new RS3 grip much better than old D222 on the rear at least. After 400miles i felt the TC kick in but allowed me to actually accelerate, so that is a start, and i did ride in sub freezing temps a few times last year. Compared to old ones when the TC kicked it, it just bogged down the bike completely and wouldn't let me go for
    3-5 seconds. So I consider that a win there.
    I was more interested in any personal accounts you had with the RS3's, I take it you ride on GT or T31s? I do want to try GT or maybe ST next.

14. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    The RS3's are OK, just manage them.. TC kicking in tells you something. No more Dunflops for me. I am currently running an Angel GT on the rear and Shinko Raven front. I wouldn't hesitate PR4/5, T31, Angel GT, Metzeler Road 01's... all similar in compound hardness.

15. VeeferEX250r

VeeferEX250r New Member

United States
    I am talking at wide open throttle, hard start, anything with power would do that in first gear. On a cbr600 the wheel just comes up, but since the vfr has TC and wheel lift control, that is why it does that. Anyway, fresh tires are always better at traction. I will see how I like these and if the performance lasts, plus what milage I will get out of the rear and the wear pattern. I read about Angel GT and seems they wear out a bit faster and tend to square off easier than the RS3s. I was considering to get A-spec GTs maybe for next set.

16. PetePower

PetePower New Member

Australia
    Map
    I replaced my OEM with the Roadsmart 3 and very happy with results so far.

17. ukiboy

ukiboy New Member

United Kingdom
    I’ve got a new set of tyres on order: Avon Storm 3D XM.
    A bit ‘previous generation’ but that’s what my bike came with anyway (Bridgestone T30)
    I wanted the Spirit ST but the tyre fitters either couldn’t or didn’t want to find them.
    No matter, I’ve been quoted £225 for the Storm 3D supplied and fitted which I think is very cheap.
    I used the Storm 2 Ultra years ago on a Deauville and a CBF1000 and I was very impressed with those so hopefully these new tyres will be good.

18. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Those Avons got many good reviews, I think you'll be happy.

19. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Ill vouch for the Avons Here is what is left of the set I've just taken off my r1200rt. Paid £139 for a pair, do my own fitting.
    20200720_154025.jpg 20200721_085717.jpg

20. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Remember there's a coupla hundred miles left after you see metal cords, lol... duct tape can extend that... maybe.