NEW VFR RIDER FROM BELGIUM

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by VFRBELGIUM, Dec 30, 2019.

1. VFRBELGIUM

VFRBELGIUM New Member

Belgium
    Hi Guys and girls,

I recently bought a 5th gen vfr800 in quite a good condition. Completely stock .
    Bike has been put away 10 years ago and hasn't been ridden much since.

At this stage i'm doing some small repairs so it will run even more smootly as it runs now. I will be doing below:
    -NEW BALL HEAD BEARINGS
    -NEW OIL + FILTER
    -NEW COOLANT - FLUSH SYSTEM (I'M DOUBTING IF I WILL REPLACE THERMOSTAT ASWELL)
    -NEW THERMO SWITCH FAN (DOESN'T COME UP SO I BELIEVE ITS BROKEN)
    -NEW FORK OIL + GASKETS
    -NEW FRONT - REAR WHEEL BEARINGS
    -NEW GASKETS IN THE FRONT BRAKES AND NEW BRAKE PADS AS THEY BITE TO MUCH, I MIGHT REDO THE REAR BRAKE ASWELL
    -NEW AIRFILTER (IM DOUBTING IF I WILL BUY A K&N OR IF I WILL STICK WITH OEM)
    -BLINKING BREAK LIGHT AND STRONGER HEADLIGHT
    -INSTALL 12V SOCKET WITH INTEGRATED VOLTAGE METER

My rectifier still works ok, but i think it is still the original one. I don't get any strange reading on the multimeter but the plug was somewhat corroded so i cleaned this one and put some petrol jelly around it.

If i'm stuck with something you will hear me in the technical section :).

I hope to have all this things solved by April,
    as I'm having two other projects aswell this winter (leathercraft + black powder shooting).

BRGDS,
    Jeroen

Attached Files:

2. raYzerman

raYzerman Insider

Canada
    Map
    Welcome! Sounds like a similar list I'm using for my recently acquired Gen5... before you replace the rad fan temp sensor, take the side fairings off and check the coolant level.... mine was low by a lot and the reservoir was empty. I am surprised there is no relay in that circuit.....

3. VFRBELGIUM

VFRBELGIUM New Member

Belgium
    Hi RaYzerman,

I already flushed my cooling system and changed the coolant.
    I was hoping that this would be sufficient but it wast ..

4. OOTV

OOTV Member

Welcome to The World! I've been to Belgium once but that was 20+ years ago though, I'm sure the beer is just as good today as it was back then! More for this forum though, how's the riding over there?

5. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi Jeroen and Welcome to the Forum:Welcome:

It sounds like your 5th Gen is being given a thorough refresh. Certainly having your own bike lift should make sorting ou the bike a lot easier.

If the VFR has mostly been parked for 10 years you should check the date codes on the tyres. Even if they still have plenty of tread there is a risk with really old tyres delaminating with no warning which is certainly nothing you want to happen at top speed on the autoroute.

Take care - ATGATT

SkiMad

6. VFRBELGIUM

VFRBELGIUM New Member

Belgium
    Hi OOTV,
    Thanks for the welcome, sure the beer is still fine, I actually live about 5 miles of a very famous abbey (westmalle) and 3 miles of a good honda bike parts dealer :)! Its handy but costly.
    Riding in Belgium, well... After riding in the Alps and other beautifull parts in Europe, Belgium isn't that fun.

OOTV likes this.
  7. VFRBELGIUM

VFRBELGIUM New Member

Belgium
    Hi Atgatt,

I will replace the tires aswell as they are about 15 years old and they are hard as a rock. I won't replacing them myself but i've found a shop that pulls on tires and balances the wheel for €12. If you bring your own tires he charges €17. I have put tires on on my africa twin earlier, but this VFR turns out to be something more sophisticated :O. I have never saw so much hoses onder a tank as with this one. My africa twin had 2. 1 fuel and 1 overflow