Newb hello and question on hauling

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Eagle, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Eagle

Eagle New Member

Hi I'm Eagle. I just took the plunge today after lurking and reading. :ninja: Looks like a cool place for help and info and you guys (and some other friends) sold me on the bike. This post is to introduce me and to ask for your help.

I bought an 07 VFR w/ ABS today from a dealer in AR and am going to drive from Montgomery AL this week to pick it up. Question is... will it fit in the back of my 98 Chevy Z-71 truck (extended cab, so the bed is short)?
    It looks like the bike specs say 85" long. My bed is ~78" long with the tail gate up, 100" with it down and the box is 95 inches in length with the gate up, if measured diagonally. Has anyone hauled their bike in the back of a truck? Any tips to pass along? I'll fork over the bucks for a trailer but I'd rather not deal with it if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance for the help! :thumbsup:

Eagle

2. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    If you know someone with one of these devices or you buy one and install it in the truck, they really will make your life easier, I am getting one soon for my trailer after having seen three or four in use on various guy's trailers and in the beds of their trucks

Pingel Series E Track Wheel Chock Systems at BikeBandit.com

This of course isnt the only style or company out there making them, but after seeing how well they work, I am a convert. I know it may be only for this trip, but think how pissed you'll be if you scratch it up or it falls over

There may be some members here that have a similar one or know of a better price.

3. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Just place the bike diagonal, lock the steering and wedge the front wheel in the bed corner. Strap down either side of the front and the rear to keep it stable. Leave it in gear. Without a wheel chock I always haul them this wheel regardless of the truck bed's length.

Or pick up that wheel chock and leave the tailgate down. Strapped down the majority of the bike's weight should be on the front tire.

4. Eagle

Eagle New Member

thx

Thanks guys. I think I am going to Harbor Freight tomorrow and see if they have a front wheel chock. I'm thinking I can mount that to a half sheet of 3/4" plywood I have and sue that and straps on either side with the gate down as my primary and the diagonal as the secondary option. - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

5. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map

That looks like the hot ticket........I knew there were others making chocks out there, didnt think of Harbor Freight, although I should have since they have every imaginable cheap china dohickey out there heehee.

Good luck bro, BTW I just saw a guy with one of those chocks haul a Vstrom forn Az To central Ca in the bed of his clubcab with the tailgate down, no problemo

6. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm probably stating the obvious, but make sure you got a decent set of ramps to get it in and out of the bed. The VFR isn't exactly a featherweight.

7. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    +1

I've done this for my VFR and I have to say this is really a 2-man operation. You need one guy on the bike to ride it up and the other to tie it down. It's even worse if the bike has a flat tire, trust me I know from experience. :thumbsup:

For the ramps, some cheap plywood boards aren't gonna cut it. You better get some steel ramps or if you're really tight on money at least make a ramp using 2x4s and plywood boards.

8. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    Welcome aboard, Eagle. Good luck getting her home safe.

9. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    Second getting some decent ramps, I think I even saw Home Depot is renting them now?

And, don't ride it up the ramp. Probably fine 9 times out of 10 but that one time you stall, lose your balance or whatever the bike is going down over the edge with you on it. Get a second ramp to walk the bike up and in to the wheel chock. And make sure the ramp is secured to the tailgate or truck with pins or a safety lanyard.

I bolted a couple 4x4's to my bed as a wheel chock. You're only trying to keep the front wheel from turning while transporting.

Good luck.

10. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    Once you get it tied down (with another person sitting on it, put the kickstand up. That will beat the hell out of the bed of your truck, and can't be good on the stand, either.

11. monk69

monk69 New Member

Don't forget to compress the shocks an inch or so when you strap it down. That allows for the sraps stretching when you hit a bump or whatever.....

12. willywil

willywil New Member

what price are you paying? I am supposed to pick up a 07 red non abs for 8100 this weekend

13. Eagle

Eagle New Member

woot!

Thanks for all the info and tips guys.
    I own a good steel ramp but having another is smart... I had a bit of a hard time getting my Dr-200 up and down just standing on the ground.

Wily, its 8399 out the door for the bike with 0 miles. Sweetened the deal with a 2000 trade on my 07 Suzuki Dr-200. So I'll be paying 6399 and end up with only one bike in the garage. My wifes not happy with any bike but she'd be pissed about 2. I got the look tonight when I told her I'd be driving 16 hours this weekend with my son to go get a new bike.
    So, I'll get some celibacy practice for a while... but I'll ride with a smile!:thumbsup:

14. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

Do not, for even a second, question buying a quality chock. They are worth their weight in gold. I use the Condor SC2000 since I have them bolted to my trailer.

For your situation, I recommend this:

[​IMG]

Condor Motorcycle Products

Simply place this chock against the head board of your Chevy, roll the bike in, put a ratchet strap (never use the crappy tension straps) on each passenger peg pulling FORWARD, connect them to the anchors in the bed of the truck & you're set. If your truck doesn't have tie downs, now would be a good time to add them. An alternative would be to mount 2 sturdy eyelets to the holes on the arms of the chock. As you can see in the photo, the bike will sit upright by itself. I take my bikes to NC every year & I've never had an issue with this procedure.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2:

15. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    That is one cool looking chock KC. I am going to steal the idea and get with my buddy with the tig welder and see if we can come up with one on our own. Thanks for posting the pick bro.

16. Eagle

Eagle New Member

Oooh

Thanks Eng!
    I think for the long run, I will end up getting a wider set of ramps and the condor. There is a guy in Prattville, AL who sells and installs them with the quick release bed attachment but I can't get up there before Friday night to get it done. I found a U-haul motorcycle trailer for $15 a day (have to return it where you got it but that's ok in this case).

BTW, I am a former C-130, now KC-135 pilot. You active or reserve?

17. pjm204

pjm204 New Member

no one has mentioned that you should probably pick up a Canyon Dancer bar strap to avoid the tie downs contacting your fairings...I have both chocks from Harbor Freight and they work well and are very heavy duty.

18. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

I'm active & stationed at McGuire/KWRI. I've been in for 17.5 & sew on MSgt in 2 or 3 months.

If you use the method I described, a Canyon Dancer isn't necessary. The roll in & snap in place chocks take the place of a CD. Now that I have 2 chocks, I never use the harness & I have 2 of them collecting dust. Up until I dropped the bike onto myself in the garage, the only damage on my VFR was from a POS bar harness working it's way loose. I trailer my bikes 750 one way with only a strap from each passenger peg bracket.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2:

19. Eagle

Eagle New Member

Thanks!

Whew! After an 860 mile round trip with a U-Haul open trailer, I have my new 2007 Candy Red VFR in my garage!!
    It rained most of the way back yesterday so there was lots of splatter on the bike from the road. I woke up this morning and its raining here too. I plan on washing it and wiping it down with the Simonize polymer stuff the dealer gave me and then riding it, rain be damned!

Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

20. 'Seppi

'Seppi New Member

Show the girl some love, Eagle. That was a long haul for her being spat on most of the way. Sounds like you'll have the time anyway with more rain and the whole forced celibacy thing...sorry about that part!