Nitro X Fuel Commander - who has bought one

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by tanrush, Jul 7, 2009.

1. tanrush

tanrush New Member

I saw this Nitro X Fuel Commander (Item number 220414086905) on ebay this morning and wondered if anyone has bought one. It claims to be a product like the PCIII (plug and play) without all the hassle in remapping to set it up. The seller is from Greece and it is about 50.00 shipped.
    Anyone??? Thanks
    Tom
    www.tomspinballcycle.com

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  2. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    Damnit Tom! Am I gonna have to buy THAT thing too!? :biggrin:

3. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    What hassle? It literally takes a second to squirt in a map. Even cooler, you can get them FREE! The ability to modify them as you modify your bike is also a nice feature.

If you look at the product it has a set of switches on the top of the box. By setting these switches you change the fuel pluses. Why its so cheap, that change is what you get over the entire throttle range. Why are Boxes like the PC III or PC V (to which you can add to a second box that reads a wide band 02 sensor) so expensive? The ability to add a map that takes into account things like throttle position and RPM.

Maybe if you added some slick 50, a chip, and the Nitro X, you could get up around 200HP. J/k prob about 150ish at the most ...........

Action

4. VifferDude

VifferDude New Member

That Slick 50 is good shit

5. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    DUDE, that's all it takes? Why didn't anyone ever tell me? I feel so misled...

I'm off to my local autoparts store, I'm sure they have all that!

6. tanrush

tanrush New Member

Everyone has a smart answer but yet they never answer the simple questions.
    Tom

7. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    What exactly do you want to know? Is it worth $50? Not IMO. Will it help your bike run better? It may help in in a certain RPM range but it will be at the expenese of the other ranges. If your thinking its a good deal, pony up the cash and throw it on.

Action

8. Knife

Knife Member

United States
    My Daddy always told me, if it sounds too good to be true, then it's most likely too good to be true. But I wouldn't mind if someone else bought one, installed it, and provided pre- and post-dyno results. That's just how altruistic a guy I am.

9. tanrush

tanrush New Member

Action
    I am not trying to be an ass so pardon me if I was. I don't see any value in the stupid answers (Put some slick 50 in it) to a real question.
    My original intent was to find out if anyone on his forum had bought this, installed it and what was their results. I know it sounds too good to be true but according to the guys feedback a bunch of people have been buying these things. Does it work as good as the PCIII, probably not, but I don't know, is it worth 50.00????? I just wanted an opinion from someone that bought one.
    Tom

10. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    pretty sure the j/k in the midst of his ribbin you meant "just kidding".

it's just the internet. it's like a bunch of buddies hanging out and one says somethin and you see an opening to aggravate. some like to do it more than others, and some give as well as take. it's fun, give it a try.

11. Knife

Knife Member

United States
    I do. Half the fun of this site is the outrageous humor and statements made by the members. The other half is the valuable help, wisdom, and guidance unselfishly provided just for the asking. I want both, and I get it here in spades. I've learned a whole lot here, and have laughed my ass silly in the process. I vote for keeping things the way they are (not that this is a democracy, of course).

12. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    I went here: Nitro X Fuel Commander ,Car & Motorcycle Parts & Accessories by BK racing parts

It shows an apparent link to chips/units for motorcycles, but when clicked on, it only lists cars. There is no apparent way to search for a particular model car/truck/bike/vehicle application.

There are a number of questions about the Nitro X (do a google search) on a number of forums. The consensus is that the claims are bogus.

I agree with the above statement by Action, you may see a change in performance, but not across the whole RPM range.

Is it worth $50? Probably. Buy it, try it out, post some before and after results so others can also evaluate it's effectiveness. Or, save some money and get a real Power Commander. I'll have to look at the e-bay item later as I cannot do so from work.

13. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    I too did an Google search. The only hit I got was from one person who had purchased it and apparently didn't like it.

nitrox on tl1000r - TLZone Forums

All the other hits were from forums (remarkably like this one) that claimed it was crap and thus discouraged the person asking the question from purchasing.

So those forums (remarkably like this one) didn't learn anything about it.

14. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    Tanrush,
    No problem, I like to mess with people. I also like to help out where I can. The slick 50 comment was made as a joke. If you put up a post with what I consider a highly suspect product, your going to take some shots.

Seriously, if you look at how these products attach into VFR's electrical and fuel system I think you'll get a better idea of whats possible.

Action

15. tanrush

tanrush New Member

OT - Rant / New technology

I am old enough to remember when made in Japan meant junk. I remember the first Honda CVCC cars were about the size of the smart car. In the late 70's the Honda cars had so much rust on them it was amazing you could still drive them. Now Honda cars means quality. How many of you drive a Kia or Hyundia, same story.

Today the PCIII is the standard mod for fuel injection for motorcycles but what about next year, 5 years from now. How many of you still have a house phone, not me, but 5 years ago everyone did. Technology changes, sometimes it is the bad products that turn into the next best thing. For the record, I bought one, probably a waste of 50 bucks. I will let you know.
    Tom

16. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    Tom,
    I hope it works out for you. Depending on how it attaches to the electrical system, you'll probably need to disable your 02 sensors.

I'm still waiting for one of you smart guys out there to hack the ECU. Then you could fab up a switch and have separate engine maps. You could alter the VTEC engagement point, timing, and fuel. Power commander has a new box that works with a wide band 02 sensor so you could set up a closed loop system that adjusts you A/F mixture for the different maps.

Action

17. tanrush

tanrush New Member

The results

I started this one so here is my update. I bought one and installed it finally. The install took me about 1.5 hours, gas tank was almost half full, big mistake that thing is heavy so my son had to help me since I did not want to remove the tank so he held it for me. Remove the top of the air filter housing, K&N needed a cleaning (good time to do it), Also you could change the 2 back spark plugs if you wanted. I removed the 4 velocity stacks (black plastic tubes in the breather box) disconnected a few hoses and wire harness. You have to get to the IAT sensor plug. The IAT sensor is white and is on the left side and you are to disconnect it and plug in 2 wires into it and tape it up so it does not wiggle out. I mounted the unit just right of my left handlebar on the flat area with velcro tape and zip tied the wire to another wire to make sure it does not get yanked out. Be careful putting everything back together. One of my hoses under the tank was very short and it was a pita.

So here is the answer you have been looking for. Does it work? My opinion is yes, my bike feels quicker, better response and throttle seems smoother. Don't get me wrong it did not create a wheelie machine and I am not claiming any horsepower gain. The K&N was only slightly dirty so I don't think it was much of a factor, quick clean and reoiled it. I don't have any proof, wasn't dynoed but I thought my bike ran too lean to begin with. I am still playing with it riding with different settings. It has 15 and I have only used 3 so far and have many more to try. I have not found any flat spots or issues on the ones I have used so far. Your mileage may vary. Save your money and I will give you another update after I try several more settings before I give my wholeheart endorsement.
    Tom

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  18. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    you took off the throttle bodies?
    you mean velocity stacks?

19. tanrush

tanrush New Member

Here I go again, Still happy with the results on my VFR. I like the 40-50 percent setting best.
    Now for the rest of the story. I bought a 2002 CBR 600 in December 09. The first couple of times I got to sneak in a ride and it had no low in power. I thought it was having problems warming up because it took a while before it had enough power to drive up the hill in my driveway. Bike barely made it up. Anyway, the smart guy that I am, I mod the new stock air filter by cutting off that mesh screen that covers it. Big mistake, it already has no low end power and I just made things worse. It is running lean and now it cuts out and stalls trying to make it up the driveway. I have to push it up. I didn't want to take off the one on my VFR for a test run because it was such a PITA to install the first time. Ok, I don't have 300 dollars for a new PCIII so I just happen to be looking on ebay at the Nitro X fuel commander and there is an used one for sale for 25.00 shipped. (The guy got an used PCIII from his buddy) What can it hurt the bike is already unrideable since I modded the air filter. Luckily, the CBR IAT sensor was much easier to get to and had it installed in about 25 minutes. I put the setting on 60 percent and I am back in business. It roared up the driveway like a bat out of hades. Cheap fix and I am happy.
    Tom

20. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the follow up on this Tom. I have been meaning to ask you about this!