No Power When Ignition Turned ON

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by stevens9757@bellsouth.net, May 18, 2020.

1. stevens9757@bellsouth.net

stevens9757@bellsouth.net New Member

United States
    Map
    NO power when ignition switched on. :Confused: Main fuse is OK as is starter relay fuse and other sub-fuses. One day it started and the next time it didn't. Was wondering if the starter switch could be the issue. Are these known to just fail, out of the blue. Never an issue before.. Thanks.

2. jfrahm

jfrahm New Member

United States
    This sort of problem is usually loose battery cables. If the bike goes dead, no clock or anything, when you turn on the key is often the additional current demand causes a loose battery connection to spark and the bike goes dead.

I'm assuming you mean no power as in no lights, no clock, no starter, nothing.

3. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Would suggest checking the starter relay connection/connector, and stator connections for any overheating, and of course the battery cables to battery.

4. stevens9757@bellsouth.net

United States
    Map
    Yes...no nothing. Have already checked starter relay connection and was good. Will check the battery cable connections and stator / RR for possible short to ground. Thanks for the tips. If in fact it is the switch, how difficult is it to replace? Thanks for your help.

5. Darth Vader

Darth Vader New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    The ignition switch is easy to change you need to get the top yolk and nose cone off . Unplug the wire at the clocks and get the bolts out of the yolk. Mine had just ordinary cap head bolts but should have security bolts in so clearly mine had been changed in the past.

6. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    test by jumping terminals on the starter relay, and test start pushbutton with meter at it's plug.

7. stevens9757@bellsouth.net

United States
    Map
    Having cleaned some connections I thought I would put bike on center stand and see if the side stand kill switch might have something to do with this issue. With side stand extended, nothing...no power. With side stand retracted, faint illumination of some of the dash gauges and the fuel pump tries to engage. I'm thinking a short to ground in the battery cables or starter relay. Thanks for the help so far.

8. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    have you measured battery voltage ??????????????? should be step #1.

9. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Firstly check battery voltage.
    Using a test lamp, switch ignition on and check for power going into fuse box on every fuse.

If no power locate ignition barrel connector. Disconnect and see if you are getting power to ignition switch. If no power then work back to the main fuse.

After that check continuity across the ignition switch (with it switched on).

10. pdx650

pdx650 New Member

United States
    Map
    Stevens9757,

I totally had this issue happen just last month and then last week too. Completely out of the blue. No rhyme to reason. Thanks for asking the question. The last time I rode my '98 vfr, it started fine. After I got to my destination, I stopped the engine with the kill switch numerous times on and off and would start it again just to see if I could replicate the fault, but to no avail. That doesn't mean it won't happen again....of course. I'll follow the guidance of these other vfr owners to find out if I can fix it. Thank you to these other members, as well, for the advice. I appreciate it.

edit: I have a clymer repair manual, but it does not get specific about a ‘B’ 30 amp main fuse. I have read from other members stating there are two main 30 amp fuses. An ‘A’ and a ‘B’, but I can not see, in the wiring diagram, that there is a ‘B’ fuse. Would someone please chime in on this topic, please? Thank you.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  11. chris.neale

chris.neale New Member

United Kingdom
    Possibly a regulator/rectifyer issue, check battery if it’s come out the blue. If the battery has suddenly died for no apparent reason, it’s possible it’s not the battery’s fault

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Wiring diagram says Fuse A is at the starter relay, and Fuse B is the other main fuse to the left of it in a separate holder, red/white wire goes to the main harness.