NO POWER WITH IGNITION ON

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by supernatural5, Apr 1, 2019.

1. supernatural5

supernatural5 New Member

United States
    Map
    Here spring is springing, 07 has been on battery tender a few months. Went out to wake her up, removed tender, turned on ignition, clock displayed correct time, no lights, no fuel pump report, nothing. Dash went blank. Turned off ignition, turned back on, clock was reset to 1:00. Battery has 14VDC. Main fuse is good. It ran fine when I parked it. Ideas?

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Whilst this may be yet another case of the usual VFR electrical gremlins, it is a bit early to jump to conclusions and it may be simply because the battery has failed, even if it is has been hooked to a battery tender for months - the weird bit is that voltage figure looks unexpectedly high.

So I would probably explore the cheaper options first.
    Can you check if the bike will start by using a known good battery? Otherwise can you use booster cables from a car 12 volt battery - BUT make sure the car engine is NOT running that should provide ample power for the VFR to fire up.

If that fails - it might be down to an issue with the start inhibit system. So again try and eliminate that as a cause.
    At each stage cycle the ignition and listen for the fuel pump priming - once you hear it prime you know what if anything needs sorting out - so..

- Cycle the kill switch on off a few times just in case corrosion has got in during the recent layover.
    - Likewise remove completely and reinstate the main fuse (by the battery terminals) - the fuse may not appear as blown but it is a few cents to clean the terminals and replace it.
    - Make sure bike is in neutral (light should show on the dash)
    - Pull in the clutch, raise the kick stand and then try the starter as that should eliminate the inhibit system protections. If nothing else you should hear the fuel pump priming. If the pump does not prime, then focus your attention on power supplies to the pump. If the pump primes but there is no starter motor noise, then focus on the starter switch and/or starter and relay.

This diagram may help..

http://www.lifford-cooke.com/motorbiking/documents/VFR800FI Charging and Starting.jpg

Good luck - let us know how you get on.

SkiMad

3. supernatural5

supernatural5 New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks, hope to get to it next day or two. 57k on it, I did replace stator and r/r at 52k. New YUSA battery 3 yes ago, just because they were on sale, the 7 yr old one was still working fine .

4. supernatural5

supernatural5 New Member

United States
    Map
    Battery!!! Local shop molested me, $180.82!! Same battery online $99.95 delivered...............

5. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Your battery won’t have 14v the max it can have is 13.2 v fully charged.

Initially I would be thinking a failed cell as everything was working when you put it to bed.

6. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Bugger I’ve just noticed your post. :drink:

7. supernatural5

supernatural5 New Member

United States
    Map
    AND the YUSA battery was faulty. I'm surprised, never had an issue with them. All they had in stock was a Fire Starter??? Still charged me $102.03! But I'm riding again....

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk