Normandy.

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by afterburn, Feb 15, 2003.

1. afterburn

afterburn New Member

Map
    For those interested, you can watch my piccies of a trip to Normandy last October. They're online here
    Please ignore the 2 old men in some pictures, they drive the beemers, but have since come to their senses. The bold one now drives a spanking new ST1300, the grey one a '83 GoldWing Interstate. Both are now wondering why the hell they ever went to the dark beemer side. And they've only driven about 50mls on their bikes yet.

2. rshimmel

rshimmel New Member

Lots of good pics here...I enjoyed them. Hard to believe it has been 60 years, give or take.
    The viffer looks sharp, and you had good weather too!

3. afterburn

afterburn New Member

Map
    Just had the viffer for a month when I was there. It looked brandspanking new when I got it. Weather was suprisingly good for the first week of October, around 70F all week. Recommended trip if you're ever in the neighbourhood.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Sobering pics. I kept thinking the movie Saving Private Ryan. What made you go there? Do you live in Europe?

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Sobering pics. I kept thinking the movie Saving Private Ryan. What made you go there?

6. afterburn

afterburn New Member

Map
    Yes, I ive in Holland. I've always been interested in WW2 history, also because of it being part of my history.

If you think the pictures are sobering, imagine standing in the D-Day museum watching a presentation of the battle for the beaches. Listen to the speaker telling you to always remember the sacrifices made for your freedom. Then in front of you there is a 70+ year old D-Day veteran standing less than an arms length away, who is visiting the site to remember his fallen friends and comrades, or showing his now grown up son where he's been and what he's done 60 yrs ago.

7. Greatbrit

Greatbrit New Member

Think there be a big trip next year with the GB VFR club going to vist Normandy with them hope to see you there afterburn?

8. afterburn

afterburn New Member

Map
    I don't know, depends on when it will be and if I can get time off. If it's around the D-Day date (June 6), I definately won't be cause I'll be roaming the roads in Austria.

9. rshimmel

rshimmel New Member

Riding through Austria, or just about anywhere in Europe (during the summer months) sounds pretty intoxicating to me. When I was in college I used to dream about doing just that, and they used to market packages that included airfare and the new bike of your choice (provided it was available there, of course) waiting for you at Amsterdam or a similar destination, so you could tour the continent by motorcycle and then have it shipped back to the states or sold on consignment.. Still sounds like the ideal trip to me (although the little woman might not see it that way..) ::)

10. afterburn

afterburn New Member

Map
    It's ok, especially the mountain areas, but only if you like lots of twisties and hairpins. ;)

11. Webbfire2004

Webbfire2004 New Member

Map
    Great photos, thanks for sharing them.

12. 86viffer

86viffer New Member

Great photos, thank you for putting them out there for us to see.