Not a Teaser! 1983 VF750F resto project

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Sebspeed, Feb 7, 2008.

1. dcompson

dcompson New Member

Seriously GREAT work! Thanks for all the inspiration. I have a 93 that i need to get to work on. I have always been a fan of honda's from the 80's since thats what i grew up on. So, thanks and keep the updates coming! Oh, and love the photos.

2. Sebspeed

Sebspeed New Member

United States
    Map
    I got to test them out by plugging into a friend's bike today and WOW, are they bright!! They light up so well that you can see the red light in the daytime!

Tried it again this evening with the lights off in the garage, and it's amazing!

Really glad I did this! the bulbs are 2.99ea at superbrightleds.com

My camera wasn't doing well taking a pic, so a friend took one with his cell phone. I should be able to post it soon!

3. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map

Don't you have more important things to be working on... like getting that thing running? Ha ha, just kidding!

4. Sebspeed

Sebspeed New Member

United States
    Map
    All in good time, all in good time. Once I get the rest of that motor mount bolt out and chase the threads, I'm going to roll the block on its side and drill for the gallery mod, & install the lines and fittings I bought.

Then I'm polishing the valve & stator covers, and installing my NOS clutch cover, after also polishing the face that has the Honda logo in it. I've got NOS gaskets for all those also...

THEN THE MOTOR IS GOING IN THE FRAME!!! :cheersaf:

5. Sebspeed

Sebspeed New Member

United States
    Map
    ps - got a guy locally to handle my 86 carbs for me. I'd like to fire that bike up before I tear it down any more, gotta pull the motor to clean it!

6. JamieDaugherty

United States
    Map

Wow, a BIG tip here: don't drill the main oil gallery until after the engine is back in the frame. 90% of the time guys have clearance issues with the lower frame rail when they drill the hole with the engine on the bench. It's a little more difficult to do the drilling and tapping but it's a lot easier than trying to figure out what to do when you can't get the hose fittings in place because they hit the frame.

7. Sebspeed

Sebspeed New Member

United States
    Map
    Wow, lucky for me this has been done and documented for me already! I've got pics, measurements, everything I need to do it right the first time(another reason this build is taking so long!)

Thanks for looking out though.

8. Darkhorse393

Darkhorse393 New Member

Great now I've got to find 86 sockets!

9. Sebspeed

Sebspeed New Member

United States
    Map
    Not sure just how many I have left, but there are more from that harness.

I'll let you know what I've got left.

10. ZonaMan

ZonaMan New Member

I have been very intrigued by this saga. You must be single, be retired, have grown children, or have a VERY understanding wife with all those projects! I am envious of that shop garage too.

11. Sebspeed

Sebspeed New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm 26 & married to with a 5 year old son. I have a busy life! My wife knows that bikes are a huge passion of mine, and that the garage time keeps me sane, so she doesn't mind so much.

12. Sebspeed

Sebspeed New Member

United States
    Map
    ps - You have Mt. Lemmon in your backyard... so I can be jealous too... LOL

13. Seidts

Seidts New Member

Seb, I disregarded this post for a while now and never took a look, thinking that it was a rattlecan and bailing wire rebuild. Now that I went through the entire post in one sitting I can say that it is pretty impressive and that you are doing great. I have, in my shop, a 1978 CB750F that has been torn down in to little bitty pieces. I am in the upswing of the process of doing a rebuild of just this very nature. I will stay pretty much with stock running gear but I will be adding the shine that hasn't been on this bike for years. I also am going to be making it a cafe racer type of CB with the lower seat and chopped tail section and so on, TBD. I have a slightly less than vague plan but for now it is all about prep for me. I am home sick for today but this post was still inspiring enough to make me go down to the shop and sit and stare with my pen and paper in hand. Lots of forward motivation from this post. Thanks and keep up the good work.

14. dcompson

dcompson New Member

Seidts,

I think you need to start a post of your own detailing your rebuild. I am interested in all old honda's. I just love the stories of rebuild.

Dave

15. Seidts

Seidts New Member

I was thinking of doing just that. Wouldn't I have to go to another forum dedicated to Honda CB's? Right now all I can show is a pic of an engine on a cart in the middle of the floor, a frame of to the side and the rest of the bike scattered around in various rubbermaid bins.
    If I get approval or encouragement from some other folks to dedicate a thread to a "different" type of bike then I will do a rebuild post.

16. JamieDaugherty

United States
    Map
    Seriously man, don't rely on measurements. Just get the engine in the frame first then drill. If want to do it right then do it right.

17. dcompson

dcompson New Member

Seidts, i dont think it really matters that its not a vfr. Its a honda and people (like me) would be interested in seeing your hard work.

18. Outlawz24

Outlawz24 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Seidts When you make your thread about your bike on here also check out the SOHC/4 forums they would love to see your progress as well.

Bike is looking great sebspeed. I have some questions for you now that i have located a 1KR front end for mine that i will be picking up once i get back from my out of town trip. How much material was added to the steering stop and is it needed to be done or was that just a might as well while i have it apart thing? Secondly what are you doing with your fuse box..just relocating it under the front fairing or something? Also will the 750 F key switch work on the 1KR upper triple clamp? Im sure i will come up with many more questions as things go along.

Figured i would come up with more questions...

Are the stock VF750 front calipers reused on the 1KR front end? and i seen my answer for the stop...something a new bolt and nut would fix easily enough...Anyone know if the stock VF750 front wheel would work on the 1KR front end? Just wondering about that as an option.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  19. fabinator

fabinator New Member

Notice to anybody doing the oil mod:

There is an arrow pointing to a round flat spot on the bottom of the crankcase. It's cast right into the aluminum, you can't miss it. This is where the hole needs to go, right in the middle of that dot.

I don't know for sure why it's there, but some people think Honda originally planned on feeding oil to the heads from there. Whether it be for cosmetic reasons, or the chance of an oil line getting smashed, the engineers changed the plan later on... leaving a few artifacts behind.

The markings and landing for the banjo may still be there, but if it were to be put to use by the factory, the banjo landing would have been machined smooth. Use a mill file to smooth out the rough casting surface, so the crush washer can make a positive seal at normal bolt torque.

20. Sebspeed

Sebspeed New Member

United States
    Map
    Good observation.

I'm going to use a 90deg NPT -> AN fitting, which the hose screws onto. That will run to a tee and split off to each head with AN fittings from there, to banjos at the heads. :cheersaf: