Oil Change Intervals with sythentic honda oil?

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by Bubba Utah, Apr 24, 2017.

1. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I would be interested as well please. I can also put up a lecture from someone who works for a well known oil manufacturer.

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Received! Thank You sir. Would you have an issue if I posted it up over there?

3. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Just post the darn thing.. Can we expect that the engineer doesn't work for Amsoil? Technical white papers sometimes get sidetracked with sales pitches that detract from the science.

Best to get permission from the "other" board before Pizza dude gets all testy..;)

4. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    you mean like the headlight bulbs ones?

5. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Getting back on track I would stick to Hondas service intervals and the grade specified by them 10W30

6. Badbilly

United States
    LOL!!!!!! ten

7. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Nope, I was a member for a couple of years, never had a any problems, donated several times then bingo, sign this or you cant't get on! Pissed me right off.

No, the engineer doesn't/didn't work for Amsoil.

8. Badbilly

United States
    I don't do Facebook, Twitter or the other place. Fill me in.. One headlight bulb thing I do know aboot is that Honda figured oot how to make a few more pesos on certain VFRs and ST's by changing up the configuration of the receptacles. Bottom line increasing the cost to users from a ten or so peso bulb to a 40 or more peso bulb.

Yep I know more than enough aboot the "fixes" that are fine but leave the ten peso bulbs rattling around in the receptacles. Switch off..

9. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    That's overkill, unless something is seriously wrong with your bike. If you really want to know, there's places you can send for oil analysis, say like every 2K miles over the course of an oil change.

example:

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/motorcycle.php

10. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Sure its over kill but I too can tell in the way my bikes shift that its time. It is a very subtle feel but its there. I can tell easier on my larger cc bikes for some reason. I doubt there is anymore appreciable wear by waiting another 1k miles but I change it early. Always will. I must find oil changes cathartic or something. lol

11. ksoholm

ksoholm New Member

United States
  12. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    No DriftingAlong, I just run by my past. I have changed my oil every 3,000 U.S. Miles in the past. Notes on the site of allowing oil to be 2 plus years in the bike and changing it at the 600mile mark may have cause me some damage due to breakdown on the original oil and should have had the dealer change it on purchase.

I guess my question and fear started with the previous notes and with this being the first bike I added full Honda Synthetic. Having financial difficulties right now for the first time I noticed that the 7,000 miles came up with syth. At $5.75 a quart online I just hate spending money that gives no long term benefit to the life of the bike. I bought the right Viscosity with the syth. I have not looked at the intervals for the bike since I have always ran on the 3,000 mile rule of thumb. I Guess that everyone put the fear of god in me about not having the original oil changed prior to 600 mile due to the time I bought the bike vs. build. It bugged me that oil could break down without actually running the bike for 2 years. No Heat, no fiction. I could not figure that out since I am not a person that does not understand the way oil breaks down without these factors.

13. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    What the hell is KM's! :smile-new: I am an American and these figures do not make sense to me. Did you see that my title is Bubba? But, thanks I will put out a calculator since you Canadians and Euros like this thing that I was "warned" about in the 8th grade! :livid: Ha ha, But seriously thank you Randy.

14. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Thank you Allyance, I trust you and others. I did not look, but I like the 8,000 point. I really do not see the concern that was posted on the 2014 sitting for 2 years prior to being bought and having issues of breakdown without the factors or heat and friction being a bike in static mode.

15. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    You won't go wrong with factory intervals.
    I also can't see a problem of a new bike sitting for 2 years.
    At around AU$100 for a 4L container of synthetic here, I won't be short changing.
    Don't know how many quarks that is as my calculator is metric and only has number buttons to 10, not 12, 16 or
    64th's Just like working with feet gives you smelly hands.

16. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I was born into the imperial measure but the whole world except the USA and I think to some degree GB went metric back in the early 70s. I can roughly estimate the conversion but admit, I have one or two of those on line calculators bookmarked. I never did know why the US gallon was different than the rest of the world's gallon though. And considerably so. If memory serves me, I think there are approx. 5 US gallons to 4 Imperial gallons. That makes doing calculations on fuel pricing a bitch.

http://www.worldwidemetric.com/measurements.html

17. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I feel like I am getting sucked into a "snake oil" scam on this here post :loco: I liked the Kevin Cameron article fer sure, for chits & grins I dug out my little cheezy owners manual as my official ones where in another room that I didnt have readily access to (TMI) I know. Anyway, the intervals back in the 90s little book called for 8000 mile intervals, the only reason they call for these is that they want you to buy a new bike. Frequent oil changes are cheap insurance plain and simple. Its the life blood of your motor, granted these engineers have tortured and tested their products before they hit the shelf and know high and low examples regarding tolerances when they tear down various motors for inspection. Depending on if you got a Monday morning - Friday night bike has alot to do with this btw. :mech: too much saki and Guinness will screw things up :drinker:

I am gona refrain from any shameless plug on synthetic oils here or even dino oils. My old Interchelpter has 80,000 + miles on it and rides starts as perfect as it did when I got it 2 decades ago, the oil comes out clean, smells good, and in general doesnt looked "bagged out." Nice to be able to touch and smell stuff imho - (dont twist that into some sodomite thing either yah bastard.) You can tell when you do a fresh oil change on what ever scooter your running, the shifts sound nicer, runs a little smoother regarding shifts and such. Dats all Mr. Subjective has to sayging aboot :canada: oil change intervals. Nothing soothes my mind as my arse is out there singing along at 10,000 RPM knowing I got the best oil in the world. Nuff Sed. :peace: :vtr2:

Oh, when I was in Germany they were getting $100.00 for 5 quarts of Mobil One - At those prices I would add some miles to my change interval on the car that I use in on - this was last year, anywh0

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  18. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map

So wit all that said. In your experience what intervals do you take out that insurance policy? Two decades of riding the same bike is a opinion worth listening to!:loyal:

19. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Agree Its bad enough having to deal with imperial and metric then the Americans come up with their own system. 1 real Gallon = 1.2 US Gallon

20. Badbilly

United States
    Oil changes are more cathartic with K&N filters..