On gen 5 where are the "tiny" brake fluid return holes in secondary and rear brake master cylinders?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Vaheater, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Vaheater

Vaheater New Member

United States
    My bike had old scummy brake fluid in it. I flushed/replaced fluid and pads and thoroughly bled the system. Front calipers seem to work fine but now my rear brake is firmly sticking on after I pressurize using the rear brake pedal. I have received a lot of suggestions on what may be causing this. After methodically chasing these possibilities down I believe I may have a clogged fluid return hole(s) in the SECONDARY AND/OR REAR brake master cylinder(s) - WHERE, EXACTLY, ARE THESE LITTLE HOLES??

I have disassembled/cleaned the rear brake master. I can see one hole that allows fluid into the master cylinder and it's clear and there is another partially drilled "hole/indentation" next to the fluid hole but it does not appear to be drilled all the way through. I am not seeing any other holes in the MC assembly.

Next I will be rebuilding the secondary master. Is there a return hole in the secondary master? EXACTLY - WHERE IS THE RETURN HOLE LOCATED?

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    It's the smaller hole, find a wire that fits and givera poke, laddie ! :Scared: usually left side of master (as you sit on the bike).

clean out any crud in the mc, and fill with fresh DOT3 or 4.

maybe bleed the brakes.

all have return holes.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  3. Vaheater

Vaheater New Member

United States
    I apologize for being thick - On the Rear Brake master there is an obvious hole and also an "indentation" in the cavity where the hose from the reservoir attaches. Is the indentation the hole? If so it shows absolutely no evidence of making a passage to the inside of the master cylinder. I also found a similar indentation in the cavity where the fluid enters the secondary master cylinder. Behind the small green filter/ball and spring assembly there is one obvious hole and another of these indentations. Again no evidence that the indentation is a passageway. Thanks for your help!

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    pictures from the FSM might help you :cool:

5. Vaheater

Vaheater New Member

United States

I have referred to Gen 5 FSM and Haynes and Climbers for VFR also I have a couple Blackbirds and have checked those manuals as well. If it's in there I am missing it . ARE THESE HOLES IN THE MASTER CYLINDER CASTINGS OR IN THE INTERNALS? The only thing I am seeing are the holes where fluid enters the cylinders and the indentations next to the main holes - but no small holes.

6. Vaheater

Vaheater New Member

United States
    If anyone out there has any pictures/diagrams showing the tiny holes/location I would be very appreciative. Also , the indentations I am referring to are the same size as the main holes but do not appear to be drilled all the way through the castings. I hope this helps clarify what I am seeing.

7. Vaheater

Vaheater New Member

United States

GREAT NEWS I found the holes. They are in the indentation next to the obvious holes that feed the cylinder. My they are small - but now they are free-flowing and as luck would have it my rebuild kits showed up today! Will keep you posted

8. Lyle K Valentine

Lyle K Valentine New Member

Map
    Whe