Oops! I got a 5th gen.

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Blackslide, Dec 6, 2022.

1. Blackslide

Blackslide New Member

Finland
    While I'm more than enjoying my beloved 1990 rc36, the "Red Devil". As I was searching for a parts donor for her. I ran into this 5th gen that just had an irresistible price tag.

So instead of an rc36 parts bike, I ended up with a "so-so rideable" rc46.

It had been standing outside for a good 4 months, so it wouldn't quite start in the, slightly chilly, 0-1c (32-34f) temperature. The owner had it put on a tiny 0.75A battery tender. I was sure the battery was long gone but after some time it actually started up.

The ad stated "might be rideable but needs work". Needless to say, I rode her away that evening.

The chain is super slack and the eccentric wouldn't even try to move. Even a hammer didn't help. So I guess it needs a complete overhaul. As do the electrics. The headlight connectors had melted away almost completely, even the bulb terminals were busted.

The battery seems healthy after all, I'll have to have it tested at a shop and measure the charging voltage. Besides a lumpy idle, (I'll try to adjust it as it' only 800rpm now.) the engine seems to be fine. There's plenty of thread on the tires and it rides. Happy days.

Attached Files:

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Cool. I will eventually Resto-Mod a 98 or 99 I think. But it will have to be just the right combo of decent bones (mostly complete) and cheap.

Congrats.

3. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    HA, been there done that..... guess I should one day post up my Gen5 refurb....

4. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Yeah, it's been done a lot, not much new ground to break. But that doesn't mean it's not super desirable. Would love to see yours, for sure.

5. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    The idle adjuster is accessed through the hole in the right frame spar, with a philips head screwdriver. Good luck with your project.

6. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Welcome aboard, agreed have seen some cool resto-mods on gen4 bikes. Enjoy the journey. Peace

7. Blackslide

Blackslide New Member

Finland
    Thank you all for the kind words. I gave her a "quick" wash.. well mostly scrubbed the wheels and brakes... The main go-to bike will definately have black or gray wheels with some "ceramic" coating. What a chore to keep the light coloured wheels even resembling a clean state.

I'll change the fluids and oil filter. And the fuel filter, if the pump seal is easily available. Then I'll fiddle with that idle screw.

I will ship her back to Finland for christmas, so the coolant has to be 100% correct and tank needs to be full with added stabilizer.

It probably will come down to the import tax and reg. costs, that determine if it will be dismantled for spares or fixed up for riding.

What I gathered from the short 175km/110mi ride. I want a rideable rc46, no matter how this bike ends up. Apparently in addition to some cost cutting here and there, Honda at the same time managed to improve the suspension and handling. That's the impression I got.

I'll do the export in a week or so, not sure if a 98 yr bike needs a "Confirmation of conformity" or not. That single piece of paper cost more than 100eur ten years ago. Probably double that now. The Dutch vehicle reg. authority evaluate the bike at 1610eur. Based on that, just the tax will be 500eur.[​IMG]

Riding the storm

8. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    You have vehicle inspections done yearly on motor vehicles? Regarding the motorcycles, does the person doing the inspection for the government ride your motorcycle to determine if its road worthy? What about a tiered licensing system pertaining to motorcycles? Can you just go out and buy a 1000 cc motorcycle, or your relegated to starting on a smaller cc bike like they do in the UK? Peace out

9. Blackslide

Blackslide New Member

Finland
    Hi, good question! One EU, same rules? Yeah right..

Since 2013, you can legally ride anything in Finland, if you have the "A" class (motorcycle) license and are 23 or older. From 16 to 18 you are restricted to "A1" and can ride a 125cc/11kW bike. From the age of 18 to 22 you can upgrade the A1 license to A2, wich permits riding a 35kW bike (or a max 70kW bike restricted to 35kW).

You can do an MOT, but nobody does, because it is not mandatory. It is not mandatory in The Netherlands either.

But of course the police can fine you and probably even ban the bikes use on the public road if they notice that it is not roadworthy for some reason. Heck they even do checks on the exhaust noise now and then.

For example, in Estonia, motorcycles must clear an inspection every second year to be street legal. Wich I find sensible, since riding a motorcycle has many hazards even without the bike being in a poor condition.

I guess the reasoning behind the slack policy, is that riding and owning a motorcycle is thought to be a hobby. And that most people who have that hobby, tend to take good care of their equipment. And secondly, Most people who ride a moyorcycle have been to the driving school and have taken courses on how to safely ride and maintain the bike.

But funny thing is, when drivers licence for a car, was made mandatory in 1922, motorcycles were not included. And, from 1972 up until 1990 you got the "A" license automatically, when you passed the license exam and driving test for a passenger car "B" license.

So someone having a license from that era, can still go and buy a Hayabusa, etc. without any prior experience on any two-wheeler. And ride it legally. Many have, most have even survived to tell the tale. But not everyone.

Riding the storm

ridervfr likes this.
  10. vfrgiving

vfrgiving New Member

Is that even a thing, anywhere in the world? I live in a state that requires an annual safety inspection, but the inspector is just doing a visual check of lighting systems, brake pads, tread depth. Having someone throwing a leg over an unknown motorcycle to take it for a test ride just to see if it's road worthy seems like a huge insurance risk. I have a hard time believing any municipality would do this as a requirement for inspection.

11. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    congrats on the find

12. w3bdevil

w3bdevil New Member

Finland
    Map
    Yay, another Finnish 5th gen owner. We can start a club soon. Any plans on going to the track with whichever 5th gen individual you might end up with?