opinions on Givi luggage

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by troy, Jun 11, 2007.

1. pontiac_banshee

pontiac_banshee New Member

United States
    EV-51 GIVI on 1991

Here is my givi on my bike. I added lights to it. Going to add a Honda fob (last pictures) where there is a GIVI fob on top and it looks like it is a Honda Item.

Attached Files:

2. pontiac_banshee

pontiac_banshee New Member

United States
    I got mine used off ebay for $180 shipped. The GVI carrier was all ready on teh bike when I bought it. Adding the custom lights ran me about $30. Will fit two FFace helmets (mine is XXL) so there is lots of room. You can add a backrest and a top carrier to this and give it more expandability.

3. beedo15

beedo15 New Member

Map
    Troy,

I have a 05 VFR800A, and recently purchased the Givi V35 bags. I have nothing bad to say about them. they are easily mounted and look great. So far i have road through rain, hail, and even a little bit of snow, and my gear never got wet. You can't go wrong with the V35. I was worried about them being too big and bulky, but i think that they are the right size.

4. Craig Wagner

Craig Wagner New Member

United States
    Map
    If anyone wants bags before the riding season ends, Givi or eBay are probably your only options. I called the Honda CSR line today and they told me they're guessing August before any OEM bag availability.

After looking at numerous pictures of the factory bags vs. the OEM bags, I'm leaning towards just getting the Givis (the V35s). They are almost identical to the factory bags with the exception of color and a slight different in the taper at the back of the bag. Attached is a (lousy) PhotoShop (actually Paint.NET) I did of the v35 in satin silver on an '07 Red. I think the silver blends with the frame and the black matches up with the seat, panel just under the seat, grab rails, and tires.

Attached Files:

5. pritch

pritch New Member

I have the Givi V35 and am happy with them. Also have the matching inner bags so when staying at a motel can just leave the hard bags on the bike.

The V35s are fairly wide though, I hope the bike never asks, "Does my ass look big in these?"

6. Craig Wagner

Craig Wagner New Member

United States
    Map
    I've been comparing as many pictures as I can find of the V35s and the OEM bags and honestly I think they are very close to the same width. The factory bags are not slender. They may sit one or two inches closer to the bike, but that's about it.

7. theMattyDubs

theMattyDubs New Member

8. Craig Wagner

Craig Wagner New Member

United States
    Map
    When I was searching for bags I found that their shipping was quite high. RonAyers.com's price actually works out better once you factor in the shipping costs.

I found good prices at twistedthrottle.com and sporttour.com. I think the sporttour price worked out to be a little bit cheaper because they offer free shipping.

9. theMattyDubs

theMattyDubs New Member

Good point, I had not calculated shipping. It seemed like after you add brackets to Givi's the difference between them and OEM wasn't substantial (esp with factory paint matching)

10. Craig Wagner

Craig Wagner New Member

United States
    Map
    I seem to recall that the Givi v35s and the PLX rack came to about $660, and the OEM bags from RonAyers.com ended up being ~$835 shipped. I got lucky and found a set of OEM '06 black bags for $575 so I went with those. They look pretty decent on my red '07 so I probably won't even bother to get them painted, but if I wanted to a local shop said they'd do it for $200.

P.S. Depending on your urgency you might want to take a look on eBay. OEM luggage seems to pop up quite often there. There are a few sets on there right now (most are overpriced), but a couple of them are at reasonable prices.

Auction #1 Linky
    Auction #2 Linky

No affiliation, don't know either seller, just what a quick search turned up.

11. theMattyDubs

theMattyDubs New Member

Rhino Lined saddlebags, thats awesome! haha thanks for those links, all I'm finding on ebay are $850 bags with high shipping and egregious $25 handling charges.

12. Craig Wagner

Craig Wagner New Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah, the Rhino-lined bags seemed a little odd, but I understand his point, bags get scratched pretty easy. And the black would pretty much go with anything.

When I was looking for bags on eBay I tended to use the following as my search criteria. People describe their stuff in so many different ways, I found this caught most of them.

honda (vfr800,interceptor,vfr) (saddlebags,luggage,bags)

13. theMattyDubs

theMattyDubs New Member

I'm actually thinking about those bags with the rhino lining if they don't get too expensive. Thanks for the search criteria, I never find anythingwhen I search. I wish I could figure out the sporttour.com 3 piece package but without pictures I'm easily confused.

14. Craig Wagner

Craig Wagner New Member

United States
    Map
    It would be basically like what is pictured below (picture taken from twistedthrottle.com). This is the PL166 side rack (as opposed to the PLX side rack for the V35s), but the general appearance would be the same.

Personally, in the past I've spent two weeks on the road with soft saddlebags on my YZF600R. Unless you're going to be on the road for weeks I don't think a trunk is necessary.

[​IMG]

15. Spectre

Spectre New Member

When I ordered my 2007 VFR800A through my dealer, Givi top-case and side-cases (along with the required mounting brackets) were listed as a dealer option specifically for the VFR, which I purchased. (See my photo gallery.) The side-cases are exactly color-matched, while the top-case is glossy black, which is fine with me.

At any rate, the only complaints I have about these Givi products are with the top-case, which include the following:

1) When the top-case is attached to its mounting bracket, the bottom of the case sits ~45" above the ground, and it's highest point (right behind the passenger backrest cushion), is ~56" above the ground. In my opinion, the top-case is thus situated much too high, which in turn makes the rear of the bike potentially very top-heavy.

If you begin loading up the top-case with various items, the bike will of course become evermore top-heavy. Now add in a full tank of fuel, along with a rear passenger wearing full gear (my Sargeant leather saddle's pillion cushion is a good 1.5-2.0" higher than mine) and you then have a very precariously top-heavy motorcycle. I know this from firsthand experience, in which the rear tire (Metzeler ME4) stepped out during a lowspeed turn under these exact same conditions a few months ago. I firmly believe that the rear top-heaviness of the bike was a major factor.

You may not notice how top-heavy the bike is with this ladened top-case until you try leaning the bike more quickly and assertively in either direction to the point where all of this top weight (as well as the weight of fuel sloshing around in the tank) may suddenly shift and throw itself into the equation a second or two later, and then it may quickly throw the bike off-balance, big-time.

I say again, have a look at the photos in my gallery. Why hell, that massive Givi top-case is so high that I could just as well mount on the back of my bike a bowling ball that's 45" off the ground, and then expect the motorcycle to handle well in the corners, especially with a rear passenger.

2) The Givi top-case that came with my motorcycle is way too large in terms of its size and volume for my needs and preferences, but I didn't realize this until I saw it firsthand, rather than in a catalogue. (I wasn't shown any smaller choices, by the way.) Now I know better. As it stands now, I feel that my particular Givi top-case is fit only for storing very light items such a sweater, a fleece jack, etc. Beware of placing any heavier items in it and then expecting stability. I'd just as soon get rid of my top-case if I can find a smaller alternative that still offers a padded backrest for a pillion rider.

3) I've found that the mechanism for closing and securing this 'clamshell' top-case is very awkward, tricky, and troublesome to operate. You can't just close and 'click down' the lid of this Givi top-case. Oh no, that would be too simple and easy. Instead, this requires a 3-point, complex maneuver which I find to be rather absurd. (Live with this top-case a while, and you may agree with me.) The end result of this case's awkward closing mechanism is that until you figure it out (lots of fun) you may think its closed until you start riding, only to eventually find that cars behind you are beeping their horns at you in an effort to signal to you that your top-case is in fact open and the lid is bouncing up and down, while your belongings are spilling onto the road and flying about in the wind behind you. Never assume that this top-case is closed and locked until you try prying it open with your hands. If it won't open, it may well be shut.

16. Buckwheat

Buckwheat New Member

Someone asked if the OEM hold a full face helmet. Yes, they do. My large size full face fits however snuggly and has to be turned just the right direction.

I mainly love these bags for the convenience factor. I agree the bike is better looking without hard bags but it's tough to go anywhere without needing some degree of storage space. My small laptop & bag easily fit for the daily commute to work. It's amazing how many groceries can fit into these bags also. :nod:

My OEM bags are painted silver to match my '03 but I find they scratch fairly easily, especially if you aren't accustomed swinging your leg over the bike AND the hard bags. I think the contrasting colors of the Givi v35 cases look very nice and I expect the finish is probably more durable.

17. kd4ysi

kd4ysi New Member

United States
    Map
    im wainting a pair of the mono keys givi since ive alreaddy got the mounts they look good to

18. Cearbhallain

Cearbhallain New Member

Gas Mileage drop with OEM bags?

Hi, I just purchased a 2004 VFR. I will pick it up later this week. It has the OEM bags on it. Does this luggage significantly reduce the VFR's gas mileage? Anyone know?

19. Craig Wagner

Craig Wagner New Member

United States
    Map
    I've put on several thousand miles touring with my '07 and I tend to get 45 - 50 mpg according to fuelly.com. I actually tend to get worse mileage with the bags off, but that's probably because those are shorter-distance day rides with a fair bit of stop-and-go city driving.

2007 VFR800A Fuel-up Log | Fuelly

20. rcompton

rcompton New Member

Great pics, I think I'll go the same route when I can afford it. Thanks for your time.