Opps I did it again - a long term project - NC24

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Diving Pete, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Thanks for that,
    I can honestly say I was not prepared for the level of cleaning & painting thats required - & I've not even got to the fairing (s) yet...lol

But I'm really enjoying the challenge of it although picking a bike with a user / workshop manual might have been a smarter thing to do !!

but today allowed me to get rid of the K&N

[​IMG]P1070311 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

remove the clutch cover, sprocket cover & Water Pump cover for painting..

[​IMG]P1070310 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

get the front wheel, forks & bars all buttoned up

[​IMG]P1070312 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  2. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
  3. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    yep you guessed it - more painting - lol

[​IMG]P1070326 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

this time 2 sets of forks...

also swapped over a front tyre onto my lovely powercoated rim...

[​IMG]P1070335 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

Bike is starting to look better...

[​IMG]P1070327 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

[​IMG]P1070328 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

Even managed to put the battery back on as I wanted to balance the carbs - but found a slight water leak coming from the water pump - my fault - didn't replace the rubber seal after painting.. So thats on order tomorrow...

But happy with the other stuff...

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  4. Mind_Surfer

Mind_Surfer New Member

United States
    Looks fantastic! I hope you get out on the road soon.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

5. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I'm going to get one of my other 1st gen bike's out of storage tomorrow - hopefully, bettery is installed, will do a quick tyre pressure check & then fire the beastie up - really looking forward to it ..

The weather this week is going to be 25c + - yippee

6. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Had a great time this week riding the RVF & the weather has been fantastic..

So the last 3 days have been waking the CBR from its sleep and getting it ready for its mot.

[​IMG]DSC_2505 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

Balancing the carbs & just checking the mixture settings

[​IMG]P1070334 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

Its now ready but MOT (yearly test) is next weekends job however also managed to spend 30 mins back on the VFR front brakes.

[​IMG]DSC_2508 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

7. Mind_Surfer

Mind_Surfer New Member

United States
    Dude I'm sorry to keep saying this but you have some sweet motorcycles.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

8. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Thanks - I'm working on it....

Have space for a RC51, RC45, RC30 though lol

9. vfrbillnoroville

vfrbillnoroville New Member

Oroville, Ca. (90 miles north or Sacramento)
    I enjoyed reading through your post. You are getting pretty close to done. Your work looks like your next project should be a piece of cake compared to this one. The Rothmans original fairings are great but I like the RWB ones.

Last October I saw an NC24 in the Bay Area and ended up getting it. I mostly cleaned and spot painted different areas. It was in better condition than what you started with. I knew nothing about them which shame on me for not finding out more before buying it. I have used the parts drawings as my manual. Most parts have come from the UK that I needed which has been mostly service items. I have had lots of bikes over my 45 riding years. It took me about 80 hours work and 600 bucks to get it road worthy and looking good. Not a show bike but one that looks ridden and stock. I have a favorite 30 mile winding road I like and ride the VFR400R at least every other week. Once local Honda shop invited me to put it in their showroom for a recent open house day. That was fun.

Once you are done with this project and your wife gets to ride it, She will love it. Sure, an NC30 would be great but the NC24 will put the smile on her face just as well. These bikes are rare in the states and even more rare titled and registered and ridden frequently. I am so lucky

p-lake road.jpg

duccmann likes this.
  10. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Thanks Bill,

For this bike I'm just waiting on a waterpump rubber gasket so I can fire the engine up, another brake caliper rebuild kit ( I ordered a cheap one that didn't fit!) & then its onto fairings. This will be for me the hardest part of the build as:

1. I'm not used to repairing the plastics,
    2. I've got to learn how to paint correctly the fairings... lol

I've now got 5 sets of fairings for this bike !! but this one is going to stay as a RWB - the other NC24 will be a Rothmans colour scheme - if I decide to complete it !

My wife - I'm thinking of giving her the RVF (NC35) as she deserves it.
    Its a sublime bike that is in MINT condition so will only ever be ridden in good weather. Its also going up in value so I don't want to put too many miles on it (its at 21,000 km ish) & she
    is worth it..

The CBR (NC29) may be kept as its been in the family since 2003 but I don't enjoy riding it. The position sucks for me even though it go's & stops really well & my wife likes it.
    This was my initial reason for buying the NC24. So that everything I learn / relearn on the NC24 I can use to get the NC29 working & looking perfect.

11. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Very nice collection. I still believe this era of Honda motorcycles to be the " high water mark" for Honda. Brilliant engineering and execution. Also is a nice riding bike. Looking good.

12. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Well, It LIVES...

I added the oil & water yesterday, removed the front brakes entire, & generally gave it a quick onceover. This morning I plumbed in the carb balancers & a external fuel tank then kicked it over... took about 20 secs on the starter motor (10 then 10), ran 'fairly well (no 1 carb is hugely out of sync). Ran it for about 5 mins then switched off.

May have to pull the cards though as i got some fuel pushing out the overflow - think float levels on 1 may need rechecking...

I'll run it again this afternoon & see what happens..

13. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    1 step forward - 1 step back....

It yet again leaked fuel from the no 1 carb so its carbs off again & pull that one apart.

14. vfrbillnoroville

I was having problems signing on and it keeping me signed on. The comment I made on your post was the only time I got in. Tonight I checked and was able to get in, and it kept me logged in.

Leaking fuel is not fun to deal with. Also it can fill up a crankcase and create even more troubles. Good luck with the carbs. You have some nice bikes that are sure easier to rebuild there than they are in the USA. I have no doubt it will be on the road pretty soon.

I did not repaint my plastics. I did spot paint them in places. I did have some cracks and scuffs. I would put JB Weld on the inside where cracks were and use regular window screen to add strength. At outer edges, I sometimes would use a nail (head cut off) to add strength along the edge. After patching I just rattle can painted the inside white. One lower fairing white area was spot painted where a crack was patched inside. My method also worked to rebuild an bolt hole that was missing about half. I even put aluminum tape (much like the heat shields there already) to hide my patches. Turned out pretty good. I used metal polish on the paint because it has more rubbing compounds in it. Then wax cleaner. It really brought the paint back to a shine.

15. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    More progression....lol

Seal kit for brake caliper arrived & is now installed from David Silver Spares.

[​IMG]P1070338 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

Carbs were pulled & stripped - but left together - I'd obviously forgot to strip them ! Think its the other set I pulled apart - lol
    [​IMG]P1070339 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

Had a Pilot screw that refused to leave the carb, had to drill the hole a little to put a left handed extractor in.. - that worked perfectly. Thanks DAD, I knew that your tools would come in handy at some point...

[​IMG]P1070343 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

couldn't find the tap holder so improvised

[​IMG]P1070347 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

It was totally blocked, so that was replaced with brand new part.

The carb jets, seats, floats, pilots, bowls were all then put in the heated ultrasonic cleaner - they get 2 passes - one with a special cleaner & hot water, then a rinse pass in hot water with a couple of drops of detergent.

I was told me about using a single wire from a steel wire brush to insure that the air balancer tube was clear (the hole is tiny) & 1 of mine was blocked - no real surprise !

They were then all put back together & stuck on the bike with a new carb gasket set from Graeme France Racing - well known as an expert on these bikes.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    Mind_Surfer likes this.
  16. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Float levels all set @ 7mm, Air Pilots set at 2 turns, external fuel tank plumbed in, started in 1/2 second - Phew...

Ran pretty well for 5 mins.
    Carbs will still need balancing & a little more to do but almost there :Clap2:

I'll do the balancing later if I get time.. Then I can finish the brakes.

skimad4x4 and Mind_Surfer like this.
  17. vfrbillnoroville

You are making some great progress. I left my carbs together too when I redid them. I was lucky, my carbs were cleaner in the float area when I opened them up. I sprayed the assembly with degreaser then hosed them off with water hose before opening. All the jets came out nicely so lucky there too. Yes, I used a wire from my wire brush too. I propped opened the main carb butterfly then adjusted the other 3 to the same opening. I did not have a 4 pot vacuum meter setup. When back on, it started right up and idled nicely and chock worked as it should when cold. Now have over 1300 miles and no carb issues. Runs smoothly up to redline.

18. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Yuck! Way below what you deserve. I'd be willing to take it off your hands, only as a favor to you, of course! should I forward my address to you?

19. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Ok, time for update...

The bikes carbs are on & synced up perfectly. It starts on the button (within 1/2 sec!), revs fine, and idles beautifully...
    The mechanics are ready to go. Now need to deal with painting / repairing fairings but that will have to wait as I'm going to the French Alps for a couple of weeks on holiday.
    To say I'm happy is am understatement.. It sounds great. hopefully the weather will stay fantastic and I can sort the paint out when I get back, but that's tomorrow's issue.

20. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Well I havn't yet stopped or finished on this project - just a little sidetracked LOL with another RVF400.....!

However this weekend I got a little more done..

& now I've deleted my photobucket account I created a new flickr account to show the pics... As these threads are all about pictures.. Yippee... (Using a 10 year old crappy camera for these though)

Temp paint shed...!

[​IMG]P1070351 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

Getting the parts ready for paint.
    [​IMG]P1070357 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

Various repairs were needed..

[​IMG]P1070369 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

Tank had 6 dents in it - !!!

[​IMG]P1070370 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

Paint is on them...

[​IMG]P1070373 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

[​IMG]P1070374 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

[​IMG]P1070377 by Pete Smith, on Flickr