Oregon to Colorado! (and back . . .)

Discussion in 'USA - West' started by Alaskan, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    I am planning a September ride from Southern Oregon (Ashland) to Coloradoa (Boulder) and back. I don't want to ride The Slab the entire way, though. Any ideas?

2. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Hey Alaskan,

I didn't realize you were so close to me. Well, by "close" I mean not in Alaska. I'll have to stop by and say hey next time am in OR. Might be up there soon.

As for your trip, it really depends on what your likes are, and what type of riding you want to do. Also, another factor to keep in mind is the heat. Meaning, that you might want to take more direct (slabbing) route thru certain areas/states, otherwise your gonna fry your bacon.

I think that cutting over thru NorCal, or SoOR(egon) over to Twin Falls, ID would be cool. Shoshone Falls in Twin Falls are very pretty (depends on water releases at the time of your trip), and you can see Perrine Bridge (maybe see some base jumpers). Then later you can ride north around the Sawtooth Mtns. I think the route from Twin Falls past Crater of the Moon Monument is cool. Then you can go thru Idaho Falls and keeping going east over Teton Pass into Jackson. Then head up thru Yellowstone and ride the "Beartooth Highway" from the top of Yellowstone to Red Lodge, Montana. You can then pick your way down to Estes Park, maybe Mt Evans (AM said she loved it), and then to Pikes Peak.