Orwell's Interceptor

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Colddevil, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Thorinn Oakunsheyld

Thorinn Oakunsheyld New Member

Canada
    Map
    No, not at all. I was referring to yours. I like bikes period. I am not a Harley guy, but there are Harleys I like. My buddy just bought a newer Street Rod. That said I prefer the "naked' bikes, scramblers and cafe racers. Still, I do see the value of panniers and rear boxes on a trip, Will post another new thread soon about this season's endeavors . And by the way, we're all idiots; just at different times and in different ways. "Every man is my better in that I may learn from him."

2. Colddevil

Colddevil Member

United States
    Map
    Sooo it looks like Bridgestone isn't making the BT46 in a 16" front tire size. That kind of sucks. I thought AmericanMotoTire may have just not had it listed, but this Bridgestone article indicates they're no longer making a 16" front. https://www.bridgestone.com/corporate/news/2020012803.html

I guess I'm getting a 120/80-18 BT46 rear and a 100/90-16 BT45 front.

3. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    BTs are good tires for those bikes. Don't rule out Conti Go! They feel very good on one of my VF1000R.

And you can install a 120/80-16 BT45 on that 2.5" rim. That size came stock on the VF1000R which is also a 16 x 2.5. I've done it on many VFs. Doesn't screw up the profile. A modded front fender is needed on a 500 tho, which is easy.

And you can run a 130/80-18 on the 2.75 inch rear rim too.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  4. Colddevil

Colddevil Member

United States
    Map
    Good deal. I know you (and several others) recommended the switch to 120/80-18 rear, so I went with that for Sawsi's bike. I just wanted to mention that the BT46--the BT45 successor--doesn't appear to have a 16" front anymore. The BT45 seem to be the go-to tire for this bike. American Moto Tire was out-of-stock on a bunch of the BT45 sizes, so I'm guessing that once that supply is gone, it's gone.

Interesting checking the sizes for the Conti Go!--the 120/80-16 is the only 16" front they have. So at least there's some options--though, there is no corresponding 120/80 rear. The 110/90-18 stock size is there though.

(Conti Go! chart)
    ContiGo.JPG

The Metzeler Lasertec's and Pirelli Sport Demons are the only tires I can see that have a 100/90-16 front and 120/80-18 rear available, but the Metzelers have been sold out or really expensive for well over a year now.

The Pirelli Sport Demon's are available for the stock sizes. I actually had those on my FZR, but they were pretty old before I swapped them for some Shinko somethings.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention it in case anyone else like me was searching for a 16" BT46 and confused why they couldn't find one.

5. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    If you go with a 120/80-16 front, you can go with a 130/80-18 rear. It is still acceptable on the 2.75 inch rim. Just so your front and rear tires aren't the same "size". ;) Chain guard might need a little relieving.

6. Thorinn Oakunsheyld

Thorinn Oakunsheyld New Member

Canada
    Map
    I just bought a Bridgestone BT45 110 90 16 two months ago for my 500. Maybe it was old stock?

7. Colddevil

Colddevil Member

United States
    Map
    I just did the same knowing that it's going to be newer than the 12 year old tires (BT45) currently on it, hah. Just check the tire manufacture date on the tire. I think they only just stopped manufacturing the BT45 in 2020. I would bet you're more than fine.

Thorinn Oakunsheyld likes this.
  8. Colddevil

Colddevil Member

United States
    Map
    So it's definitely lipstick on a pig, but I'm impressed with how close the rattlecan sprayed out compared to the original frame paint. It was a bitch trying to get everything down to bare metal without actually removing the engine, so I don't think this would hold up very well to any sort of abuse... but it should slow the bleeding for now and look more presentable for the 200 miles this bike will see per year :scooter:

Thanks for the paint suggestion Captain.

2021-05-20 20.29.01.jpg

2021-05-20 20.38.12.jpg

2021-05-20 19.34.43.jpg

2021-04-10 13.28.46.jpg

Also, the new tires just showed up today. Shipped in two days which is pretty crazy. Need to convince Sawsi to come over to put his tires on since putting on tires is a frustration everyone should experience once if you're a tire consumer. I just remembered I should go pick up some new valve stems from the auto store since they're at the very least 10 years old.

Almost there.

shields17 likes this.
  9. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Way better! Nice.

10. sixdog

sixdog Member

United States
    Map
    Cool, love the use of aluminum foil as masking. I've used that for decades with excellent results.

11. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    looking good Matt.

Your doing all this because your buddy fixed your sink or something like that ?

He got the better deal LOL

Your a good friend.

12. Colddevil

Colddevil Member

United States
    Map
    I would have never even considered it had Captain 80's not mentioned it in a previous post. I could have done a better job taping it up on the sump because I didn't realize it had fallen down a bit when I was applying the primer.. I got most of it off with acetone and paper towel after the fact.. most not all.

Nah, not a good friend. Just clever and frugal. This gave me an opportunity to have another VF500F winter project without having to buy one myself. The kitchen sink installation is just the icing on the cake. :Rofl:

I'll get the exhaust back on it tonight and hopefully we get the tires swapped tomorrow or Sunday. I also just got new sprockets and chain for my bike, so need to get those on. If only the Galfer braided lines weren't held up due to shortages right now, the bike would basically be "done" for the year. Hopefully we can take the two bikes out tomorrow/Sunday and feel for other issues that need to be addressed. Fingers crossed that most of them have been hit.

I actually just swapped my Penske shock out of my SV650 since it was leaking like a sieve, and I dropped it off at a local shop that will hopefully get it rebuilt before a track day at Road America in a few weeks. I'd rather not run it on the stock shock. Anyway, I mention that because I'd been sort of intimidated to remove a shock since I'd never done it before--had no idea it was going to be that simple. Now I'm going back and forth on a YSS or DMR shock for my own VF500. There's a pretty big premium for the DMR shock--especially with the remote reservoir; however, I'm probably going to have this bike forever (or 15k more miles until the engine explodes like Squirrel says it will, haha), so it may be the better idea. Kinda hemorrhaging money right now with the SV and Harbor Freight trailer I'm about to start building out, so going to think on it for at least a few more weeks before I pick which way I'll go with the shock.

13. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Nothing against DMr, his stuff is nice. But this is a VF500F. The YSS will satisfy your needs at a fraction of the cost, especially on this little, light bike. Use the money you save on the front suspension for some emulators and real (straight rate) springs and you will have a sweet handling 500.

No brainer.

14. Colddevil

Colddevil Member

United States
    Map
    Do you have a suggestion on where to buy one from? Everywhere I check is overseas. Which is fine, but if there was a US distributor/seller, I'd prefer to purchase from them.

15. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Find the correct model number. Then put that in ebay with cost plus shipping lowest filter. You will probably end up at what is essentially YSS ebay store thru a UK distributor. Lemme do some research over the weekend.

Correct choice.

16. Colddevil

Colddevil Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry, I wasn't meaning to assign you homework.

What I'm finding is that the stock shock length is 346mm. The model that I'm finding listed for the VF500F is Rear YSS Z-Series Monoshock [AC9374] https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/...aired)/84/picture/rear_yss_z-series_monoshock

In a thread on the other place, someone mentioned this model which worked for them, and I'm thinking the "340TRL" part of the MZ456 line of YSS shocks sounds like it should be close.
    upload_2021-5-22_9-21-58.png

The hangup here is that the maximum length stated is 345mm which is a hair short of the stock shock height. I'm betting the MZ456-340TRL-19 is it though. Best price I can find is about $425 shipped from the UK (I can't find this model from a US Seller). https://www.ebay.com/itm/123923666931?epid=834712326&hash=item1cda6d17f3:g:2IoAAOSw7yZbPKCb

17. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Hold on. If 340 is in the part # then it is a 340mm length shock. You ideally want to start at 345 or 350, especially if you ever have plans for a 17" wheel swap. You do get +/- 5mm on these shocks, and actually a little more. Lemme look around.

18. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    MZ456-340TRL-19

Yep, that's the one it looks like. Just measured a stock shock, 345. That shock can go up to 350mm no prob.

I am a little more adventurous and will start diving into the part #s and decoding what is the same body and mount dimensions and try and find a possible alternative. For instance, a NX650 or VTR1000F shock look like real strong candidates. And you can request a different spring thru the vendor below. But I don't want to steer somebody down the wrong road. Go with the application guide.

biketyresuk is the vendor that I have bought all of my YSS thru on ebay. They are the official YSS outlet and they tend to have the best prices with good packaging and pretty damn fast shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123923666931?epid=834712326&hash=item1cda6d17f3:g:2IoAAOSw7yZbPKCb

19. Colddevil

Colddevil Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks man, I really appreciate it. Shocks are very much the dark arts to me, and I just wasn't certain on what I needed. Ordered. That tax to purchases from Great Britain was something I didn't take into consideration, hah.

I got antsy and just decided to put the new tires on Sawsi's bike and the new chain and sprocket (yes, sprocket... ordered a 14t front when I needed a 15t.. ugh) on mine. I'd love to meet the person that originally painted this bike yellow. It's hilarious. Even the rotor studs weren't spared.

It's also crazy how sometimes tires just fall onto the wheel and other times they just absolutely refuse. The front tire I accidently put the entire thing on when I was just trying to get one of the lips over. The rear tire... About 30 minutes into swearing and bleeding from my knees and walked away to go eat lunch and think about my life decisions. I put on my knee pads, sat down and tried the exact thing I had been doing previously, and I spooned it on in less than 3 minutes.

2021-05-23 14.54.51.jpg

2021-05-23 16.27.10.jpg

2021-05-23 20.15.29.jpg

20. Kyle G.

Kyle G. New Member

United States
    Map
    (This is just my copy post from your youtube comment section)
    Looks like you know your way around tire changes. I agree 100% on the tire beads they just make a hell of a mess when trying to dismount a tire. The beads also play hell on you if you try to balance the tire in a stand without realising they're in there and can't figure out why there is no single heavy spot. It is too late now, but my advice for breaking the front axle nut loose is to do it while its still on the bike, less awkward that way. Keep the speedo side of the axle clamped in the left fork and get a wrench on the hex side after loosening the right fork axle clamp.

I'm not sure your information source for 16" BT46 tires is up to date, you should refrence the product page on the manufacturers website first. https://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/detail/pr176/ In early March I was able to find a Bridgestone Battleax BT46 120/80-16 front tire no problem at all from Rockymountain ATVMC for $112, and a 130/80-18 rear tire for $127. You can find them cheaper now that they're more readily available. Bridgestone just added 14 new tire sizes at the beginning of 2021 for the BT46 lineup with another 8 sizes coming early 2022. Now let the regret of mismatched parts settle deep into your heart, -Insert GIF of Dr. Evil laughing maniacally-.

I put these 90* valve stems on my VF750F when I did my tire change 3 months ago and I highly recommend them. I oriented them with the cap facing toward the right side of the bike so the valve is easy to get to with the bike on the side stand. It makes checking tire pressure so easy compared to the cheapie straight rubber stem it is sinful. They are nice quality thick walled chrome plated brass valve stems with threads that don't strip as easily as the aluminum ones. I bought the stubbiest ones I could find so they don't awkwardly stick out too far from the rim. If they were painted black they would blend right in and be practically invisible.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/131558552133?hash=item1ea1803245:g:~z4AAOSw-W5Uu0qQ

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2021