PC V and Map Files

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by XRedJar, Mar 21, 2018.

1. XRedJar

XRedJar New Member

United States
    Map
    For those of you that have PC Vs on your 8th gens, I just took a look at the PC V maps and have a question.

I opened the map file for the stock exhaust and filter, and see that in most of the tables that have been changed, they have been changed to negative values. That would be leaner than stock. I keep reading how lean this bike runs from the factory, and am trying to figure out how the PC V making it leaner will help.

I've got the PC V, just have not had the time to install it yet. So I figured I'd get the software downloaded and take a look at the maps. My bike is all stock at this time, but will be getting a slip on in the near future. I figured I'd install the power commander when I do the 600 mile oil change.

Anyone else seen this or have ideas why the maps look like they are pulling fuel, not adding?

2. Thomas Gessner

Thomas Gessner New Member

Germany
    Map
    It is quite common for stock fuelling to be on the rich side at wide open throttle positions. The reason for this is improved internal cooling. It is possible to make the mixture a little leaner under full load if some caution provided, as the engine combustion will become hotter as you go leaner.

In the mid range I would expect that fuelling to be a little richer, especially in the range where the exhaust gases are measured during emmission control . This actually is the area where the PCV does typically add some grunt.

XRedJar likes this.
  3. XRedJar

XRedJar New Member

United States
    Map

Typically, I've seen in both cars and bikes that when you go WOT, you would have to add fuel to the stock tables to get to the best AFR for power and cooling. I know not all vehicles are the same though.

I'd also think that in the mid range where the emission tests are done. Being leaner there would keep the emission numbers as good as they can be. Manufacturers tune more for emissions rather than hitting the best AFR for the most power.

I could be wrong......and maybe these days the manufacturers are getting is closer. Just seemed odd to me that everything I've read and know from my 6th gen VFR was that they are fueled lean. I know a PCIII really helped my 6th gen.

I'll install it when I do my first oil change and see how it runs.

Thanks

4. Corrugated

Corrugated New Member

Canada
    Hi guys,

Just a quick update after installing my PCV the other day. Install took a couple hours total, well worth the upgrade in my opinion :). My butt-dyno can feel the extra few HP and torque across the board and the VTEC transition is smoother again. Fuel consumption will most likely be slightly more, as to be expected, but not enough to negate the whole of the improvements. Bike mods include the usual: Delkevic slip on, quick shifter, final drive gear change to come in the future. I used the map that Dynojet has on their site and it works just fine. Mucho recommended!

:0

XRedJar likes this.
  5. XRedJar

XRedJar New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks much

I figure the Power Commander folks know what they are doing. It was just surprising to see that almost every edit made to the fueling table (the stock map) was a negative value. The map for the Arrow slip on without silencer had some positive values in it. I'll be getting the Arrow slip on here in the next couple of weeks. I'm not finding much on the net for other maps for 8th gens.