Picked up my '99 today

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by selecw, Apr 1, 2013.

1. selecw

selecw New Member

My first VFR. Mint, with only 6750 miles and one owner since new (plus new tires and battery). I picked it up for a bargain $3,000.

It joins, amongst others, a K1600GTL in the garage. It was interesting driving them back to back.

Anyway, I got the chance to take it on a 20 mile spin, half of which was freeway and half a windy mountain road. Intial thoughts

1. Engine feels good. Not particularly powerful but very tractable.
    2. Good brakes, with good feel. That surprised me. I'll probably change the hoses.
    3. Riding position was a little more cramped than I expected. I have a bad knee which probably contributes to this feeling. Bar risers and rear sets will probably be on the purchase list.
    4. The airflow over the shield was clean, but I will probably find a taller screen as I will be commuting on it.
    5. I'd like a more fruity exhaust. But that may have to wait.

I also need to add a rack. If anyone has any recommendations on that or the screen let me know. I am sure it's alll on this site somewhere but I have not yet had the time to check.

Here's a pic IMG_7253.jpg IMG_7253.jpg

2. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    Congrats. If the regulator/rectifier has not been upgraded i would certainly put that on your list. It is the one and only flaw on these great bikes and can and will leave you stranded. Best 150 bucks i have spent on mine. There are a few different ways to go about it. I ordered mine from ricksmotorsports through my dealer and then did awY with the connector by . Just soldering my wires from the stator. No more problems. You can search on this site for other ways to do it but i would not trust the stock oem r/r for anything. Again welcome to vfr ownership its a great bike to own.

3. brentlbaker

brentlbaker New Member

Looks like new! Taylor is right on with the R/R. Change that before anything else if it is original. I like my Givi touring windshield for commuting and there are a handful of exhausts out there. I like my high mount micron carbon but some day want to do a 6th gen dual conversion with subframe.

4. Durk

Durk New Member

3. Riding position was a little more cramped than I expected. I have a bad knee which probably contributes to this feeling. Bar risers and rear sets will probably be on the purchase list.
    4. The airflow over the shield was clean, but I will probably find a taller screen as I will be commuting on it.

I added Heli bars which made a world of difference. I have a bad knee (my right) but neither bar really affected it as I'm 5'10" and they aren't bent too much anyways.
    I added a double bubble which is an improvement but one of the "tourer" screens would do more. Once I hit the highway and go about 65+ there is still a lot of wind blast.

5. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    I felt the same way about the double bubble. I was hoping for a little more wind deflection over stock but not sure if it helped at all. I do like the look of it though.

6. white_335i

white_335i New Member

Congrats. That is a sweet looking bike for a great price and low miles too..