Please allow me to re-introduce myself

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Chicky, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Chicky

Chicky New Member

United States
    Map
    MVIMG_20190412_175911.jpg I was a member on here from around 2009 to.... 2014/2015? I had a 2007 VFR800 and after my parents passing in 2015, I took some time to check out. I bought a 44ft toyhauler RV, and a dually to pull it, and took off. I traveled around AZ, UT, NV and spent a bit of time in the Bay Area of CA. I ended up selling my VFR because I couldn't load it in and out of the toyhauler on my own. I go a Suzuki SV650 which was much easier to load. Well, this past December, I learned about a job opening to be a test rider for Harley Davidson motorcycles. I applied, went put for an interview/skills test and got hired! I've been working at the Arizona Proving Grounds and living in Kingman AZ since January and I like it here so much I bought a house, which I will be moving into this weekend, and I will be selling the toyhauler and dually (anyone interested? Lol!!). So, since I will have a homebase and a garage again, I went on a search for another VFR. This time, I got a 5th gen. A 99. I just took for a spin for a little over 100 miles tonight and I know I made the right choice. I will post more pics when I get some time, but I wanted to get back on the forum and say hi to all my old friends here! Oh and somewhere along my ride tonight, the headlight went out. Most likely bulb...?? Anybody have any good suggestions for LED headlight bulbs for a 5th gen? It's good to be back!!

duccmann, Thumbs and Samuel like this.
  2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Welcome back. I met someone from Vegas who was very helpful a few years back when I was travelling through and ran into mechanical difficulties. Maybe you know her.

3. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Welcome back. Would love to hear some of your adventures with the toy hauler. I have considered at times to sell the house, grab one of those, load the bikes up and then live nowhere in particular...

4. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Welcome back Chicky. I too am just getting back online after taking a 2 year hiatus to catch up on some more pressing things in life ... I too had a '99 VFR that I bought brand new back in the day. Great bike. I do miss the gear driven cams for sure. You will love it.

5. Chicky

Chicky New Member

United States
    Map
    That's odd... I once helped a guy from Canada on a VFR who had some issues while passing thru. Was that YOU?! ;)

I love it already after just a few miles. It has an Erion exhaust and it's strange to have the whiring of the gear driven cams and the sharp staccato of the exhaust. I get lost in listening to the music!

6. Chicky

Chicky New Member

United States
    Map
    I was fortunate that I could do my bookkeeping work from the road. I'm really glad I had the experience and it was really wonderful having the ability to pickup and go anywhere anytime. However, even before I took the plunge I realized RVing is much more expensive than most people realize. You already own your home on wheels but still have to pay "rent" wherever you go. RV parks aren't cheap. I was part of a discount membership thing so I paid nothing as long as I stayed in their RV parks. That worked really well for me... I boondocked a few times but even then I had to run the generator to have heat or a.c. depending on where I was, and had the cost of gas to keep that going. None of it really matters though.... I enjoyed being a nomad. Gotta say after 2.5 years living in roughly 450sqft, I started to long for more space. And I missed having a "home base" and some sort of consistent social life. And I really missed having my VFR!! Once I landed the job at the proving grounds and decided to stay, it was the perfect time to get a house with a garage. I bought some bedroom furniture from a consignment place and that's the only furniture I have right now. But... I have my VFR and that makes me happy!! I will probably get a much smaller RV at some point to do some weekend travel in, but for now it's nice to have some roots again. I definitely recommend doing the RV thing at least for a year if you can. It's a great experience!

7. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Wife and I should be travelling through your neck of the woods next January with the fifth wheel so will definitely look you up. We may stay a few days at some RV park there to take in some of the sights Vegas has to offer. Of course I have seen some but the wife has not. Will have you over for a BBQ while we are there.

8. Chicky

Chicky New Member

United States
    Map
    It would be great to see you again Randy, and get to meet your lovely wife!! I'm not in Vegas though, I'm in Kingman AZ, so keep me posted on your travel plans. With a little bit of planning I can be in Vegas in about 90 minutes. If you haven't been to Kingman area, you might want to come down this way. It's know for it's position along the Rt 66 Corridor and it's just a couple hours drive to the Grand Canyon....

9. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

You can check out...but you can never leave :Nono: Welcome back.

Chicky likes this.