PowderCoating DIY

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by RllwJoe, Dec 3, 2020.

1. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Silicon spray in a wood working shop is the evilest thing you can use. Everything is all fine and dandy until you finish your project, sand and stain then finish coat and then a couple days later, there it is. Damned fish eyes everywhere.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
  2. bmonnig

bmonnig New Member

United States
    Yup. Silicone is the devil.

3. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Thanks bmonnig for all your insight.

I ordered the recomended gun and have been looking into what is required to build a "pregnant" oven.
    The thing that pushed me to persue this was when I called a pro powder coater 3-4 miles from my house and asked for a ballpark figure to PC my Jeep wheels. When he told me it would run approx 300 USD each I asked him if that included the necessary prep work of blasting ect.. The flat answer was "no", they need to be ready to coat before he would do the job.

So, even if I had a local pro PC my items, I would still need to do all the prep myself. The PC and baking is the easyer job in my mind. From my research a good PC finish depends heavily on the preperation of the surface before coating.

When I get this set up I'm sure that I will find many items that will benefit from being power coated.

Any and all insight into the whole process, especially if you have first hand experence, is greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021