Pre & post mod. Dyno results anyone ?

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Gman, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Sparks

Sparks New Member

Hello
    Has anyone used a TuneBoy rather then the Power Commander as it just uses the existing ignition cpu ,remapping using a lap top allowing fueling adjustments per 100 rpm or so. I had my Triumph EFI set up on a dyno with one , just a lot cheaper as you just buy the softwere licence for about £70 and dyno time no extra hardware that remaps the originial signals.

2. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    I wouldn't ride a 6 gen without some minor gearing. Less a PCIII, custom map, and a pipe-- it's about all you can do to strengthen that flabby mid-section. I used to do a -1 front and am now on a stock front/+2 rear and I wouldn't personally go any further than that. It may not be the best mod a person can do but it is certainly the most bang for the buck. Longevity aside, converting to a 520 chain and sprockets does some nice things as well.

Sorry, thread on. I can't provide stock dyno numbers as all of the modifications were installed at the time of dynoing. I plan on doing Delkevic or motad headers this spring followed by a another dyno run, so I should have those numbers to compare in a few months. It should also be interesting to find out just how much HP was gained/retrieved by converting to a light weight 520 set-up.

3. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    that sounds like a way better idea than the pc, but they seem to be mainly for triumphs and ktms. the only dynos that i saw were triumphs. id like to go that rought being that you have control over all the parameters not just fuel like with the powercommander.

4. Sparks

Sparks New Member

Hi Mr Candy
    Yes you're right Honda's ar'nt listed ,pitty as it is a great tuning tool.

5. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    yeah i dont think id mess with the top speed or rev limiter...
    but it would be great to get into the ignition mapping, and also the warm up fuel enrightment and idle speed...

6. duke

duke New Member

I am 48 and love going fast. I have owned and ridden Ducati Superbikes for quite some time and am new to the Honda VFR.

The Honda is a great sport/touring bike and does its job very well. Having said that it is not an all out performance machine. It is heavy and has a relaxed riding position. This is great for the road but not so much for the track.

I am very fortunate that I have both type of bikes but I find myself riding the Honda more now because of the comfort. Must be old age setting in.

7. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    My 98 was dynoed at 98.3hp this summer. The only mod is a Delkevic high mount. I don't have a dyno from before the mod, sorry.

8. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    Ah ha! Another former sportbike rider tastes the fruit of the forbidden tree.

9. 26.2 man

26.2 man New Member

Let me preface my post by saying that I'm just an Old Southern rider and dumber than a rock. I had my '07 dynoed today to see if I would gain any performance by adding a PC after I swapped stock exhaust for Leo Vince. Bike came out at 97.8 hp with f/a ratio just a tad lean. That I would expect. Now using my short school bus math; each hp equals $100.00 above the 98? Don't know about you riders, I'm through with change.

10. Spike

Spike New Member

I got mine dyno'd after the mods only, and got 95.96 hp and 53.37 lb ft.

11. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    The HP gains are small to be sure, but I would expect that your bike is running a hell of a lot better for having done the dyno. For me, just tuning out the flabby mid-section was worth every penny.

12. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    Yep, losing 20 lbs is the cheapest mod you can make, and has the best overall results, hands down. You, not the bike.....heheheheheee

my 98 dyno'ed at 99 hp but I wouldnt let the guys running the dyno take it over 10500. It has a staintune and a PCII. When I want more than that from a bike, I'll either take the whole damn thing apart and create a new engine like NCB, or buy a different bike.

13. toro1

toro1 New Member

I got some pretty decent results on an '06 by bolting on a breathing aid:

[​IMG]

The most noticeable, best bang for the buck on a stock bike is a gearing change. For me, -1/+2 was a blast. A Power Commander with a tuned map will make the powerband feel much better, and of course a pipe will free up a couple ponies, but for serious power, the only options are increased displacement, nitrous, or forced induction.

14. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    Very cool. I love the supercharger idea. I think that for the '98 I would be better off putting some money into the suspension (then the supercharger!) After going to CCS I found the limits of the bike pretty quickly.

That supercharger gets me all sprung. hehe

15. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

for $60.00 I got the same results as a PC3 w/ my chip and some free mods

16. Elkwood

Elkwood New Member

United States
    Map
    Man that is some sweet hp gains!!!

How does the stock suspension hold up to that kind of increase in hp?? Did u guys need to upgrade the brakes ?

17. toro1

toro1 New Member

Stock suspension and brakes handle it perfectly fine. Because the power increase is linear in nature, the chassis doesn't get upset, though the front end does get rather light in the first few gears... :wink:

As long as you remember to brake earlier (due to higher speeds), the bike stops great, slowing without drama.

18. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

you are showing over a 100hp in stock trim, I have not seen a VFR hit over 98 yet.
    How did you come up with the stock base numbers??

19. toro1

toro1 New Member

The '06 we built the kit around already had a custom exhaust on it (can be seen here) which eliminated the cat and added larger diameter tubing, culminating in twin 2.5" pipes and Ferracci cans (the bike originally was 98hp with the stock exhaust). Though I did not run the bike on our dyno beforehand (those numbers were provided by the owner), the N/A run was SAE corrected on a Dynojet dyno, so the results should be nearly identical.

It's rare to see a 5th-gen crack 100whp, but I have seen plenty of 6th-gens in the 103-108whp range, most of the time after the stock header has been swapped for the '98-'99 catless version. Under boost, the results show the 6th-gen outperforming the 5th-gen across the entire powerband (except at the very point where the VTEC engages), leading me to believe that the 6th-gens have slightly better heads and/or ignition timing.

20. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

so was this number with out a power comander???
    I need to look for a header I guess