Pre-stages of track ready

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by MileHighInterceptor, Jan 24, 2009.

1. MileHighInterceptor

MileHighInterceptor New Member

So I finally managed to have the time to take the bike down for the 16k mile valve adjustment, only about 8k mi later. Completed everything else on the service, just need the valves done. The bike will be getting new NGK plugs at the same time.

In an effort to get the bike to a point where it will run as well as possible on a track next summer, I've started a chain of upgrades. First is to upgrade the part of the shift mechanism. While the valves/plugs are being worked on I'm having a Factory Pro Pro Shift Kit installed. This is the middle of the line upgrade to the shift mechanism ($89.99).

"The simple "roller bearing detent arm, FPT arm spring and a gasket" kits are designed to get rid of most missed shifts, are about 10%-15% firmer than stock to shift, but do the job of speeding up shifting and help keeping missed shifts from damaging your gears. Firmer spring to speed up shifting and less friction with the roller bearing to let the shift drum move quicker.
    price: $89.95
    "

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next up kit adds in the EVO Shift Star which is mainly beneficial when doing rather hard core road, track or drag strip racing. After speaking with mechanics at Faster Motorsports (doing all service on bikes) here in Denver, the $90 kit will make plenty of difference and feel far better.

Next up will be the fork rebuilding by Faster. $600 gets the forks rebuilt and the bike setup exactly to my body.

After that comes the remapping of the PCIII USB. Right now I am running a Staintunes with a K&N on the European map for both (supposedly the EU maps change RPMs every 250 vice 500 on the US maps.). At first I thought it wouldn't make but a 1-2 HP difference by having it mapped (from what I have learned). After speaking with Faster MS, who also builds and races bikes, they have said, being that all engines are unique, that they will be able to pull good power out of it as well as optmize its performance to the best possible.

I have looked into installing some velocity stacks but have not found any that are specific to Gen. 6's; might end up fabricating some from aluminum or something. If so, I'll look into possible refabing the air box all together. At the least, possibly installing a ram air setup.

The rest of these upgrades are all possibles but would come after the fore mentioned.
    -larger oil cooler
    -injectors
    -stainess steel brake and clutch lines
    -shift/clutch levers
    -under tail light kit (French manufacture)

This is all dependant upon how cost effective it is compared to the performance gains. I really want to get the bike out onto a track next season. After reading and talking to folks, I'll probably end up taking a sesson at Go4It racing here in Colorado.

Anyone else out there thought about/have/in the process of making their Gen 6 into a semi track bike or doing the not-so-normal perfomance upgrades? If so, what? Where are you at? Ride at? Hit me up!

2. JTC

JTC New Member

United States
    Map
    This is the type of post/thread that brought me to this site. In fact, less than two years ago this site was mostly gearhead and tech. with a minimal amout of socializing and frivolous chit-chat. However, it seems now that the tide has turned. Anyway, sorry for the little off topic rant...well, maybe not really...

BTW. The only mods that I've done to mine are BMC air filter and +2 on on the back.
    Even though I could probably buy a tricked out CBR1000 for less, If I had the time I would like do mods like NCB. Unfortunately, it seems that these days money comes easier than time...
    Thanks again for the thread.

3. MileHighInterceptor

Thank you for the thanks! Its nice to know there are others out there who have that somewhat adventerous spirit when it comes to their bikes.

All of my mods so far, aside from the stuff the bike is in the shop for, are listed on my profile when I post. My back sprocket is stock but I'm -1 in the front. I'm pretty happy with that setup for now. Stock the '02 Gen 6's run 97hp. I would estimate that mine is between 100 and 105hp right now. I want to have the forks worked over first but am anxious to have the PCIII mapped. The shop that will do it will to a pre and post dyno before the mapping; I really want to see what it is sitting at.

So, have you done any track riding on your Viffer?

4. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Mile High:

Nice upgrades.

I have an additional one before you hit the track.

If you havn't done one, sign up for a Keith Code California Superbike School Level 1 day. Take your VFR instead of using their bikes.

Proper training will help you utilize these mods.

BZ

5. betarace

betarace New Member

+1 on CSS, well worth the cake!

6. NeverlosT

NeverlosT New Member

ive been to the track on the viffer. My mods are PCIII, Leo Vince CF exhaust, BMC air filter, michelin pilot power tires. I use the stock gearing.

My suggestion for the track, to tell you the truth, would be to remove the center-stand. It is a PIA and I havent done it yet since you need to remove the exhaust partially to do it, but it is the reason you need such long feeler pegs on your foot-pegs, and it will keep you from tipping the bike as far as it can and will happily go. There is no worse feeling methinks than nailing your feeler-pegs deep in a corner and having it upset your foot and bike control.

I loved the VFR on the track. It was fast, turned well, the braking was impressive, and a ton of fun. I let the back end go a little too often downshifting into hard turns, but that is something to work on.
    Biggest thing is, just get out there to the track and have some fun. Dont get intimidated or nuts or anything, just crank around the track at your own pace and you will love it.
    I would do that before you spend toooo much $$$ on the VFR since you may find (as I did) that the VFR is a blast on the track and the street, but if you are going to do more frequent track riding, just buying a CBR600RR or something like that may be a better way to spend your cash (they are a lot easier to fix if you lay her down...). My biggest worry on the track was probably not bodily harm, it was messing up my 25th anniversary fairings!

The bike sounds like it is coming along nicely! Good work!

7. vwrxtrd

vwrxtrd New Member

Have you tried the track in Dacono? 35 bucks to ride. It's a short track, pretty technical, but its a blast to ride. It's actually a kart track. 1 mile 10 or 11 turns about 80mph on the back straight.

IMI Motorsports

8. MileHighInterceptor

Thanks a lot for all of the suggestions! I'll definitely have to look into taking that center stand off when the time comes. If so, might just pick up a singe swing arm lift for changing oil.

Right now I have a Joe Rocket Supermoto jacket; need to get the pants that attach to it. Stupidly I left the jacket attached to the side of the bike while in class and didn't think that the pipe would actuall be hot enought to melt the heavy duty zipper. Needless to say I can't zip it up more than three inches. Sent an email to Joe Rocket inquiring about a replacement zipper; no word yet.

Right now I'm running Michelin Pilot Road 2's on it. They are great tires, the best that I've ever had on the road. Probably going to pick up a set of Pilot Powers for the track off the owner at Faster.

Thanks again for all of the info!

9. MileHighInterceptor

No, I haven't tried Dacono yet. I have heard of it before but don't know where it is at. That's not the one in Pueblo, is it? Sounds like a pretty fun time even if it is short. Is it 35 for the day or a couple of laps?

10. vwrxtrd

vwrxtrd New Member

Dacono is 20 or 30 minutes north of denver. the track is called IMI motorsports and yes its hard to believe but 35 dollars for all day.:rolleyes: Although truth be told, that track will wear you out fast my last time out I did 3 fifteen minute sessions and I was finished.

11. MileHighInterceptor

Nice! Thanks for the info! I'll have to grab my buddy on his '01 R1 and ride/drive up to check it out. Sounds like a great price. So, 45 minutes of riding and you were beat eh? Must be a lot of quick left to rights and vice versa. Either way I totally want to check it out. What do you think about High Plains Raceway (HPR) opening up soon? From what I have heard, it should be open this summer. After looking at a map, I realized that HPR is going to be right down the road from by good friends parents house. Granted, it is half way between here and Nebraska. :) Just thought that might come in handy if I were to go out and be looking for a place to crash.

Can't wait to get my bike back this week. Really anxious to see how it runs and shifts after the service. Hopefully in the next couple weeks I can get it back down to Faster and have them rebuild the forks. I can only imagine how much better it will handle in the corners, let alone the track, after that.

I am thinking about unlinking the braking. I imagine that it wouldn't be too hard to do; probably would work by adding a 929/954/RC51 master cylinder to it. If I did that, it would also be when I come up with the cash to drop on stainless braided brake and clutch lines.

12. Hotbrakes

Hotbrakes New Member

United States
    The only complaint I had about the VFR on the track was the front end dive. Sounds like you got that problem worked out. Oh and the feelers which promptly came off before the second session.

I wouldn't be too concerned about getting more power out of the engine. If you want more speed get a more sport oriented bike. The V4 is in its element on the track though, sucks the damn chassis is so heavy. But skills will get you around much faster than 10 more ponies.

13. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    What's up Milehigh, you're on the right track(no pun intended) with faster motors. They dynoed mine and it nearly eliminated the power drop just before the vtech transition. Some power gain was achieved as well, not a ton but some. I think the most benifit is in the smoothness of the torque and hp curve. No funky drops. Added torque and acceleration in the mids. For instance, I don't need to engage the vtech to make a quick manuever anymore. Another thing you may want to consider before dropping $600 on forks is to have faster set the sag, what they'll end up doing is turning your preload adjustment all the way down and then stiffining up the rebound.This is a semi-custom fit and is enormously less expensive(10 min. labor.) I did this to mine and I love it, no more front end dives and the bike provides a lot more feed back. It's not always the most comfortable thing on a bumpy surface but not bad and worth the sacrifice. If it's not enough you can always do the rebuild. Good luck and let me know how everything goes!
    Also you may want to do the dyno before anything else. With all my mods at faster it was the most effective. the sag being a close second.

We gotta get out for a ride, you'ld be more than welcome to take mine for a run.

14. chickwebb

chickwebb New Member

I'm calling BS here. :bs:

[RANT=ON]

This guy's never been on the track, doesn't even have full leathers for fooks sake, and you're encouraging him to do more mods?! You all are nucking futs.

I've tracked my VFR (also a 2002). In full leathers, with Dunlop Qualifiers, -1 front sprocket, and no (zero, zilch, nada) other mods. It's a blast. As soon as I got the bug, though, I went straight out and did the smart thing; I got a dedicated track bike.

Why? Because no matter how you hop up the engine, mod the suspension, etc., etc., etc., the VFR is a fat, slow pig compared to any sportbike built in the past 10 years. Nothing you ever do will change that, and you'll be throwing good money down the tubes trying to do so. I love my VFR, but not so much on the track. It handles great (yeah, the front end is a little divey, but the brakes are great), has reasonable power, but it aint' no racer. In my first trackday out on the new bike, I shaved almost 10 seconds off my fastest laps on the VFR, and that's while I was still getting used to the new ride! YMMV, of course, but I thinks that's illustrative of my point.

Also, sh*t happens on the track and track riding is hard on bikes, especially those that aren't purpose-built for it. Are you going to be happy thrashing your beautiful '02? What are you going to be thinking as you pick the poor mangled beast out of the dirt after you low-side it one day chasing somebody on a faster bike?

My advice is 1) get some proper gear (full leathers high quality boots & gloves), 2) take the VFR out to the track, as is, and see how much fun you have, 3) repeat that process as often as you can possibly afford it for one season. During your first season, try to get some of your new track buddies to let you take their GXR-600s or 600RRs out for a session. You'd be amazed at how willing people are to lend their hardware this way.

After that, and only after that, consider what you want to do going forward. For $2-3k you can get a good starter track bike, already tricked out to some extent, and you'll probably find it both much more capable and much more fun. My bet is that you'll end up there. Next year. This year, spend your money on gear and seat time. Ride safe, ride smart, and you'll have a ball.

[RANT=OFF]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  15. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    Hi chick, I don't think the point of tuning a 6 gen is all about horse power and track. As you know a VFR is not an ideal track bike. For me, all the mods and tuning are more about getting a 6 gen to run the way it should of been running right off of the showroom floor. Smoother, more midrange power, and less jolt from the V-Tech. All the mods in the world will never make a VFR into an Aprillia and the more dangerous, experience required, style bike that they and others like it are!

16. MileHighInterceptor

Chick,

I completely understand where you are coming from. I KNOW that at some point in the future I WILL own a track bike.

The purpose of the mods is not soley to have for track sake but rather for maximum performance on the road. Like havcar said, it is to get the Viffer 'to where it should be' from the show room.

When I bought my gen 6 I knew that it by no means would be a match up for speed and agility like the 6's and litres. I am a complete lover of v bikes and this one allows me to satisfy that thirst with a very good amount of power and good maneuverability while being able to do it for 250 miles without loosing my ass.

The remaining mods that I want to do will allow for about the sportiest setup on my VFR to have fun in mountains with and be good for those occasional track days.

17. betarace

betarace New Member

notwithstanding the BS callout, which I wont touch. I can tell you that the VFR in beginner track groups is very capable, fun and more than holds its own against any modern bike. While I do agree a dedicated track bike is the way to go long term, the VFR in capable hands is not at all out of place, embarrassed or even slow - again in beginner track groups.

It has proven to be faster into turns an on exits vs. many poorly skilled "scream and park" guys on R1000s and 600s, has MUCH more grunt on exits than any modern 600 to this day, always makes people triple check what you are riding (and in some cases passing them with) and is ALWAYS fun.

case in point:
    here is me on my 92 at Thunderbolt being followed by a 2008 848 - aweful lines on his part, including a near runoff the track was a leveler for -3- laps. Move to time index 3:44, I am in black on my 92. Between us is my buddy on a ZX6R YouTube - NESBA NJMP Group B 11/01/2008 (Part 1)

Mr Zanetti and I are not in the back, and not in the front of B class and are in that zone where we are rarely passed. All on stock bikes, tires, subtle mods (pipe, sprocket).

For your first (or first 10) track days, any bike is fine. Learn the skills, enjoy the sport, buy something appropriate later once you are into it.

18. relic rider

relic rider New Member

Imo a good riding school will do more for your riding than spending dollars on your bike .Money spent learning how to ride will always be with you ,not all the toys you bought for a bike that you sell to up grade to better bike later on.This from a guy that has old bikes and never been on the track but years and miles in the saddle and a few on the road too. Many youngsters all over have been humbled by a old guy on a inferior bike .

19. chickwebb

chickwebb New Member

My point is that the legions of Honda engineers in their shiny white lab coats have already worked long and hard to ensure that you have the "maximum performance on the road" (at least as is resonable given the limits of riding on the road). If you think you're smarter than those guys, well, more power to you. There are plenty who have come before you and been wrong (Dan Kyle being the exception, of course).

If you think you need more performance than those guys have provided (on the street), then you're just asking for trouble and I'm glad I'm not the one that's going to have to clean up the mess when you blow a turn in Poudre canyon and they have to fish your ass out of the creek.

Whether you've figured it out yet or not, you viffer is "where it should be" right out of the crate. It's a very capable sport tourer, with very linear power delivery and great ergonomics. That's all, and yet it's enough. Yeah, you might be able to tweak it a bit by adding a PCIII, etc., etc., but the fact of that matter is that beyond that you're just flogging a mule. And the mule always wins...

Spend your money on seat time (and tires, they wear out really fast!) for now. Keep the VFR for configured for long distance cruising. Worry about performance later. And, take it to the track.

20. chickwebb

chickwebb New Member

I agree with this response completely; in fact, it proves my point. The VFR, out of the crate with no modifications vwhatsoever, is a great entry-level track bike. You can go around all day, for many days, and come out of the experience a better rider with a sh*t eatin' grin on your face. But that's where it ends and anyone who thinks otherwise is just dreaming, IMHO.

I also believe that modifying the VFR to try to make it substantially more capable is a waste of time and money. If you're hell-bent on doing track days, get a proper track bike, throw it on a trailer, and go out to the track and have a ball. When you get back, take the VFR out for a quick jaunt and you'll be amazed at how fun it is at "below knee-draggin'" speeds. I do it. It works.