Project: Truth (Streetfighter Project)

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by derdummkopf67, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Great project, good luck in school. I keep reminded my kids when you finish school you will have plenty of time to play :)
    Keep up the good work...................:thumbsup:

2. derdummkopf67

derdummkopf67 New Member

Thanks Scubalong!

Here is another mock up of the engine. I still need to paint the "radiator transfer pieces" in gold.
    [​IMG]

3. Motographer

Motographer New Member

United States
    Map
    Dat engine...WOW. If it were possible to show a paint job like that off with the fairings, I'd 100% do it. Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out!

4. Scubalong

United States
    :hss: That engine is so clean..............wow Great job, you have to swing by OC to show me your bike when it done.

5. Keenaz

Keenaz New Member

Any updates on this build?

6. zedicus

zedicus New Member

how about a half fairing? like the superhawk or something? then some of that engine you spent all that time on will at least be visible.

as for 'matte pearl white' its not going to look the way you want. i would suggest atleast a semi-gloss. otherwise it will just look like its really light blueish. semi-gloss will give enough reflectivity (is that a word?) to at least get the pearl effect to look like its doing something. also suspend the pearl coat between a couple layers of clear. (clear can be used to give the gloss, semi-gloss, or matte effect, regardless of the sheen of the paint.)

most of my garage sprays are done with a 'primer gun' equipment is LESS important then technique. i have a set of fairings that a guy sprayed in a paint booth with 2000$ worth of painting equipment and my wife could have done a better job with a rattle can.

7. safetypro10

safetypro10 New Member

United States
    Map
  8. Keenaz

Keenaz New Member

Great idea. I wanted to something like this with a Daytona 675 (end up looking like an SV650s or FZ1). But this damn V4 motor has me hooked on VFR's now :)

9. derdummkopf67

derdummkopf67 New Member

I apologize for the lack of posted progress. I'm still tied up in school. My last final is next Friday (12/21). I have not done anything since my last post. But, Here are a few pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Scubalong

United States
    :hss: The engine look sick...............BTW good luck with your final.
    Remember 12/21/12 is end of the world according to the Mayan :rolleyes:

11. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    For future reference.. A great degreaser is GUNK. Buy the concentrate and mix with #2 diesel. Scrub with a old paintbrush and hose it off.

Aluminum can be tricky to paint or better said, difficult to get finish coats to adhere. Aluminum and it's alloys outgas.. Aircraft and marine grade primers like zinc chromate work fine and for small jobs there are rattle can etching primers. For plastic a good primecoat is Krylon "Fusion."

Most "metal" primers are for ferrous metals. Painting stainless is a bitch..

Powdercoating is constantly improving in quality, selection and versatility. What was a year ago may be different and better today. Best bet IMO is an industrial powdercoater rather than a botique outfit.

12. zedicus

zedicus New Member

thats been disproved several times now. heck even our government came out and said its not tru, and our government never lies.

that engine is beautiful. i picked up one of thous powdercoating kits and a toaster oven for a couple hundered dollars and the results are amazing. its more in the technique and the powder then it is the expense of the gun and the oven. something to consider.

13. Scubalong

United States
    Zedicus, your Avatar is very distracting especially at work :rolleyes:
    (Sorry for the thread hi jack)

14. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

Sweet looking engine :)

The PAIR removal, Pro's = better fueling, smidge lighter bike. Con's = NONE.

Keep up the good work.

15. derdummkopf67

derdummkopf67 New Member

After a sleepless week, writing and editing over 100 pages of material, I am back! I just ordered a few parts, just waiting for their arrival. This week is going to consist of finding a good powder-coating shop. Actually, while we're on the topic, I wanted to discuss the overall color scheme of the bike. In my mind, I'd like to hit three specific colors (Satin Pearl White, Candy Red, and Gold). Overall, white will be the color of the body (i.e. gas tank, fairings, etc.) Following, I've decided to powder-coat the frame and swing arms candy red. This is where the dilemma arises! What color should the for base be? Should I get them done in candy red? The brake calipers are gold (pictured on page one). Would that look awkward? From there, I think to myself, what color should the wheels be? I think candy red would be overkill. Gold, I think, would look best.

So, do you think I am working with too many colors? Another option, one I don't prefer, would be to powder-coat the frame and swing arm black, white body, and candy red wheels. I need your 2 cents!

Now for, the body work. I am going to wrap the body in a Satin Pearl White (on feebay). I haven't done any measurements yet, but how much would I need? Also, I'm considering getting a sixth gen tank (like I did to my other 5th gen: pictured below) Only thing is, when I did that... my corbin seat did not fit properly anymore. So, I reverted to my stock seat.
    [​IMG]

On another note, I hate an extra headlight housing I'm not going to use for my project. I took it apart to paint the lenses and install projectors (with halos). Anyone interested? I can paint the lenses any color (right now they're gloss black).
    [​IMG]

P.S. I will be sure to close the pair valve.

16. derdummkopf67

derdummkopf67 New Member

That actually sounds like a good idea. I'll run some mock ups once I'm at 60-70% done. Thanks

17. derdummkopf67

derdummkopf67 New Member

I found a reputable powder-coater, it would be nice to get some input on the color scheme.

18. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    The first source of information is the selection the powdercoater has in stock or can order. There is also gloss level to be decided as well as any "pearl" or "metallic"

IMO you need to do your own homework on the "scheme" and choice of "colors". Many "schemes" work on some things and on others they look like shit. Envision your bike in titty pink and cruising West Hollywood. or a zip through Compton in red or blue..or black and white.

Tons of books on color combinations, including the psychology of same. Ya might even find some pix of custom paintwork on a few bikes and cars if ya look real hard on the net.

That's my fittycent..

19. derdummkopf67

derdummkopf67 New Member

Thank Badbilly, I will try to do a Photoshop rendition of the bike. I'll try different color combos. I'll post pictures soon. By the way, I picked up a sixth gas tank on ebay for $25.50 total!

20. derdummkopf67

derdummkopf67 New Member

So, I haven't been working too much on this project because I'm working so that I can afford it. I decided on the fairing that I want for the bike. IT's an undisclosed racing fairing that will be modded to fit a single projector. Also, the color scheme is final. Taking in all my parts for powdercoating next Thursday (payday). I'm excited to say the least. My garage looks like a chop shop ATM. I go back to school on the 28th but I have two days off per week that will be dedicated to finish this project. My goal is to finish this project by early March.