Project: Truth (Streetfighter Project)

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by derdummkopf67, Jul 24, 2012.

1. friedleyjr

friedleyjr New Member

Powder Coating Equipment Colors Guns Paint Systems Cost is a great place to look for powder for your frame and it is a really good price. I would suggest you buy the powder yourself and have the place you choose put it on. also remember to order more then you need so you can get it from the same batch. That way you have extra for future usage. The colors you had previously metioned will be a good option IMO. I like to see this type of project going on. I cant wait until I have the extra time to start a project bike up. I hope all works out for you and I cant wait to see the finished product.

2. derdummkopf67

derdummkopf67 New Member

It's summer vacation for me. I lost my job shortly after my last post. In turn, I was not able to invest in the Motorcycle. I picked up a crashed ninja 250 and sold it for a little bit of profit. I finally have all of the powder coating done. Here is a teaser. It actually looks way better in real life!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. derdummkopf67

derdummkopf67 New Member

I noticed a lot of blemishes, uneven coverage, and runs on the parts. I took them back to refinish them. So far, they only have my deposit. I am paying a lot of money for them to leave them perfect. What do I do if they fail to meet my expectations? here is another teaser.
    [​IMG]

4. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Buying your own powder is not a great idea unless doing your own powdercoating. A powdercoating booth in commercial shops have reclaiming capabilities. The powder application is an anode/cathode operation with the fusing as the second operation in the process,

Runs and skippers? Hell no..

I'm wondering why the wheels were done like that, possibly creating a too slick surface for mounting a tire. (??)

Generally powdercoating even though it can be a "boutique" thing, is best done IMO by a commercial shop. I send stuff like that out to a company that does plating and coating for Kenworth. Yep, them bigass diesel rigs.

Great color, keep up the good work as the $$s allow.

5. Kerby

Kerby New Member

holy sweet baby jesus!
    That engine and wheels look awesome.

Very very nice work!!!!

6. derdummkopf67

derdummkopf67 New Member

So, its been over a month and a half that I dropped off my parts. They re-powder coated the parts and did another crappy job. All the parts are different shades of candy red. I'm really tired of all the BS. They can keep the $500 deposit, but I'm picking up my parts tomorrow. What do you guys think?

7. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Hell I would ask them for the $500 as well........:mad:
    I don't know how the hell they can mess up the Colour if they do them all at the same time:confused:
    Unless they did each of them as different time.

8. derdummkopf67

derdummkopf67 New Member

I started putting the bike together. I did this because my budget disappeared. So, I have to figure out how to finish this project quickly and without spending any more money. I need to lightly paint the radiators in black. I also need to salvage and repair the body. Luckily, I have all the parts except the custom fairings, brake lines, and a new seat cover. I still want steel braided brake lines. I might have to ask my brother for an early Christmas present. lol. I want to de-link the brakes to save some money on brake lines. Does anyone know of a de-linked line kit + Clutch?

Here is a link to the color scheme I might pursue: Photo by derdummkopf67 • Instagram

By the way, I already have all the paint I need.

9. derdummkopf67

derdummkopf67 New Member

I am a little pissed about the quality of the parts I received. Some bolts don't fit because the parts were not prepared correctly. All of the powder coating got inside the threads. So, I'm stripping bolts left and right. Some bolts just don't fit. I guess they didn't do them at the same time. The wheels and the frame are like a cherry candy red. Everything else is a bright candy apple red. I'm going to request a portion of the money back.

10. Badbilly

United States
    Having bolts powdercoated was something the powdercoater should have told you not to do. The millage on the threads can be as much as .005. Add this to the threaded bolt holes that were also powdercoated and what ya got is a bad fit . Wrenching on those bolts is gonna take off any powdercoat anyway. Powdercoating like paint needs to be primed. This if done ,adds another five mils+ to the parts and what looks like 500 bucks gone from your bank account.

Do these guys operate out of the back of a 49 Caddy?

11. derdummkopf67

derdummkopf67 New Member

SO, I've been at this stage for a little while. I'm out of fund. The well is bone dry. Its just been sitting collecting dust.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I do need help with delinking the brakes. How to I modify the caliper holder so that it will not move when braking? What do I need to buy?

12. Badbilly

United States
    Lots of controversy on linked brakes...

If you are oot of pesos. Sanding that fairing is a couple of bucks worth of sandpaper and free (slave) labor.

Lookin good..

Stockers suck..

13. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

You need an 8mm allen head bolt. See this pic;-
    [​IMG]

When you strip the secondary M/C you will find a circlip retaining a washer, followed by the spring/piston etc. get rid of all the parts bar the circlip & washer. Remove the existing bolt from the top fork mount & then you might need too turn the allen head down a little to fit inside the M/C, pass it through the washer & add 2 nyloc nuts to the thread. Put the washer back into M/C & lock in place with the circlip, now screw the top fork mount clevis on to the thread & adjust to the fork leg. Ensure both nyloc nuts are tight, job done.

The brake caliper can be modified as per this pic;-
    [​IMG]

Hope that helps & IIRC then if you use brake hoses direct from the M/C they need to be 680mm & 740mm it's in one of my threads on my rebuild. You will need another M/C if you do this, as the ratio changes, so I used a CBR600F4 one, but any 5/8th one will do, or a CBR929 which gives a stiffer lever, but has a seperate reservoir.

I just added these new discs & new EBC HH pads to my 929 calipers & they are brilliant now :)
    [​IMG]

14. Badbilly

United States
    What a nice guy for sending those parts all the way from UK to give a brother a brake.

15. derdummkopf67

derdummkopf67 New Member

Thank you for the help @Mohawk.

My friend recently crashed his Ninja 650 and he does not know how to work on bikes (Not even a little). I don't think he has ever lifted a screw driver. Well, the 650 has mostly cosmetic damage because his sliders saved vital components. I found a great parts bike for $380 on craigslist. I told him I would help him rebuild his bike if he let me have the front wheel, forks, brakes, triple tree, and controls from the bike. The ninja has ZX10R inverted forks and they are in great condition. They have clear steel braided brake lines too! Would it be problematic to install them on the VFR? What do I need? Also, how would I modify the rear brake to work? Thank you. I'm excited. Deconstruction begins tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An example of the forks. I think it will go great with the color scheme of the bike!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  16. derdummkopf67

derdummkopf67 New Member

So, I finally got around to painting the front rim to match the candy red of the bike. I'm still waiting for one steel braided brake line.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the gas tank before wet sanding and cutting and polishing.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  17. derdummkopf67

derdummkopf67 New Member

I was conducting some research on how to adapt the Zx10r forks onto the VFR. I figured my best bet was machining a new stem and pressing it into the zx10r lower triple. I volunteer at two youth football leagues when I'm not in school and one of the coaches so happens to be a machinist. Since I'm a volunteer, he said he would donate his services and materials to make the stem. The only thing I would need to do is get him blue prints of the part I want to make. So, does anyone happen to have a blue print or specs of the stem? It would help me out since I would have to alter the lengths and diameter of the part which would be pressed in. If this doesn't work out, what steps would I take to compose a blue print for this custom stem? He also wants to know what material to use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    boy that's a tough one. I'm basically just replying to bump your thread because I saw you were selling off parts to continue. Good luck.

19. derdummkopf67

derdummkopf67 New Member

Well, the machinist also volunteered to draw up the blueprints for a CNC mill. So, I will have them available for anyone that decides to swap ZX10r forks. I should have my custom stem by the end of the week. I'm really excited.

Due to my budget, I may have to sacrifice the aesthetic of the bike. My buddy has fairings and the headlight for an 07 ninja 650. I can always change it if it looks less that pleasing. I would just have to repair them. But, hey, they're free!

On another note, I'm looking into finishing the project by February. I have two volunteer opportunities lined up. One is with the Peace Corps and the other is with FEMA. I will be leaving February. I will be approximately two semesters shy of reaching my MA in History. The reason for doing this is because I feel it will expand my understanding of the world. If I choose the Peace Corps, I will be teaching English in South America. With FEMA, I will be working in response to natural disasters and aid (its more grunt work). I'm excited.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

20. derdummkopf67

derdummkopf67 New Member

I picked up a set of mystery racing fairings that need a lot of work (both fitment and body work.) I'm thinking of changing the paint scheme back to white. (I painted a few parts black pearl metallic) So, tomorrow will consist of a lot of cutting, sanding and filing. I'm going to install a single projector as a headlight. I just need a little bit of money. I'm so close to completion. Arg!