Purchasing my first VFR need advice

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by nicholas042416, May 30, 2017.

1. nicholas042416

nicholas042416 New Member

United States
    I'm looking to purchase a 5th gen. That being said I don't know the first thing about these bikes ( what to check out when I go etc...)

The first bike I put below just seems to cheap but maybe not?

https://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/6135182613.html

This one is cheaper probably because of miles. From what I've read the cooling issue could be one of many but ultimately can probably be remedied for less that a $100 regardless. The miles scare me, I ride about 10,000 a year, how long will this bike last. Can you find re build kits for them?

https://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/6112314880.html

Any advice would be ever so appreciated, thank you in advance.

Nick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. GreginDenver

GreginDenver New Member

United States
    Map
    Here's a rule to live by: People who don't want to do maintenance or refurbishment work or who cannot do maintenance or refurbishment work should not buy 20 year old motorcycles (or any other aging mechanical conveyance).

But of course there's always an exception to every rule: If you can't or won't do maintenance or refurbishment work but you have a friend/father/brother/whatever who will happily do it all for you or if you have a lot of money to throw at the needs of a 20 year old vehicle, then go ahead and buy that 20 year old motorcycle.

3. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    like Greg says, and it's more about common knowledge in what ever you buy in a bike. Now these 5th gens are pretty reliable, less the basic motorcycle stuff, chains, tires, fluids, battery's, that's the norm. The only real Achilles heal here with all VFRs is the voltage regular charging system, that and the connections, once those are bad and ignored the stator can not be far behind. But over all, that 34K one is a good deal at $1500, I'd for sure go take a look. Polish and clean is nice, but whats under its skin is key too.

4. Aimbot9000

Aimbot9000 New Member

United States
    Map
    I'd buy the first one and replace the map sensor (super easy its on the right rear of the air box under the gas tank) the paint may be salvageable if not rattle can and ride. Thats a great price.

5. GreginDenver

GreginDenver New Member

United States
    Map
    Further thought, just to clarify where my opinion comes from:

I guess one man's "Good enough, let's ride!" is another man's "No way am I gonna go racing down a highway at 80-90mph on a 20 year old bike when I know almost nothing about its mechanical condition".

Which is why I'm willing to do this:
    [​IMG]

cadtrev likes this.
  6. nicholas042416

United States
    I'm with you guys. I'm very mechanically inclined, I've been building cars since I was a kid so that's about 18 years of mechanical experience. Just wanted to know if these were fair prices. I'll take a look at the $1509 one

7. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
    I think it depends on what you're looking for or what you're planning to do with this bike. E.g. something to keep for a long time or something short term? How much more $ do you have in reserve, how much more $ are you willing to spend to fix it up? Do you care about ripped seats, rusty chains, missing hardware, parts, etc... ?

If you google search, you can find generic check off lists for buying used motorcycles. For 5th gen specific "problems" or owner experiences, search this forum and VFRDiscussion too. Based on what you're saying, I would suggest either bringing a mechanically inclined/knowledgeable 5th gen owner or mechanic with you to check out the bikes OR have the owner meet you at a dealership/shop that is very experienced with 5th gen VFRs and pay them to check it for you before you buy.

I'm kinda leery about both bikes you linked. The $1500 one, if the guy who is selling can't be bothered to even wash the bike before posting the ad, well... plus you're looking at some $ to fix the seat and replace some missing hardware/parts (unless you don't care about that kind of stuff), dunno how long the chain/sprockets are gonna be good for... The $1800 one definitely looks like it's been better cared for But there might be some electrical and/or cooling gremlins to worry about (if it's so easy to fix, why wasn't it done already, before selling?)...

8. nicholas042416

United States
    My thoughts exactly. Who puts new plugs, new battery, NEW THROTTLE BODIES? and doesn't replace a airflow sensor!?!?

9. ksoholm

ksoholm New Member

United States
    Spend $3K and find a much nicer machine than either. The first sat in a field somewhere for a long time; it sat with the front wheel submerged in mud/water. Not a well-loved machine.

$3K buys you a really nice one; do that instead. That $1200 can be blown in a minute on deferred maintenance.

desmoryder likes this.
  10. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    He has a point, But? Yea never know.

11. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

A person that couldn't troubleshoot the reason the bike stopped running right in the first place.

12. nicholas042416

United States
    Well, I actually bought he $1800 bike. I went to check it out and it was literally immaculate! The guy was very genuine and an older male so I figured it was worth a shot. He was clearly attached to the bike so I'm sure he did his best to take care of it. I'm gonna go through the cooling system (flush, burp, thermostat, check fans). Quick question, I keep seeing people say to stop paying attention to water temp and watch air temp. Can someone please explain this to me?

cadtrev likes this.
  13. nicholas042416

United States
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Better pics coming later

14. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Bikes are some different than cars. IMO with your experience the differences can be ironed out with not too much trouble.

The bike you bought looks pristine. Get yourself a service manual and have fun.

Not a clue on the coolant tem/air temp. I lived in Houston for many years and 95 and 95 still holds true.

Go Coogs and Owls..

15. GreginDenver

GreginDenver New Member

United States
    Map
    That's a bit of a strange look on that VFR, solo cowl installed on it with pillion handles at the same time. I didn't know that was possible.

I'm pretty sure that my solo cowl can't fit on the VFR if the pillion handles are still installed. Is that a modification?

And I can't imagine there's any added functionality with having the handles installed along with the solo cowl. If you're out somewhere and find a hottie who you want to bring along do you just decide to leave the solo cowl behind?

16. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Looking good, you did right by the sounds of it. getting a read on how the owner acts is another clue, so yea you did ok. Now as far as the temp issue? what issue? IMO I think to many over think this. yes in slow traffic it gets a bit warmer. maybe in Texas its a great concern, I haven't come across this so much, does it get hot? sure does or it can, the book has it it can handle 230. Where you live, I'd expect it to hover in the 210 range when in town, out on the open road probably in the 190s. We had the weather here in the high 90s and never saw it over 207 when out riding, just makes sure you here the fan come on. but that's all relative to your air temps too, you can redo the radiator fluid just to make sure all is good there too. I'd ride it and have fun first. ;) congrats

17. nicholas042416

United States
    Badbilly I live in Houston too, up around Spring. As for the cowl the previous owner was to lazy to take the handles off so he cut a half moon in the cowl and now you see the result. Not bad looking, just different. I'll probably take them off anyway. Also came with Saddle bags (soft) and a tank bag.

18. nicholas042416

United States
    Don't forget ASTROS!!! Where is the best place to pick up a manual? Also anyone recommend a certain oil?

19. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
  20. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    Your bike looks great! And for only $1,800? Nice! Grab rails on with cowl is not that uncommon for 8th gens - see my avatar pic and this poll I did where it was the 2nd most popular arrangement - it has its benefits.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/51826-Is-your-8th-gen-rear-seat-cowl-on-or-off