question regarding rear rack

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by ryeguy02, May 23, 2008.

1. ryeguy02

ryeguy02 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Hey guys,
    Yesterday I received my OEM luggage from David Silver Spares. Seeing as where I had the day off and I anxiously wanted to see what they looked like on my bike, I started the rack installation process. The instructions consisted mainly of pictures with unclear instructions. I slowly was able to mount the pannier stays without any difficulty. When it came to the rear rack the mounting bracket was pretty straight forward but once I got to the plastic seat that the trunk locked on to I noticed a big bag of bolts that weren't described in the instructions. I pieced it together and it appeared to be correct. It consisted of many busihings and nylon washers. Once secured, I did however note that the rear rack could slide about a 1/4" inch left or right. The holes were slotted to allow for the play. My question is that the correct installation and is the rack supposed to move like that? I mean why would the holes be slotted if that wasn't the case. I guess I'm just not sure what the reason would be for the side to side play. If anyone else has this setup some reassurance in my installation process would be greatly appreciated.

RyeGuy

2. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    You should not have any play once the rack is secured. Seems like something is not tighten down good enough or spacers are needed somewhere to compensate . You have a pic of the problem area?

3. 599hondaman

599hondaman New Member

I've just assembled the OEM luggage rack for my VFR VTEC and found exactly the same side play that you mention. I agree that the "instructions" are hopeless, but having taken the whole contraption apart and rebuilt it (the carrier, not the bike) I can only assume that there's supposed to be some degree of play side-to-side. Why else would the bushes that contact the slots be made of nylon? And why are there slots and not holes in the mounting plate? Perhaps if we ride with our top cases full of luggage the slight movement of the case when we're "pressing on" could aid our cornering style? Does anyone else with the OEM VTEC rear rack have any thoughts on this?

4. wkenneth1

wkenneth1 New Member

My OEM rack doesnt move AT ALL. I can shake my motorcycle with it and nothing moves. Its a gen 6 also. If you can post a pic of your problem area, I'll take a pic of that area on mine and post it.

5. 599hondaman

599hondaman New Member

Thanks for your offer to help! Here (attached) are two photos... one showing all the bushes and spacers assembled EXACTLY as detailed in the "instructions" (see below), while the other shows the diagram in the "instruction" booklet. I could, of course, just pack the collars so as to clamp the nylon collars and washers tightly onto the carrier bracket, but why are there slots and not just holes in the mounting plate? It's as if the four mounting points are supposed to move slightly from side-to-side. The order that I've assembled the parts (from top to bottom) is as follows: (2) socket bolt (6mm), (3) metal washer, (11) collar, (4) metal collar, (5) nylon collar, (6) nylon washer, (7) rubber washer, (8) metal washer, (9) 6mm nut. Any ideas? Regards, Art

Attached Files: