RAM Tank Mount for Garmin Nuvi

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Britt, Sep 22, 2008.

Tags:
  1. DAC

DAC New Member

United States
    Map
    I have the same question. This looks like a good solution and I'm ready to pull the trigger on a Ram mount but I have a 6th gen VFR.

2. VifferDude

VifferDude New Member

I've got the exact same set up for a Nuvi 760 on my 6th Gen. Only I bought slightly longer tank bolts for piece of mind.

3. orion3814

orion3814 New Member

very niceee

4. blackjack_mike

blackjack_mike New Member

Map
    Did the same mount on my 99. Installed a cigarette lighter socket on the left side of the dash and have a coil cord to power my GPS.

Britt, curious to know what the Hi/Low/Off switch is for on the left side of you windscreen that shows in your first picture. (not wanting to hijack the thread, just curious)

5. DAC

DAC New Member

United States
    Map
    Put this mount on my 03 - works great. To amplify the earlier comments, the finish was a bit rough and I had to dremel the base out slightly to spread the opening wide enough for the bolts to fit correctly.

Thanks everyone for the useful posts!

6. joshbea6

joshbea6 New Member

United States
    Map
    OK, pardon the NOOB question here on the GPS for the Motorcycle, but do you HAVE to buy a motorcycle specific GPS, or can you use ANY GPS and just get a good mount for it?

7. DAC

DAC New Member

United States
    Map
    Don't know a lot about this. My wife bought me a garden variety Garmin Nuvi 1300 which I totally did not expect. From what I can tell, to set it up, you buy the mounting arm as indicated above and a mount cradle specific to your GPS. I see stuff about moto specific GPS that cost about 2 to 4 times the regular kind but they offer higher levels of waterproof and shock resistance. If I did cross-country stuff, I might've gone that route. As it is, all I need is help finding my way around rural Ohio/WV.

I'm also planning on running battery power. I will only probably turn the thing on during complex parts. If this doesn't work, I have seen here and elsewhere some tips for running power to the thing.

Good luck.

8. AndyJ

AndyJ New Member

No need for bike-specific GPS. Like you said, just find a good way to mount whatever you have. RAM seems to have one for everything- I have the same RAM mount on my bike, but my GPS is an airplane handheld that also has a street mode. It's not waterproof, but I put a big ziploc bag in my tankbag.

9. VifferDude

VifferDude New Member

Running on internal batteries is ok for a while. But you'll find that eventually over time (12 months for me) that the internal battery wont hold a charge. ATM mine will last 1 hour at best. It used to last 4. I'd recommend buying a 5 pin B USB cable to power it through the USB port. And lug the other end into a cigarette lighter with a USB outlet. If you do this, it's very important that you get a 1 amp cigarette adapter, as most USB adaptors only put out 500ma and the GPS will go into computer transfer/charge mode. It needs 1 amp to actually run of the USB.

10. DAC

DAC New Member

United States
    Map