Re-gearing bike review

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by herbvfr705f, Jul 7, 2008.

1. herbvfr705f

herbvfr705f New Member

So i recently just regeared my bike wit ha new sprocket in the front. The stock gearing on the bike is a 16t in the front and a 43t in the rea with a ratio of 2.68. to get that ratio you divide the front tooth count to the rear tooth count so you divide 43divided by 16. So I installed a 14 tooth in the front now giving me a 14t in the front and a 43t in the rear with a ratio of 3.07. Now the installation was really easy. You remove the 5 bolts which are 8mm sockets from the cover where your sprocket is. Now you have to remoce the clutch master cylinder from this cover as well just make sure that you do not pull the pin out. I dont know why but i was told not too. Anyways you then get a 17 or 18mm socket and put the bike in gear and remove the bolt holding the procket in. Now to install you just reverse what you did. Just make sure you do not over tighten the bolts. i made the mistake and stripped out one of the bolts. Then you will need to re-adjust your chain to accomodate for the smaller sprocket. Now with taking it down 2 teeth in the front it is the same as adding 6 teeth in the rear. every tooth dropped in the front is like adding 3 in the rear(please correct me if i am wrong) Now as for performance the bike takes off like a rocket. you loose your top speed but gain acceleration. Also the bike is alot more responsive and i can now power wheelie the bike like no other. I am happy with the gearing and will keep it this way for awhile. if you have any questions please ask. i am happy to help

2. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    You forgot to mention that it decreases your mpg too. But yeah, it will accelerate like a long tail cat on speed in a room full of rocking chairs.