Rearsets for Track Days

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Rocker1500, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Rocker1500

Rocker1500 New Member

Unknown
    Since I can't find a good set of 5th gen rear sets (I need them for track days) I think I either need to make my own or get by with something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261900183456?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Anyone tried these rearsets on their 5th Gen? Looks like they just bolt up to where the current pegs are hinged. Interested to hear opinions, looks like these could rotate around on you. I keep scraping my pegs even leaning all the way off, so I need to re-locate them somehow.

10989311_10207244083689370_6520125357172315946_o.jpg 11334218_10207034599932407_4986696110010424147_o.jpg

2. mark641

mark641 New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Hi Rocker, IMHO these look cheap and nasty. Made and supplied from Hong Kong...can you that?...yes alarm bells my friend! lol

Seriously though, the VFR was never designed to have track/race rearsets fitted, look at the stock mountings ie the swing arm pivot/axle goes through them so you couldn't find anything to replace them. If you graft something on you will have to extend the gear lever and on the brake side configure a pivot for the brake arm and mount for the master. One of the master mounting screws goes through the heat shield.

If you get more toe clearance you'll only end up dragging a more substantial part of the bikes undercarriage that may well spit you off, so leave the VFR on the street and buy a CBR600 F Sport or something for your track antics.

Nice photos though!

Mark

3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Although it could get a little pricey, you can use 6 Gen rear sets but you have to replace a few components on the 5 Gen to do so. I was planning on going this route as there are a few rear sets available for the 6 Gen and from what I gather it doesn't take much to make the change on the 5 Gen. You need to replace the lower swing arm pivot mount, pivot bolt and spacers. Then the 6 Gen rear sets bolt right up. Note that I have not done this yet and I got this info from a fellow VFR member over at VFRDiscussion.

Here's the main component you'll need to change. This component is where the rear sets attach to.

[​IMG]

4. mark641

mark641 New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    How much will you gain for all that work? For me the VFR doesn't make a convincing track bike. Like forcing it to do something it shouldn't ...well to any great degree anyways.

Don't wanna piss on your parade...just my observations is all.

5. OOTV

OOTV Insider

As you said, "For you" it doesn't make a convincing track bike, but the purpose of going to the track, vice riding on the streets, at least for me, is to ride in a much safer environment and a place to improve your skills. Why not use a bike that you enjoy riding and appreciate? For that matter a bike that when you do take to the street, you'll be that much more familiar with? I've seen riders taking their Gold Wings onto the track and rip it up quite well actually, so if these guys can take a purely touring oriented motorcycle and having fun, why not take the VFR, a true "all arounder" that does a lot of things well!

Now if you are planning on "racing" then I would agree that the VFR might not be the best bike to start with, it's a bit over weight and under powered compared to the current and even less current pure sport bike offerings.

I couldn't find the video with the two GWs on the track but I did find this one...

[video=youtube;2cF4Aftjxj4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cF4Aftjxj4[/video]

6. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

There is always going to be a segment of the VFR crowd that can't figure out why people do what they do to their machines to make them more supersport oriented than touring oriented. It doesn't mean it can't be done. Basically, can't means won't.

7. mark641

mark641 New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Fair point, well presented! I totally get the case for getting to really know your bike in the confines of a circuit. Makes perfect sense and I've certainly done so in the past. I was just saying that there is a limitation and that if you try to push too hard there is a real chance of coming to grief.
    Goldwings...mmm yep, I saw a guy wheelie one and couldn't decide absolute lunacy or absolute skill...Impressive though.

8. mark641

mark641 New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

See I get it!

9. TheYakkis

TheYakkis New Member

This isn't the place for this, but I'll circle back to the topic.

I just picked up a '98 VFR CHEAP and I love it !!!! Previously I was on a 900rr and it was amazing as well. I've been through a '94 CBR 600f2 (retired from track racing.....the bike,not me) , a '97 Suzuki Katana (that ended up with a VERY aggressive steering geometry. It was great. ) , a 2003 CBR 600rr and finally the '98 900rr. The only one I didn't like was the '03 CBR. At 6'3" I was way to crunched up on it. I deserve it as my buddy who was the same size as me had the same bike. I never rode it but I always said he looked like a circus bear on a tricycle. Funny enough, I felt the same way on mine. Live and learn. I'm glad to be here.

AAAAaaaannnnd back to the topic at hand.

The VFR I nabbed has some mix-matched, floppy-@$$ foot pegs on it. The owner stated on Craigslist that it had "custom" pegs. He should've said, " I pulled these off of a Harley in a junk yard and used a side grinder to make them fit and I did a horrible job." Because that is the factual account of what he did. So I'm headed to the machine shop sometime in the next few weeks to make some pegs. They won't be pretty, but they will be solid and an inch or two higher than the stock pegs. I'm not sure yet. Maybe someone can chime in. ( Keep in mind that I know the VFR is a touring bike. So don't chime in negative. I'll drag my knee on every corner all the way to your house. Haha ! ) My plan is simply to cut a block that attaches where the current peg is and point it toward the passenger seat. Then just drill and tap a hole and screw some pegs into the block. Interested ?

Side note: Let the record show that TheYakkis has never "drug a knee" unless he and the bike
    separated..........BUT I'M CLOSE !!!!

EDIT: I just took a look at the "cheap and nasty" link. I think what I'm going to do will be "pricey and hideous" Lol. But that's almost exactly what I had in my mind.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015