Recent Acquisitions (MX)

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by stewartj239, Nov 24, 2012.

1. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    For the last few months, I was looking for a good clean used CRF250R (FI model) and was having trouble finding anything in the condition I wanted. I was originally looking for new, but the best deal I could get around here was $6700 plus tax. Then last month, this one popped up on CycleTrader. It is a new 2012 for $4999. Out the door, it only cost me $5322. I had to drive to PA to get it, but it was a no brainer.

2012 CRF250R.jpg

Prior to that, I picked up this low hour 2007 back in July. It only had about 10 hours on it and I paid $3000. I rode it the remainder of the summer and my 14 year old is big enough now so he will graduate from his 150 to this bike next year.

2007 CRF250R.jpg

I've ridden dirt bikes most of my life and raced the 125 Amateur class for many years during the 80's and 90's. I've recently rejoined a local MX club and had the chance to ride some friends 450 and 250 bikes. These new 4-stroke bikes are absolutely amazing. I settled on the 250 because I can turn a quicker lap time and just feel more comfortable on them than the 450. Besides, they put out nearly 40 HP which is more than enough motor for an MX track.

2. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    Congrats on the mx bike. I enjoy woods riding and miss it so much. But finances and time are hard to come by right now so it will have to wait. But it's a great feeling to play like a kid in the dirt and not worry about a ticket for twisting the throttle. Enjoy

3. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    It is expensive doing both street and dirt. Due to time and money, if I ever had choose between the two, I'd take the dirt. I love the VFR, but it is not nearly as much fun as riding off road.

4. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    I know what you mean dirt riding is just good old play. Where street riding is more of relaxation. For me anyways. But for me right now with a two year old little girl time is kinda hard to come by. So to be able to just gear up and ride for a couple hours is a lot easier than loading the trailer and truck and heading out for most of the day. I figure in a couple more years when I can get her and mommybboth to go out dirt riding with me I will get back into it. But you are right if I could only choose one form of riding it would most definitely be dirt. No cars, no speeding tickets and just a lot more fun. Enjoy it. Is it true that the new fuel injected four strokes start real easy?

5. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    That is what I did. I took 5 years off from the dirt after my first kid was born. When he turned 5, we bought him a CRF50 and I picked up an XR650R. Since then he has moved from the 50 to a 70, then a 100 and is now on a 150. This past summer, my wife spent some time learning to ride the 100 so that was pretty cool.

Mine is new so yes, it starts real easy. However the '07 has a carb on it and it starts on the 1st or 2nd kick. With the 4-strokes, they get harder to start once the valves start getting out of spec. It's a sure sign that you need to adjust them. As far as starting them when they're hot, that is where the 2-strokes are much better. They do have a hot start lever that I've only used a couple of times, but overall, then 2-strokes are king when it comes to starting. In every other category, the 4-strokes rule.