Recomend me a Digital SLR Camera

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by tris1948, Sep 2, 2010.

1. tris1948

tris1948 New Member

Map
    Well I'm the big 50 in October and am getting the inquisition as to what present I want. I originally came up with a watch but since I'd only use it once a quarter at best (I don't wear one normally) I've gone off that idea a bit.

What digital SLR cameras would you guys recomend in the upto £1000 ($1500) bracket

Cheers

MODS
    I'f I've put this in the wrong place - sorry and please move

2. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Ford, Chevy, Chrysler......

They all make good products. Personally, I have a Nikon D60 and I'm very happy with it. I've had it for two years and haven't hit the ceiling on what it is capable of. The 60 is kind of considered their 'entry' level to DSLRs. You could probably get yourself a D90 or maybe even a D3000. Or a D60 with a variety of lenses. The lense variety is where you'll get the lasting fun from so don't blow your whole wad on the DSLR body and be stuck with one standard lense.

My .02

3. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
  4. barleymashers

barleymashers New Member

United States
    Map
    I have the Canon Rebel, and it has been a great Camera. It was even better after I got some new glass versus the standard package lens. So I agree with tinkerinWStuff, you might want to look at an entry level camera and get a bunch of different lenses to go with it. The base cameras from Nikon/Canon/Olympus etc are more than enough for your average person. After a while if you do learn more, you can upgrade just the body and keep all the lenses.

5. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    ^^ right on

Besides that, you want to budget for a good circular polarizer for your every day lense, a UV filter for any lense that you'd take outdoors and shoot with, a speed light or hotshoe, possibly a remote control shutter release, a quality bag to fit your shit.

All doable in your price range if you don't go overboard on the body. And like beerboy said above, all transferable if you upgrade bodies later on. :thumbsup:

6. woody77

woody77 New Member

United States
    Map
    I'll further the nikon recommendations. Start with a good body, but don't blow the budget on it. The quality of the photos comes from:

- you
    - lense
    - camera film or sensor

Good glass makes a huge difference, especially in poorer lighting conditions (lower numerically aperatures are larger to allow more light in, but are more expensive). My best lenses are f2, most "kit" lenses are f4-f5.6 depending on the zoom. f2 is 4x or 8x the light (and therefore shutterspeed), which gives you less blur from shaking the camera in low light.

And just like with a bike, you matter the most. So pick up a couple books and set out to spend some time on basic skills, and it will really pay off.

7. Singer732

Singer732 New Member

United States
    Map
    +1 to Woody, you are the controlling factor in good photos.
    That being said I will recommend the Nikon series I have a D-80 and a D-90 the real difference being the D-90 has video capabilities nice for short video work like Motorcycle or airplane passes. You can spend far more on lenses than the camera body. I shopped a round and found a deal on a kit with the body and two lenses for $950.00 US. One other factor to consider is what memory device the camera uses. The Nikons use SD cards and so does my Palm pilot so that was a plus in my decision.
    You kind of need to decide what you want to take photos of before spending a lot of money on lenses.
    A good quality flash is also great for indoor work. A lightweight tripod (not cheap/flimsy, just light ) is great if you want to be in the pictures and for setup photos.
    And last a good book on basic photography or maybe the book should be first.

Dave :cool:

8. Spectre

Spectre New Member

Canon EOS 1000D (Rebel XS version), $500.00. The kit lens sucks, though. I would suggest replacing it with something like the Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (Image Stabilizer) USM (Ultrasonic Motor) lens, $800.00. This lens is a bit bulky and heavy (20.3oz) but it is a very nice piece of glass, and it's a good all-around lens within its zoom range. Unfortunately, this lens doesn't include a lens hood (Canon EW-78E), which is a must, in my opinion. It can be purchased as an accessory, for $40.00.

Also, if you decide to purchase a more expensive lens such as the one I've mentioned, it's often a good idea to protect the front of the lens (72mm in this case) with an inexpensive UV-Haze filter such as those offered by Hoya or Tiffen.

If you get the bug and soon wish to go beyond the very limited capabilities of the camera's pop-up flash, I would recommend the Canon 430EX Speedlite external hot-shoe flash, whose flash-head can be tilted and swiveled, plus it offers a number of useful Custom Function options that go way beyond the camera's pop-up flash. $280.00.

Other suggestions...

* Camera bags: Those made by LowePro, such as their Stealth Reporter series. When choosing a bag, it's often wise to go with one that is larger than what you think you will initially need, because if you get the bug, your kit will quickly grow and you will need more space.

* Spare batteries: Increasingly, many digital SLR cameras (and even some point-and-shoot cameras such as Canon's G11) do not run on, nor accept AA batteries. Rather, they often require a very specific lithium-ion battery pack/cartridge and recharger, so when you purchase your camera it's a good idea to also purchase at least one back-up battery pack. Batteries will quickly drain in cold weather, so keep your spare and fully charged battery next to your body when you''re shooting in cold weather.

* SDHC memory cards: 8-16 GB is good, and like batteries, carry a spare card or two, just in case.

* Microfiber lens cloths and lens cleaner: Get in the habit of regularly inspecting and correctly cleaning your lenses.

* Post-exposure viewing and editing of digital photos: I prefer Photoshop Elements for Macs. (If you end up getting serious about digital photography, get thee a Mac, because you will never go back.) Also, always back-up your work, which ideally requires an external hard drive. In addition, I would recommend signing up for an online service such as Drop Box if you want to easily synchronize your photos between a desktop and a laptop, as well as having a further back-up in case of any computer crashes.

* In-camera file size: Unless you really know what you're doing, avoid setting your camera to either RAW, or RAW + JPEG. instead, choose the largest JPEG setting that your computer can easily handle, and after you edit your favorite images in a program such as Photoshop Elements, tell the program to save them as "TIFF's", as well as creating an "image pyramid".

* If your chosen digital photography program (e.g., Photoshop Elements) asks you if you would like to erase the photo files on your camera's memory card once they've been downloaded, click NO.

9. Devilstoy

Devilstoy New Member

Hiya I agree with the other guys start with a good body I use a sony A230 but I've spent extra on lenses, would recommend a 75-300mm lense and a 2x convertor turning into 150-600mm. A good picture comes from you.

10. tris1948

tris1948 New Member

Map
    Thanks All - much appreciated.

The new Sony Alpha 33 took my eye.

BUT, I've been doing some reading over the weekend and find that the Sony Alpha range of camers will take Minolta lenses. NOW in the dim and distant past I bought a Minolta X300 so maybe the lenses will still be compatible.

Based on that Sony could the way to go and I'll go and track one down and see if I like it

Any one else used a Sony Camera?

Thanks again

11. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    An older lense could very well have the same mount and still fit, but it won't have image stabilization or autofocus. I use autofocus and manual focus depending on what I'm doing. Having an old lense is a good consideration, make sure that if you stick with that format, you have a good selection of newer lenses. I believe Canon and Nikon probably have the widest selection of available lenses.

12. tris1948

tris1948 New Member

Map
    Update and a change of direction - a bit :)

1) Sony A33/A55 are'nt on sale yet and I think I'll let somebody else prove out the new trechnology before me.

2) Tried a Sony A something or other and it didn't gel for some reason or another.

3) Tried a Canon 500D (AKA Digital Rebel T1i) with the kit lens (18-55) and with a Tamron 18-200 lens which I liked.

4) The lenses on my old Minolta X300 wont fit the new cameras

Canon here I come??

13. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    probably not a bad choice. All I can say is, if you've tried those, you should at least try the Nikon too.

14. hoosier1104

hoosier1104 New Member

I will recommend Nikon as well. I have had my D40 for about 2 yrs now and absolutely love it. If my memory serves me correctly, you can use any Nikon lens on a SLR body (please correct me if I am wrong). I have family members always wanting to barrow my camera for their special events. Either route you go, I will bet you will enjoy it.

Justin

15. tris1948

tris1948 New Member

Map

Will do!

Chap at work has one and has offerd to bring it in for me to have a go with!

16. grandpanot

grandpanot New Member

Cannon EOS T2i. Very Nice

17. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
  18. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    I also went with the Canon Rebel. Most of the pics that I have taken were with it. Does great, lost of features, and haven't figured it all out yet. Had it for a few years with no issues.

19. tris1948

tris1948 New Member

Map
    DECISION MADE

I went for the Canon 500D (Rebel) with a Tamron 18-200 zoom lens.

I got it with an 8Gb card thrown in for £650

Thaniks for your guidance :biggrin:

20. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Have to say it....
    :worthless: