Refilling the coolant

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by warewolf, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

Lol, just stay here, it's warm and cozy, as long as you don't get on Billy's bad side:crazy:
    John

2. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    I personally don't think pulling the drain screw on the front cyl is needed. Too many people have trouble after doing that. Just the one on the water pump. I have done two maybe three changes and not had this issue. I do run the system with an open rad fill cap and a full burp (over flow) tank, get to op temp, let cool top off and I get most of the required fill backing the system. If you get air in and it's not too too much it will burp out the tank.

3. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Coolant level should be checked/topped up routinely under the rad cap after the first 20 mile or so ride (after cooling down) whenever coolant system has been drained. Just as they say. Seems like it's never filled on the first fill.

4. kennybobby

kennybobby New Member

United States
    Heart of Dixie Georgia Boys mighta been usin' dat
    Map
    My Honda Service Manual for the 3rd and 4th gen VFR750F, (p/n 61MT404), indicates coolant capacity is 2.3 liters with overflow tank of 0.3 l, not sure where you got the 3.6 --what books were you using?

It's full.

5. warewolf

warewolf New Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Awesome! Thank you.

I was using the handbook that came with the bike. And yes, the service manual does say 2.3 + 0.3 L. It seems every time I went to cross-reference the data in the service manual I was distracted, and only ever checked the handbook.

6. warewolf

warewolf New Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I think it's worth it, just be prepared to do it properly (I also need to check the torque value). Quite a bit of coolant came out of the front cylinders so it traps quite a bit in there.

7. Yvesandlow

Yvesandlow New Member

Hi guys i find this post interesting since i flushed all my system while i m restoring a 1990 VFR i just bought. What do you mean with :eek:pen rad fill cap ``full burp (overflow)``?
    Im french canadian so my english is not that strong.

And what type of coolant do i use? It seems its regular green coolant when i flushed it .
    Thanks!

Yves

8. kennybobby

kennybobby New Member

United States
    Heart of Dixie Georgia Boys mighta been usin' dat
    Map
    My french ain't so good either--s'il vous plait.

After refilling the system you can run the engine to circulate the coolant and push out any trapped air in passages or hoses. One way to do that is to let it idle with the radiator cap off then you can see the fluid level drop as the air is expelled (burped) and add more fluid to fill it completely.

Another way is to fill the radiator and install the cap, and fill the overflow tank, then go for a ride to heat up the engine--then take it home and let it cool. As it cools the fluid in the overflow tank will be pulled up into the system to fill it completely.

Any automotive coolant that is made to work with aluminum engines should work okay, green is fairly standard.

9. dgp

dgp New Member

Australia
    Map
    Hi all, I can’t find a specification for the coolant anywhere. I just picked up a 1995 Gen 4 and want to do the usual fluid changes. Can anyone please suggest the correct coolant fir me?

10. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I would use Prestone 50/50, Honda sells coolant too. Not much to it, make sure your radiator cap gasket looks good and there is no leaking around the neck of the radiator when your in there. Water pump has a drain bolt, if you can get a new crush washer, if not, not the end of the world. Oh, your an Aussie, don't know if they have Prestone in your country.