Report Bugs Here

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by michael, Dec 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    If your browser is set to remember your name and password, and you have cahnged to that format then it will stay that way, otherwise VFRWorld is defaulted to dark as that was the most popular choice and one of the distinguishing attributes to VFRworld. If we change the default to light, then everyone else would get a light screen, and we had many, many more requests to go back to dark when we upgraded the software...

2. PorscheBob

PorscheBob New Member

United States
    Map
    Black & White

Okay, I get it now. It's kind of like my '98 has black wheels as "default" items, even though I really wish they were white :frown:

3. PONYBOY

PONYBOY New Member

I seem to keep getting booted out of the site and then have to log in again, reeeeeealy frequently. It's not a big deal except for when I've been putting a reply post together for 15 minutes and when I try to post it it tells me I can't do that and need to log in. And then I get to redo that post :doh:. This only seems to have started happening in the last few weeks with the new revision of the site. Help, what is I doing wrong?

4. elwray

elwray New Member

United States
    Map
    You getting kicked off before you can post is not a bug .... it's a feature for the rest of us ;)

5. PONYBOY

PONYBOY New Member

:pout::pout::pout:...............nobody here love's me anymore. I'm gonna change my name to BB Jr........................

6. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    ME too.

I'm having much slower page loading and some random anomalies since the recent home page redesign..........

All my other bikesites process faster than VFRW it seems, but my computer's not exactly new.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  7. PONYBOY

PONYBOY New Member

I'm having the same problem, but I didn't wanna bitch too much.........

8. michael

michael Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Might want to check your browser cookie settings. Although VFRworld through a "redesign" of colors and such, there were no changes to things like login, etc. Also make sure when you login you check the box "Remember Me".

9. michael

United States
    Map
    VFRworld speed has been optimized as much as possible, so no other changes I can make to make it load faster, especially for slow computers. Two suggestions for you:

1. I would try VFRworld Light. I don't know that it will load faster, but it's possible.
    2. You could consider becoming a VFRworld Insider. The benefit of this from a speed perspective is that there is no advertising, so you don't have to wait for that to load on the page. It's only a $20 a year, so might be worth it just for the speed alone.

Cheers,
    Michael

10. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    <<<<<<<>>>>>>>

Thanks for reply. i know you're doing the best you can and that i need a better computer.

11. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I think you need to change your setting to 'stay logged in'. I'll look around and see if I can find the setting or if it's set on my end. It might be a built-in timer that keeps things running as when you are editing a post, the site sends you the editor page and you are typing and until you submit or some other action that sends info to VFRworld, you are not technically online with vfrworld. It's one of the ways that keeps the bandwidth from being constantly clogged. Just think of it like a phonecall and if the other party had to stay online while you typed up your message, well then it would block the line for other callers. One thing you can do that I have had to do in the past is save the post or click submit new message, then edit the post. Those are the easy ways, but I'll still check around and see if I can find an option for you besides typing faster... ;)

OUCH! ;)

12. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah, PB, it's what michael said, "remember Me" not "stay logged in"...

13. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    yeah, I think we are slightly slower that many other sites. as micheal mentioned, you can try a couple things, but given the "slick" factor, we may just always seem a bit slower esp to someone on dialup. Even high speed internet users who don't log in often will notice it as every time you click in a thread and there are new images to load, each image slows it down a bit. I think you can actually change to where images don't auto-load in your browser but things would look pretty weird. I am using vfrw light right now and it doesn't seem any faster than dark, but you can try it and see... you can also investigate your browser settings. we seem to do better with firefox, but we have users of all different browsers.

14. shorawitz

shorawitz New Member

Map
    My access at work is Gb+ to the net. We do a lot of work w/studios in/out so content is quite large. I noticed I can't traceroute to the site, but I can ping it. Ping times are sub 4ms (quite good!) But I do experience quite a few issues w/refreshes of the chat window and "Top 10 Stats" error'ing out/not displaying. I do think this is a pretty sophisticated site and does require some horsepower of the server side. In addition, it's NOT like it isn't a popular site too!

For what I get though, I'm willing to put up w/the little things!

15. PONYBOY

PONYBOY New Member

I absolutely agree with the last few posts, I am very VERY happy with this site and the people on it as a whole, which is why I didn't wanna start bitchin about free (I really need to nut up and become an Insider, I know, I'm sorry).

Both the machines I normally use are set to automatically clear cookies, temp files, etc upon closing of IE and I also make sure to manually clear all that garbage before I shut down the machine for the day. I hadn't experienced any real bugs with the site before aside from the occasional burp and I let it go for a while thinking it was just another burp or somebody was working on it without having to take it down completely. I don't THINK I've changed any of my settings from previous and it only seemed to start acting up after the latest "facelift" on the site, but I belive you fellers when you say that it was only an appearance change and nothing more, so, help. What should my cookies be set as, do I need to just ditch IE (it's allways worked fine in the past).

Thanks for the assistance fellers, except elwray, you suck :brick:

J/K Wray

16. michael

United States
    Map
    If you go to Settings -> General Settings -> Thread Display Options, you can actually turn off Show Signatures, Show Avatars, and Show Images. It would speed up the page loads a bit, but I agree it would look weird. But if you're on a really slow connection, or a mobile device, it might be worth a try.

17. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    thars a good idea for mobile devices for sure... some of the sigs and avatars take of a fair bit o space...

18. kbyte255

kbyte255 New Member

New guy here and I had an issue logging in.

Over the last couple of days I have tried to log in using the text boxes at the top of the page. Doing so results in my actual password being displayed, as opposed to asterics, and message indicating I had used the wrong password.

Today I used the login box located on the left, just below the main navigation bar. Here, my password was masked, as it should be, and I was subsequently logged in.

I have done a couple of forum searches to see if anyone else has had this problem, but with no results showing up.

Nice site, by the way!
    kevin

19. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    you may have discovered a new one... I have mine set to log in auto for me once I have logged in to my computer. I'll try and log in with a test and see if I can duplicate it. This is the first I have heard of it, though.

20. Africord

Africord New Member

United States
    Map
    I usually pull up VFRWorld pages from my RSS reader and then sign in. The first sign in does not hide my password, and then fails on enter On the error message screen, I enter the same ID and password and get signed in. I'm using Firefox 3.6.8 on Windows XP. What's going on? This only started in the last week or so.