Riding suit

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by RobVG, Sep 25, 2014.

1. JimGregory

JimGregory New Member

I am a bit under 5'10". 33" waist. 44" chest. 30" inseam. 185 lbs give or take a few. I got an XL short. The suit inseam is perfect. The torso could be just a touch longer but it's OK as is. The arm length is perfect. Forearms are a little snug but should be OK as long as I only add a thin layer. I have Popeye forearms but they are shrinking fast as I get older. Most likely will never add anything underneath anyway.
    I'm no adventure rider or tourer. I just commute to work and home. Bout 30 minutes one way if I take the scenic route. And weekend rides for the day but that will taper off as my girl (pillion) doesnt care much for the cold. Less fun without her and I don't have any riding buddies really.
    I also have a 92 airhead BMW R100RS. The fairing on that bike is SO warm in the winter I don't need a suit but it does help and I want the armor. The VFR I definately need a suit. And the VFR is more fun!
    If your needs are light like mine I would be OK recommending this suit. If I were a serious distance rider I would not rely on this suit. Unless you were wearing it on your way to pick up an aerostich.
    This suit is new and stiff. It should get better in that regard with age. Seems well built enough. I'm still annoyed I couldnt get the Hvis though.
    I wonder if anyone sells Hi Vis sticky back..bet someone does.

2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I like the 3M reflective on the back of that one. That suit is not available in Canada I see.

3. jorgescar69

jorgescar69 New Member

United States
    Map
  4. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Still riding with the stich myself in winter but in summer I go back to kevlar jeans and icon retro daytona. The stich is a hot beast in the summer out west. I once did a ride on the VFR with a few members here wearing the stich and see triple digit temps in the teens. It was a memorable experience that I do not want to repeat.

5. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Apart from a few things, I haven't paid full retail for most of my gear. The close out section of the online retailers is the place to go. Looks like this store is one big close out section. Let us know the quality of the gear once you get it.

On that note, motorcyclegear.com is having a close out sale on Alpinestars gear right now, some really good deals.

6. jorgescar69

jorgescar69 New Member

United States
    Map
    So I just got the FLY TERRA TRECK II jacket and BUTANE pants. I had just came home from a COLD ride. Put the pants on over my jeans. Fitting is very good over the jeans. The jacket also fits very well. Not to big and I adjusted it to me. Then off for a fast 30 miles in the cold.
    Im very pleased with this outfit!

7. JimGregory

JimGregory New Member

New developments. I decided the XLS wasnt big enough or quite comfy enough. So I got a 2XLS which seems absurd for a guy my size. It is more comfy. These suits to me are a bitch to get into but I am a non flexible 60 year old guy. I am torn between sending it back and trying a 2 piece but I think I will keep it and get used to it. I must bond with this suit. I hope I do!

8. HRCCBR

HRCCBR New Member

United States
    Map
    I tried a Survivor Suit about a year ago. I'm 5'10 215lbs with apparently an odd torso length. I tried as far as the 2XL and everything felt good except the torso length which pulled at my shoulders when seated. On the bike it was "ok" but I sent it back and went with 2 pieces. I really wanted to like the suit especially for winter riding but for me it didn't work out.

9. JimGregory

JimGregory New Member

Ya the torso length on the XL was borderline for me. The biggest killer for me is the non adjustable neck snap. Why not a velcro flap one wonders..The XL neck fit but was too tight for balaclava I thought. The 2x seems ok but still it should be adjustable.
    Other then that the suit seems good. Just a bear to get in and out of. I currently have an Effed up groin hip whatever problem which surely doesnt help.

10. HRCCBR

HRCCBR New Member

United States
    Map
    Yea I agree it is interesting to get into and out of at least the few times I did it before sending it back. I did like the suit even with the few quirks like the collar as you state but I just could not deal with the pulling when I tried to sit. If it was $150 maybe but not close to $400 I need it to fit me better for that $$. Fortunately Revzilla is great to work with so far in my personal experience and my return only cost me less than $8 to ship it back for a refund.

11. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Why not just buy new Fielshear pants? They make some very nice 2 piece leather zip together suites and if you old suite was a good one just buy new pants that zip to your jacket.

12. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    Good point. Might do that for the summer but I'd like to try something light, "waterproof", and better insulated for winter. Decided on a 2 piece but not a brand or model yet. Don't really want to be shipping things back and forth. Going to cyclegear again when I get a chance.

13. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    A cheap way around is to wear insulation under your leathers and a rain suite over your leathers. You can change out various items as conditions change. Have you ever been riding early when its cold and misting then it turns into sunny and hot as hell only to turn into rain and cold at the end of a day? I use layering systems for riding and all my other outdoor activities. Just food for thought.

14. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    Yeah, I know what you're thinking, "will this fucking guy ever buy anything!?"

Yesterday I road 45 mins in 40 degree damp weather. The old Fieldsheer jacket has a removable quilted vest so it was plenty warm in the torso but the arms were a little chilly even with a long sleeve thermal shirt. Wearing only Levi's, the tops of my thighs were downright cold and with non-insulated leather gloves, so were my hands. And all this at a leisurely backroad pace.

I've decided to give the Joe Rocket Ballistic 7.0 pants a try. I called the local Cyclegear hoping I could get a pair today but they don't stock them. I was going to buy just the pants but figured I'd go all in and order the Joe Rocket Ballistic Revolution Jacket. Might as well buy new gloves too.

15. JimGregory

JimGregory New Member

Honestly buying anything is so difficult. Weeding through the bullshit and reading rider reports then finding something that may actually fit is no easy task.
    Then you have to try it on. DONT ride in it and decide if you can deal with it for the next x amount of years.
    I am having big problems bonding with my JR 1 piece. I frigging HATE getting in and out of it. So trying. this morning it was 28 F and I removed the quilted liner and got in and went to work. Was fine on my old R100RS. Not cold at all with a long sleeved Tshirt and a fleece and Balaclava. Dont need no stinking liner. Not going farther then 30 minutes to work at this temp. The liner is just more shit to zip up and down and catch my boots on. Even so it was a pain in the ass but only half the pain in the ass that it is with the liner in. If I were actually GOING somewhere I might use it. But it's out for the duration I think.
    But the BMW fairing is total coverage from the neck to the toes. I will try a cold day on the VFR next. Nowhere near the protection of the old BMW fairing.
    Good luck with the 2 piece. I am now convinced that 2 piece is a far more flexible option. Let us know size weight and all that bullshit once you get it.
    For instance I have to go to the bank today. Wish I could toss on the coat and go. It's only a mile and a half!

16. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    Really sorry the suit isn't working out for you Jim. Maybe you could sell it on ebay and try something else?

I just ordered the JR jacket and pants from Revzilla. Should be here by the end of the week. They're shipping from different locations - Nevada and Alabama(?) Wonder which one will get here first.

I fall in the middle of L and XL on their size charts so I gave them a call. I usually buy pants with a 36 waist but he said to use the "belly" measurement for the waist size on the pants so that puts me at 39 or an XL. Hope he's right.

He said go with chest size on the jacket so even though my jacket waist (measured at the belly) works out to be XL- my chest is L. So I got a "L" jacket. I'd rather it be a "little" snug anyways because the jacket starts to look like crap the bigger it gets....

jr.jpg

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  17. jorgescar69

jorgescar69 New Member

United States
    Map
    so did you buy on yet?

18. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    Me? yeah, just ordered it. The photo was from the web

19. jorgescar69

jorgescar69 New Member

United States
    Map
    I still cant get me chick to take a pic of me in mine.
    I love my Fly!

20. JimGregory

JimGregory New Member

Oh it's working. I just need to get used to it. ONCE IT'S ON it's very nice. What I have to get used to is donning and doffing. Removing the quilted liner went a long way! And it kept me warm in 28 degrees without the liner. But that was on the warm bike. Tomorrow morning I will try it on the cold bike.