Riding suit

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by RobVG, Sep 25, 2014.

1. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    Fit

6'-2", 200 lbs, Levi's 501's 36x36

Got the Joe Rocket Ballistic 7.0 pants last week. I Called Revzilla because I was on the border between large and XL. They said to measure my waist at the belly (39"), not the hips, and order accordingly. That put me over the line into XL territory.

The pants are a little baggie and there's some extra room in the waist but I can take that up by cinching the adjustment straps about half way. I'm thinking XL was the right choice.

Only 2 nits, the hip pads sit a little low and are more towards the back than on the side. They don't cover the hip bones but will do a good job protecting your ass cheeks. The other nit is the two buttons on the fly aren't very strong- they pop open somewhat easily. The ones on the jacket hold better.

With the Ballistic Revolution Jacket, Revzilla said to go with chest size (44") and not worry too much about the belly. That didn't sound right because even on the video they said It's not a good jacket for a beer gut. But I trusted them and went with the large. The Jacket fits perfectly.

Getting dressed.

Time required to put the pants on- a leisurely 2.5 minutes. It's not difficult at all but you have the zippers on the liner and the ones on the shell as well as 5 Velcro strips on each leg. With the fly you zip it up and then tuck in the rainfly and seal the Velcro strip then snap the 2 buttons. Time to remove- under a minute. The jacket- it's a jacket, nothing to it but it does have vents to open or close, lot's of buttons and a few Velcro fasteners to remember.

A major screw up on their part- one of the zippers used for attaching the pants to the jacket was sewn on backwards. I'm not worried about it, my wife can fix it if I decide I want to use it.

Performance

40 mile ride, 15 miles on the freeway. Sunny. Started out at 34 degrees, when I came back it was 39. Had on thermal top and bottom and a sweatshirt. Except for my throat, chin, and fingers, I was warm. At freeways speeds my forearms and the inside of my elbows as well as the top of my thighs were slightly cool but still very comfortable. I know it's a short jaunt but it may give you an idea of what to expect. I don't plan on riding in the rain but if I do, hopefully I'll be prepared. If I do I'll update this.

Conclusion

For about $320- I couldn't be happier.

rocket.jpg

2. JimGregory

JimGregory New Member

They look real good! Congrads
    I am still bonding with the survivor suit. It's working for me. Much looser fit on me then your stuff but I am kinda wide and kinda short. 44 inch chest is a killer for fitment with a 30 inch inseam. I dont even bother with the liner. Just more complications and zippers!

3. nearfreezing

nearfreezing New Member

United States
    Map
    Very glad to hear you went with something abrasion resistant. The suit looks great and should provide decent protection also.

4. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    A new helmet is next on the list. Since the suit cost over $300 I expected to have $15 in "Zilla cash" to apply to the purchase. Turns out I had nothing. I emailed them and this was the reply:

"There are a few manufacturers who choose not to participate in the TeamZilla Cash program, and unfortunately Joe Rocket is one of them. We are actually not allowed to give you TeamZilla Cash on those items, as they consider it a discount below the agreed minimum pricing.

That being said, there is no rule against me just arbitrarily putting $15 in TeamZilla Cash in your account for no reason... so I went ahead and did that. Enjoy!

For future reference, we always have the amount of TZ cash an item will earn above the "add to cart" box, in green text. If there is no TZ cash noted, the manufacturer has opted out of participating..."

How cool is that!? :loyal:

5. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    Revzilla is a pretty cool shop, always look to their video gear reviews before buying.

6. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I was going to say that not all purchases earn TZ cash, but what Revzilla did for you is one reason why I like shopping with them. Their customer service is top notch! :thumbsup:

7. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    The pants of riding suits whether they are zip together or not should be a bit larger in the waist and longer in length than a pair of jeans.

This makes the suit good for layering, plenty of length in the legs when in a riding position and for boosting stuff at Walmart.

8. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    I got a chance to test the limits of the Ballistic 7.0 pants and the Ballistic Revolution Jacket.

A 220 mile jaunt yesterday started with 45 minutes of riding in 28 degree weather at freeway speeds. It then slowly climbed to 35 the next 45 minutes.

Under the jacket I had a T shirt, thermal under shirt and a sweat shirt. Just Levis under the pants with the rainliner in.

It wasn't too bad. While it was a little uncomfortable, it was still bearable. The fronts of my arms got cold as well as my thighs but my core stayed warm. Definitely need to find my long johns before the next time.

9. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Yea it was on the cool side the last few days wasn't it. Never getting above what I saw 45 and that was at 3:30, at noon it was still only 38, woke up to 28. Since I ride for the most part for the fun of it, I won't ride in anything under 40, one never knows what's up ahead in the shade like ice under leaves etc. so I stay away from anything that even looks like its getting below that Yes I'm a wuss, to old for this, been there, ain't worth it any more. But tell me just how flexible is one under all that gear, not to mention all ready stiff from being cool, just not worth it IMO. Nice you found out how the gear works ;)

10. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    Flexibility is not an issue. One problem with the jacket it the Velcro neck strap is too short. A balaclava makes up for it. In fact, a ride in these temps for me would not be doable w/o one

As you probably noticed the weather around here has really sucked. I hadn't ridden in 6 weeks. Couldn't resist a sunny Saturday.

11. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    I get ya there, man this weather has been something else, shouldn't complain though, it has been a great fall up till a couple weeks ago.

12. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    SIX WEEKS! Gawd.

Jay. There is no doubt that there is going to be some restrictions. But no more than than you experience wearing winter clothing. Then you just learn to ride accordingly. Not a big deal. Even wearing all that I used to, was not a big deal after a very short time. Gloves same thing. These days black ice is seldom an issue. Most places apply that brine to the roads which prevents that shit from forming. Love that stuff.

I wore a bike specific balaclava in the winter. That was far superior to just those neck warmers which I found poor at best. I say bike specific because they have a nice long bib, front and back, that stays tucked under your jacket. Makes a huge difference.

13. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Nice suit btw.

14. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Oh I get it, I know all to well, back in the day it was army grade cold weather gear. The motorcycling clothing manufactures hadn't caught on to the need yet. Talk about bulky & heavy, then add water. Todays fabrics and how it fits is a huge up grade, but my old bones won't take much of it, then there's the road crazys. I use to ride in just about anything no matter what, I SMH today knowing what I did. 6" of snow for 20+ miles to 400 miles of 40 degree rain squalls> I did a ride down to Portland once weather looked good and it was in the afternoon a high of 35, but was in the 20s coming back, can we say Brrr. just crazy, what was I thinking? LOL I didn't.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  15. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    Speaking of rain, I got caught in a hellacious thunderstorm that lasted 10 minutes on I-5. The Joe Rocket gear kept me dry. I couldn't believe it. My gloves were another story. The hand dryer at McDonald's helped but they didn't truly dry out for days.

Some people gotta work Randy....
    ;)

16. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Huh! What the hell is that?