Road trip with 99 VFR

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Emre, Nov 21, 2020.

1. SilverBulletCSVT

SilverBulletCSVT New Member

United States
    Continental ContiMotion
    The front was the same age also so I replaced it when I got back home.

Only rear tire available when stranded was an expensive Dunlop Q3+. I then matched the front with the same. Wow really enjoying the increased grip on my local rides.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Yes. The problem with a lot of Chinese products is that "Western" countries are catering to their customers who want to buy the lowest cost items they can get. With lower costs, come lower specs being used by Chinese factories to reach those lower prices. If the company who contracts with the Chinese factories want quality products, then they set the design specs for China to follow, and if they are higher specs, then the cost is higher. If the costs are higher, then the company getting China to produce the higher quality product has to pass their costs on to the customer.

I will use an example from my experience. I looked at faucets from Moen. I looked at Home Depot and also at a bathroom supply store. HD faucet was far less expensive than the bathroom store. The two items looked the same, but the product number was slightly different. If you examined and compared the products, the HD item had nylon and plastic parts where the Bathroom store had brass parts. The HD shit stuff would strip their threads and it was always a bitch to get them tightened just enough to get no leaks at the connections, often requiring product exchanges with HD sometimes a couple times. After much frustration, I got a refund and bought the more expensive product at the bathroom supply store and did the install without failure.

The tool store worked at also supplied a product from a Canadian company that produced very good product under their name, "Grizzly" Grizzly had very well respected machinery. The family company wanted to retire and get out of business and sold their license to a Chinese firm with the understanding the Chinese factory would maintain Grizzly's specs and product quality. After a few years the factory pushed out shit with far less quality control and specifications, and the machinery was crap. Grizzly family cancelled the rights with China for breach of contract and sold those rights to my company who reverted back to original specs and rebranded to Magnum Industrial, unique to our set of stores. And the rest is history. Except, Magnum Industrial is still manufactured in Chine, and I think the same factory. But to higher specs.

VFRIRL and squirrelman like this.
  3. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Still come out to... it depends...

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    china has yet to hire it's first quality control inspector. the last HF item i bought had a defective on/off switch from new.

5. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I like buying small LCD bulbs, obviously made overseas. Its all greed and money driven. You used to be able to buy English made stereo speakers made in the UK. Not any more, I would hope they would have a proper Englishman sipping tea and cracking whips on the factory floor making sure everything is up to snuff.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk