rough gears 2nd and 3rd

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by watertrade, Jun 4, 2009.

1. watertrade

watertrade New Member

Hi everyone, :smile:

I spend 80% of my time riding around in 2nd and 3rd. (most of my riding is to and from work in traffic :frown: ) I try and go into 4th whenever I can. I always try and keep rpm above 4k. 4 -7k is my normal riding range.
    anyway... In the last week or so I have noticed 2nd and 3rd feel a little rough on acceleration while in 4-7k rpm range - as well as feeling rougher, there is a bit of a 'chattery 'noise which 'chatters' more when I go over bumps.

If I change up to 4th it feels much more solid and smooth.

any ideas what could ? some of the riders at work say its probably just wearing in more in those gears. probably true but should I expect all the gears to wear in and feel crap like this?

I have had the bike from new - its now done 1500km

I'm going to call the place I bought it from tomorrow but expect the "its fine, go away" story.

cheers
    Jim

2. Rubo

Rubo New Member

1500KM is nothing!! and your transmission most likely is fine considering the millage.
    Did you change the oil? I would change the filter and the oil something like synthetic and see if the problem persists. Often times simple oil change smooths out the gears.
    Good luck

3. JBzRed07

JBzRed07 New Member

Not sure what year/generation model you have, but on my 6th Gen, shifting into 3rd is sometimes a pain in the arse; for a moment, it just plain refuses to go into 3rd.

4. mrich12000

mrich12000 New Member

Map
    Stripper

My 1st gen 84 is missing 3rd & 2nd , Tomorow the engine comes out to fix the shift rod bolts that break in the 1000"s trany oh Honda this common fault / Another bottom end kit.
    hope your on a warranty plan ,or mechanicaly inclined, Good luck...:drinkers::canada::canada::stripper: Take it and split the cases..