Route suggestions from Sacramento area to Oregon

Discussion in 'USA - West' started by whiteknuckles, Apr 13, 2016.

1. whiteknuckles

whiteknuckles New Member

United States
    Map
    Hoping the ride is a good mix of technical/straight lines with a lot of scenery. After checking out a few "motorcycling roads" websites, I'm feeling pretty good about my route that day. Douglas City had a population of 713 in 2010, can't believe it's changed much since you were there. Now on to day 2!

2. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    geyserville to 1 is a fun ride as well. especially the first eastern portion of Skaggs. some of the best sweepers in the state. I imagine caltrans has finished the chip seal job by now. Just keep in mind the majority of that ride is what you'd expect from a paved logging road. After those sweepers it's essentially one long driveway through the mountains to the coast. Still, something different.

[video=youtube;3fy1Yd-Apzo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fy1Yd-Apzo[/video]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  3. whiteknuckles

whiteknuckles New Member

United States
    Map
    "geyserville to 1 is a fun ride as well. especially the first eastern portion of Skaggs. some of the best sweepers in the state. I imagine caltrans has finished the chip seal job by now. Just keep in mind the majority of that ride is what you'd expect from a paved logging road. After those sweepers it's essentially one long driveway through the mountains to the coast. Still, something different."

Are you talking about hwy 128? You vid looks like fun. May have to alter my plans as it doesn't change my route all that much. Thanks for the input? Where are you going to be on June 26th? I'll be riding!

4. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States

Skaggs springs road. Not my video. I'm on the eastern seaboard

5. Big_Panda

Big_Panda New Member

United States
    Map
    On a side note; If you are staying in Eureka you should make a stop at the Samoa cookhouse on the edge of town. They've been serving meals 7 days a week for over 120 years non stop. No menu you just show up and they feed you whatever they are cooking that day, doesn't matter what it is, it's all great and a fun experience. Been there a dozen times myself and I live in LA!

6. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    That there is a great ride, and a hellllllll of a lot better than anything you'll realistically be able to do between Sac and OR. Oregon and NorCal have great roads, but they're very east-westerly, so it's hard to travel North/South on good roads. I've had to travel the I-5 corridor a lot (Born/raised Chico, CA and lived in Seattle 15 years), and I've struggled to find a good way to ride between the two. Eventually, I just gave up and I don't ride it anymore.

P.S. to naysayers, I double dare you to find a really good route from Seattle to Sacramento that can be reasonably done in 2 days (97 doesn't count, it's as boring as I-5).

7. northwood

northwood New Member

United States
    Map
    Hopefully I am not too late.

Highly recommend stopping at Sierra Nevada in Chico then taking 32 NW up to 36. Smooth flat top with TONS of sweet predictable turns. Take 36 up to Lassen (If you can get through) and definitely go through the park. Then take 44 up to 89, follow 89 to I-5. Short skip on I-5 and take 97 up to Klamath falls. If you can, go through St Helens, if not, not big deal. 97 is gorgeous, but pretty bland. All I got for now. Gotta shower and go eat.