Scorpio SR-I600 Alarm System

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by SCraig, Jul 25, 2008.

1. SCraig

SCraig New Member

This is cross-posted from the V-Strom forum so there are a few references to my V-Strom in it. I left them because they are comparisons between the Scorpio and Viper alarms.
    SC

=======================================================

I recently installed a Scorpio SR-I600 alarm on my VFR (no, not my V-Strom, I already have a Viper system on that bike). Some may view alarms on a bike as overkill but I think it's one of the things you have to experience to understand. It is a really ugly feeling to come back to a vehicle to find out it has been broked into, been there, done that, didn't like it at all.

I bought the system direct from Aritronix because they frequently run some "Monthly Specials". In this case I got the perimeter sensor (see below) as well as the backup battery included at no extra cost.

It is wired through a Centech AP-2 Fuse Block that fits perfectly behind the rear brake fluid reservoir on my '07 VFR.

General Impressions
    The system is small and easy to install. It was designed specifically for motorcycles and ATV's so it is waterproof and simple to install. Aritronix even makes motorcycle-specific adapter cables that adapt the existing connectors on the bike to the alarm.

It has a lot of features; shock sensor, tilt sensor, perimeter sensor (optional), ant-hijack / ignition kill unit (optional), and it is a paging system. If the alarm on the bike goes off the remote in my pocket goes off as well (assuming it is within range).

Installation
    Installation is simple with or without the motorcycle-specific adapter cables. One harness that connects to the rear turn signals (they flash when the alarm goes off but the fronts don't), ground, and tail light. Another single wire goes to the battery. A second accessory harness is used for the perimeter sensor and ignition kill module.

The unit is pretty small, about 4" x 4" or so, and doesn't have to be mounted in any particular orientation. The underseat area on a VFR is about 1/4 the volume of the V-Strom and I found room for it there. On my V-Strom I would have tucked it way back around the tail lights out of the way (which is where my Viper is installed). The siren is built into the unit so there is no need for mounting an external speaker anywhere.

Operation
    Everything is done from the remote. There are no adjustments at all on the brain. In fact the only real adjustment is the sensitivity of the shock sensor.

The remote has 4 buttons, and as with most remotes, single-button presses mean one thing and combination presses mean something else. The alarm can be armed with or without the perimeter sensor active, it can be armed with or without the siren active.

The remote is rechargeable and comes with a charger so there is no need to change the battery. This is good or bad and I haven't decided which. Fully charged it is supposed to last about 7 days. Since I've only had it for 2 days the jury is still out. If it goes dead on the road you have no way to arm (or disarm!) your alarm. If it used a standard AAA or "Button" battery I could pick one up at any department store. I think I like having a rechargeable battery, but I'm not sure yet. The remote can be turned off when not in use to conserve the battery.

The system is a "Paging" system so when the alarm triggers the remote chirps as well. It is rated at 1/2 mile range but my experience with other paging systems is that the range is never that much. Walls, especially reinforced concrete walls, will stop them dead. In the clear I can get good range, in congestion I can't. Typical of most systems.

One button press to arm the system, one button press to disarm is normally all you need. Siren chirps, naturally, tell you if when it is armed or disarmed.

One area of concern I had was quiescent current draw. The Viper on my V-Strom will significantly draw the battery down if I leave the bike sitting for a week or so. It doesn't completely drain the battery, but it's enough that my Battery Tender takes a few hours to top it back off. I normally pull the fuse on my Viper if the bike is going to sit a while and planned on doing the same thing with the Scorpio. I sent an email to Aritronix asking if that would work, and had an answer back in a couple of hours (excellent customer service!). I was told that it would work however it was also unnecessary. They said the system was designed from the ground up for motorcycles and they were well aware of the limited battery capacity on bikes. The email said that I would have to leave the bike unattended for about 3 months to completely drain the battery. I think that's a bit optimistic but still it sounds like it is a very efficient system for bikes.

Accessories
    I got the Perimeter Sensor and Backup Battery when I bought mine. They were included in the "July Special" but I had already planned to get the perimeter sensor.

The perimeter sensor behaves similar to the old Viper systems that told people to "Please step away from the vehicle!" except that it just chirps the siren. Get closer though and the alarm triggers fully. The sensitivity is adjustable and mine came from the factory set to approximately "Arms Length" begore it starts to complain.

The nice thing about it is that it helps protect other things on your bike as well. Snatch-and-grab items such as magnetic tank bags, clip-on tail bags, helmets, etc. are somewhat more secure than without it.

The remote allows arming the system with or without the perimeter sensor active. In a crowded parking lot there might be false trips if it were active because of people walking by, cars parking close, etc. Button [1] arms without the perimeter sensor, button [3] arms with the perimeter sensor.

The Battery Backup takes over if power to the bike is disconnected. Mine is built into the main module. I probably wouldn't have ordered this separately but since it was included at no extra cost, what the heck.

There is also an anti-hijack / ignition disable module. I didn't get it, but can always do so if I change my mind. It has two modes of operation. In Ignition Kill mode it disables the ignition when the alarm is triggered so the bike won't start. In anti-hijack mode you can kill the ignition remotely with the remote. Presumably if you see someone stealing your bike and they are within range of the remote and you can remember the sequence of buttons and press them quick enough (while the guy is hauling ass away from you on your bike) you can kill the ignition. Like I said, I didn't spring for this option.

Summary
    I travel a good bit on my VFR and don't stay at the best hotels in the best parts of town. Having an alarm on my bike lets me sleep a bit better. This alarm has a lot of bang but it isn't the cheapest one around either. The Viper on my V-Strom is nowhere near the system this one is but it was a little cheaper as well. I looked at several and this one had the best range of features that I wanted.

My only concern with it is the rechargeable battery on the remote, and that may turn out to be nothing. Worst case I have to take another charger with me so it's no big deal.