Seen the Nightster?

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by SFPA, May 3, 2007.

1. ZonaMan

ZonaMan New Member

I thought it was the Autobahn!:eek:

2. PorscheBob

PorscheBob New Member

United States
    Map
    I had a chance to ride the street rod when I traded rides with one of my riding buds. Probably the most advanced HD available today, but, IMHO I thought it was a very boring ride except for getting my right leg roasted. A little better than a couple of HDs I had years ago. Believe me...it's all about the look. "Heap
    big smoke...small fire"!

3. waldrm

waldrm New Member

If you want an under-powered, carbureted, 2-valve pushrod antique buy a John Deere gator. At least then you will be able to haul something and the orange farm equipment triangle on the back will explain why it is so slow.

4. XRayHound

XRayHound New Member

I wouldn't have another cruiser, much less a Harley, after introducing myself to sportbikes. But, aesthetically, I approve of the matte silver and black styling on the Nightster.
    A friend's wife and I saw one at the Hooters bike night the other day and were immediately attracted to it. I'm a gunsmith by profession and my first thought was "It looks like they painted it with GunKote." I wouldn't buy one but I wouldn't hesitate to emulate it's look on a project bike.

5. midias

midias New Member

United States
    Map
    Thats funny because the new motorcycle weekly had a review of the nighster and it was a second slower on the 1/4 than my 82 v45 magna

6. PorscheBob

PorscheBob New Member

United States
    Map
    I had a chance to ride the HD Street Rod when they first came out. I thought the silver and orange looked great. However, after a short ride on the Street Rod I couldn't wait to get back on my Suzy Katana 1100. It's all about show.
    I owned two HDs back in the 70s and IMHO the new ones are not much better. "Different strokes....for different folks". :angel:

7. geo w.

geo w. New Member

Just my impression of things, but here it is.

As far as HD goes, the sportsters are the least evolved bikes in their line-up. To my memory they did not benefit from the rubber mounts like the 88 and now 96 inch engines on the bigger bikes. To be honest, I think because of the higher center of gravity, steeper steering angles, and shorter wheel base, that they require more skill to ride well.

Despite the facts, they are generaly percieved as a, "woman's / beginner's," motorcycle. But, the general motorcycle public is also convinced that the V twin is the best thing since sliced bread. Give me a Japanese in-line four over a V twin any day of the week.

They're not the most comfortable bikes HD has to offer, but as my wife reminds me (constantly), I'm not old enough to make comfort my number one priority. I saw one up close a few weeks back, and like all things HD, the finish is excelent and meticulous. The flat balck and gray paint job was really sharp.

And lastly, Steve McQueen was a big fan of the sportster.

8. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    They are doing a good job of trying to bring in more younger buyers. First the V-Rod now a cool, hip sportster. If I were a first time buyer, I'd give it a serious look considering the price and style.

Harley has been doing a good job of increasing their reliability also. I have some acquaintances who have put a lot of trouble free miles on their bikes. Not my cup of tea right now but I've learned to never say never.

9. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

$10000 for a vibrating POS with 60HP & a 5 speed transmission??? NO FREAKING THANK YOU!!! I can buy 2 used VFR's for that much.

Did that knock you out of your trance Chris?:biggrin:

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007