Servo motor elimination

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by glory racing, Jul 20, 2012.

1. glory racing

glory racing New Member

United States
    Map
    Would like to remove exhaust servo motor. It is just taking up space and providing no benefit. If I disconnect the plug I get an MIL dash warning light. Any known fixes? Thanx!

2. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    you prove that out on a Dyno? I've wondered if Honda just put that thing there to justify the $12,000 price tag.

3. glory racing

glory racing New Member

United States
    Map
    I have proved nothing on a dyno. I am running without the flapper cable connected and no issues so far. Therefore the motor is running for no reason and just taking up space under the seat. It needs to go. Besides, I just like tinkerin with stuff.

4. chickunfut

chickunfut New Member

Just saw this thread,,,, Along with my 6th gen I also have a Yamaha R6... The R6 comes with an exhaust valve like you guys are talking about. Supposedly provides more back pressure at low rpm so it's easier to get going from a stop.

The two options for the R6 are to disconnect the cables like you did and the other is a servo eliminator that plugs into the harness in place of the servo electronics. It's called an EXUP servo eliminator.... I removed all of the servo electronics and installed the eliminator plug without an issues at all.

Graves Motorsports and Bazzaz make the eliminator for the Yamaha,, I don't know if anyone makes it for the Honda.

Thought this info might point you in the right direction.

5. lshark

lshark New Member

what are you going to do with all that space ???!!

6. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Lol...........

7. phobe

phobe New Member

Map
    You need the right resistors wired in to fool the ECU that the servo motor is still there, otherwise the PGM-FI will go into a limp mode. I went through this on my 07 600RR.

I have my cable disconnected and the motor just sitting there whirring away in vain. If someone figures out a fix I'd like to bin my servo motor as well.

8. glory racing

glory racing New Member

United States
    Map
    I will keep searching for a fix and will post up if I find it. In the meantime, Hoping someone will come along with the answer.

9. glory racing

glory racing New Member

United States
    Map
    Bazzaz returned my email...good on them. Unfortunately nothing available from them and no plans for future. Damnit! Considering so many Zbombs sold, they should hook us up! Have yet to get a reply from Graves or anyone else.

Eliminating a motor that is running for no reason....Good! Saving weight...Good! Creating additional storage space...Good! Granted, it is not a large amount of space, but considering the limited storage capacity of the bike that is available...any increase could be utilized. I know I could get 5, maybe 6 Twinkies in there....Great!

10. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    I would love it if someone would step up and spend some Dyno time to verify what affect the flapper has on the engine performance as opposed to the seat of the pants and assumptions.

11. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    And I would love a decent libertarian type presidential canidate to vote for and have my favorite model, Ashley Graham, sit on my face. But the reality is neither of us are going to get our wish Tink.

Seat of your pants HP is the best kind as it requires no proof...only "feelings".

BZ

12. glory racing

glory racing New Member

United States
    Map
    I agree...you should step up and do that for us!

I live in the AR twisties and normally run over 4K anyway...so there is no affect for the way I enjoy to ride. But it would still be good for you to do that for all of mankind to know and benefit! Maybe the results would show that if I dont reconnect the cable, the motor will seize. Then I could reconnect it and quit worrying about that damn servo motor spinning for no reason.

13. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    was just reading over on a Kawi forum where dude did some testing on the exhaust flapper and showed a loss of 1hp.

with regard to your question - I would suspect that you could take an Ohm meter and measure the resistance in the servo motor and then go to your local Radio Shack and pick up a matching resistor. Hopefully Radio Shack still sells that shit as it seems they are too worried about competing with the big box stores these days.

14. glory racing

glory racing New Member

United States
    Map
    1 hp at 3500 rpm...Oh the horror!!!

Thanx for the suggestion but that is something "I" could not do...no electrical skills. Fortunately, I am damn good looking though!
    If nothing turns up, I may try to find someone local that does have electrical skills and determine if an affordable fix can be made.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  15. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Go to YouTube and type in the search box "how to use an analog ohm meter" or "how to use a multimeter"

Smart talanted people put a lo of grea shit there for idiots like you and I. I learned how to plastic weld by watching YouTube videos along with some trial and error. No better time for you to learn than now. Gonna make 'improvements' to your ride then it will only help to get familiar with the basic tools. Analog meter cost less than $10 at Walmart or harbor freight.

Besides, riding a vfr it's just a matter of time before you have electrical failure. I'm off to watch vids on open chest surgery

16. dublflush

dublflush New Member

There was a guy on one of the cbr 1000 sites that was making exhaust servo eliminators that will also work for the vfr1200f. Think he was selling them for$15! He goes by the handle pdfruth . If you google his name it will lead you to his forum post. I have left him a message on ebay to see if he can help us, but no response yet.

17. glory racing

glory racing New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanx for posting however that was a couple years ago...there are no more available from pdfruth. Already tried that one. However, I have been reading/searching and maybe onto a fix...sure it will cost more than $15 today. Will post up when I have a definative answer.

18. BiKenG

BiKenG New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Any news on this? I need a servo eliminator and if anyone has already done so, it would save me from having to construct my own.

????

19. E.SLC.

E.SLC. New Member

United States
    Map
  20. BiKenG

BiKenG New Member

United Kingdom
    Map