Shamu on the street

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by betarace, Jul 19, 2010.

1. betarace

betarace New Member

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    I am sure at least one or more of Honda's lubricant products could prevent those fellers from having a sore butt.

So is lane splitting Kosher in PA and NY?

3. Wes_Siler

Wes_Siler New Member

Lane splitting is most definitely not kosher in NJ, PA or NY, but you try sitting in a traffic jam all the way home from Philly.

I grew up in London, it feels funny not to split.

4. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Someone call PETA shamus getting raped!

5. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

I simply can't help myself.

"The prosecution rests your honor".

Honda Powersports, you suck & suck large.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2:

6. Meatloaf

Meatloaf New Member

United States
    Map
    I love it Wes, keep up the good work!

7. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Well that went poorly. Not a fan of Shamoooooo but it sounds like Honda is gonna have a few of these bovines sitting around a good long time.

8. 2wheel`tone

2wheel`tone New Member

Map
  9. Meatloaf

Meatloaf New Member

United States
    Map
    Or perhaps he is right. Maybe Honda just f*cked up. I don't see any of our members here that own a 7th gen bashing his article, do you? Perhaps they haven't had a chance to put the miles on the bike like he has or they do agree with him on certain points. I think there is a lot of good in this bike but there are also a lot of things that could have been much better. After reading this I'm simply wondering if the US market was never really considered in the design. I bet if you sit your average Japanese person on the bike it is sprung much better and is more comfortable for them. I have a suspicion that the suspension problem can easily be cured just like many have with the 6th gen. The same goes for the seat, both driver and pillion. Ergos were very poor? He admits to being tall. Refer back to the Japanese comment. They are much shorter and lighter. Its not a stereotype, its a fact.

At least we have someone speaking up outside of Honda's influence writing something about it and surely more will come in the future. Have you been on one and ridden it on both the street and track? Have you even sat on one or at last touched one 2wheel? I'm not bustin your chops or anything man but cut the guy some slack.

10. Wes_Siler

Wes_Siler New Member

No agenda here dude, and definitely no Harley. All I'm trying to do is accurately report my experience and hopefully do so in a fun, easy-to-read way.

You don't have to agree with me, but how about providing some evidence that I'm wrong?

I weigh 175lbs, i'm 6' 2" tall and I'm a relatively physically fit 29-year old. That shouldn't be enough weight to overcome a suspension's damping, that shouldn't be enough height to overcome the ergonomics and wind protection and I definitely don't have back problems, so why was Shamu making my back unbearably sore? The MV Agusta F4 I rode alongside it didn't.

For those suggesting there's easy fixes: why bother? By the time you've fitted re-valved, re-sprung forks, an Ohlins shock, a Corbin seat, Heli Bars, luggage and a Power commander you're still left with an enormously expensive bike that won't have the tank range of a Concours 14 or the handling of an R1200GS.

11. betarace

betarace New Member

For 16k we deserve better, for $11k we deserve better

12. MiddleTBabb

MiddleTBabb New Member

United States
    Map
    I gotta believe that it would be TUFF to bash your own bike, especially if you just spent those kinda bucks on it (referring to the 7th gen guys)

and, I just called PETA :pound:

13. el paso

el paso New Member

This isn't a lone wolf critique. Several outlets have decried the same elements (or others) on the new VFR. The August 2010 Motocycle Consumer News offers an in-depth comparo between the Concours, the FJR and the Viffer. The VFR comes in a distant third, with especial note of faulty fueling, inadequate (and nonadjustable) suspension, ergonomics ("the most pain per mile")., etc. While I read everything available, MCN owes nothing to advertisers (no advertising) and tends to be objective, albeit a bit prissy.

14. Captain Happy

Captain Happy New Member

Odd. I just put 900 miles on my VFR1200 this weekend and I or my passenger didn't have one bit of sore anything(with the stock seat and I ain't no pixie sized dude). Ass-ide from the usual sore I always get from any motorcycle I've ever spent that many miles on in a short time. I know, it's not that many miles but...you get my drift.

I am on the band wagon when it comes to the fueling issues in the lower two gears. Though, on the road I don't notice it at all when it is turned up above 4000rpm.

Though, I would add I would like to know someone (which I know there is) who doesn't touch a brand new stock motorcycle. Change the exhuast, throw a fuel controller at it, replace the stock seat...etc...etc. I know always do, no matter how "expensive" the stock goodies are supposed to be. (Expensive usually translates to what people think is good...lol) Though, I admit this is the most I've spent on a motorcycle at the outset. I've never rode a perfect motorcycle myself, no matter how much or how little it cost.

Interesting read though...thanks!

15. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States

For those who get confused easily, I want to point out that Preparation H is not a Honda product but is good for traffic jams.

Wes,

At least you are defending your turf.. Seen the couriers in London. Same thing in LA. Most of the couriers there don't seem to ride the "larger" bikes. The California Vehicle Code is based on the Pennsylvania Code going back many years. The freeway lanes at least are a bit wider in California than in other places.

I sort of like the idea that the pillion has a hard ho to row seatwise. Got a 91 VFR that has never had a pillion on it since I bought it brand new.

16. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    I am shocked and dismayed at the list and resale price of 6th gen bikes these days given the original MSRP. Gen 7 is set to level a new bar of really poor left over and resale pricing. I did assume one day I would warm to shamooo but it is looking like that may not happen at this point.

17. dublflush

dublflush New Member

I have a thousand miles of mountain riding on mine, have put .5 million miles on 11 bikes. This bike is fantastic! Rode a 2006 vfr . The 1200 totaly blows it away in every respect.
    Its not perfect, but very close. I think some people miss the point of what the bike is about. But for you guys disin it that havnt ridden one, it just sounds like some penis envy type stuff going on. I find it amusing:tongue:

18. el paso

el paso New Member

In rereading the thread, I don't see anyone who hasn't ridden it, dissing it. Don't confuse the messenger with the message.

19. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Maybe there are a few like myself waiting for the Gen 7 MK 2 to come out with 21 Litre tank, standard ABS with traction control and free Panniers.

20. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map