Should I stay or should I go...?

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by BMD, Aug 1, 2016.

1. BMD

BMD New Member

I was thinking that, but I'm trying to keep costs down, but it's on my list of improvements.
    Thanks

2. BMD

BMD New Member

I was going to get that Sargent seat, but it's sold.

3. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Damn...I will keep my eyes out for you.
    If you like the VFR I suggest to keep her and mod to your liking. You either spend the $$ now and enjoy her or you can take the time looking for used on ebay, craig list or here :) It will be hard to adapt from RT to VFR :sad:

4. BMD

BMD New Member

Thanks S Long, I appreciate it.

5. BMD

BMD New Member

I checked the tires date. rear 8013. I had trouble finding the front. What I found was - DOT EUYO 9umm 2908. That means the tire was made in 2008, if I'm reading it correctly.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  6. blackvfr

blackvfr New Member

United States
    I will give that a try thanks...

7. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    "That's why I bought a VFR!"

With your rear tire "sliding", make sure that it is holding its new, lowered pressure. Check for fluid leaks, raise the bike onto the center stand and check for any sloppiness in the rear wheel. Could be a bad bearing or something causing some spooky handling. I have a couple of bikes with older tires, right now, they also feel untrustworthy, in the corners. Can't say they feel like they're sliding, but new tires are soooo much better. The VFR800 is a fine handling, well suspended bike, that'll leave most BMW's in the weeds! You should be reporting about a solid handling bike. I do not think you need really stticky tires, but fresh ones will probably improve your issue. Also, if indeed, the tires were replaced in 2008 and then another in 2013, that could be an issue. I'd say only one has been replaced. Not sure what the 2004 models came with? Write the entire serial number, or D.O.T. # down, go to Michelin's motorcycle site, then decipher your tires manufacture date. Remember, this is only when they were made. If you are not mechanically inclined, try to get another opinion on your bikes handling, from either another VFR owner, or someone experienced with modern sporty bikes. Good luck. One day when you're going through a set of twisties, you'll stop and say " That's why I bought a VFR!" "Awesome!"

8. OOTV

OOTV Insider

The code 8013 doesn't jive, there are only 52 weeks in a year. Are you sure you read this one correctly? The 2908 looks correct and means that that tire is way beyond the normal lifespan of sport and/or sport touring tires.

9. BMD

BMD New Member

I got an official look at the tires from a professional, and they were made in '08 and put on the bike in 2010.
    I just ordered them from my local motorcycle repair guy (Joe's Cycles in Bromall PA). "Only" $475 for the pair, installed. Ouch!

10. BMD

BMD New Member

I got an official look at the tires from a professional, and they were made in '08 and put on the bike in 2010.
    I just ordered them from my local motorcycle repair guy (Joe's Cycles in Bromall PA). "Only" $475 for the pair, installed. Ouch!

11. OOTV

OOTV Insider

WOW! Haven't had to pay for tires w/ installation prices in a long time. I have a tire changer now and order my tires either online or from one of my local dealers so prices are a bit better. That being said, let us know how the bike rides with the new shoes.

12. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    $475 WT.............Beeeeeep
    :mad:
    Which tires did you order?

13. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    You have some serious issues with your tires if your bike is sliding. Even at high speeds. Last year I ran my 2005 at the track at Chuckwalla Raceway. Even leaned over at nearly full throttle, up in the 10K RPM range, I had very little slippage and this was with blowing sand on the track. To the point that I literally was dragging my header on the ground in certain turns. I have ground my pegs, boots and I have drug my knee. I have only once or twice had the tire slip out on me and that again was high throttle/lean angle and even then it was totally controllable with throttle and fun, not scary. Check the manufacture date on your tire, it will be a four digit number number, such as 2014 meaning the 20th week of 2014. I just don't see how it is possible to slide a VFR at moderate speeds. On turn thirteen I was full throttle in second gear leaned over and going well over 80 mph mid turn. I never had any slippage. This was with Michelin Pilot Road 4 tires, a sports touring tire and they were hot as hell.

As to the comfort bit, maybe someone lives near you that has a VFR setup as mentioned. Maybe you can talk them into letting you sit on it.

I am glad you are getting new shoes. But $475 installed? O.U.C.H. That's steep.

Next time you need new shoes, be sure to check with us as we can probably save you a lot of money. I paid $280 installed for a pair of Bridgestone T30 EVO tires which thus far are superior to the PR4 tires.

14. BMD

BMD New Member

I saw that $280 quote, and I was floored when I heard $475. I hadn't looked else where for a better price, because he is local, small shop and I really trust his work.

15. BMD

BMD New Member

Bridgestone T30's GT

16. BMD

BMD New Member

Well, you guys were right. New tires and a brand new riding bike. I did over 80 mph on the highway and it felt more stable than my BMW 1100rt. It held the corners the way it was supposed to. The biggest problem was the idiots driving cars in front of me.

17. OOTV

OOTV Insider

The latter issue seems to affect all of us, regardless of tires!

18. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    If I am understanding your posts here, you purchased that last set of tires (Prior to the bridgestones) from a local shop who you trust to do good work. I hate to burst your bubble but that shop should not have sold you tires that were 8 years old. If he ordered them from somewhere then he should have sent them back and got something a little newer to put on your bike. The rubber in tires will deteriorate with age alone. How much, I am not sure. But there is no way in hell I will accept a tire that is that old. Or a tire that has a combination of letters on it that would lead me to believe it was a Dumslop.

Happy to hear you are now satisfied with the performance and I hope it works well and long for you.

19. MichaelD

MichaelD New Member

United States
    Map

20. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I am going to jump in because I purchased a 6th gen and I have all the issues in the original post. It hurts my back. It hurts my butt and it cramps my legs. That said is it a great bike, with fantastic smooth power and there is zero tire slip even from the cheap Shinkos 005s I threw on it. I have a 5th gen with the Sargent's seat, Heli bars and Buell, lower pegs and I can ride it all day. I could do the same to the 6th gen and I could have a keeper. As for throwing it away when you sell you have to figure, if you love the bike and ride the sh*t out of it why worry about resale value. My 5th gen just flipped over 40,000 and that's the magic number where everyone figures it's worn out. I am going to ride it until it drops. As for the heat, the worst bike I ever rode for this was an ST1300 and it just cooked my nether regions. My 5th gen gets my right leg warm when the weather warms to over 95 degrees. I haven't ridden the 6th gen over 120 miles in one sitting so I can't say that the heat is bad. I just never noticed.