Sidecar rig?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Gatekeeper, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Has anyone ever seen or had a sidecar rig on a VFR? I've got a hack I want to put on a bike and the VFR is a candidate in the garage. I'm hoping someone else has some ideas on the subframe.
    If it gets too involved, I can always mount it to my old single stick 750.

2. hustond

hustond New Member

Unique

Sorry, but gotta ask WHY???? This would definately be a unique application. :confused: Not bashing :yield: your idea I just haven't heard of anyone doing something like this with a sport/sport turing bike. One area of concern that I would have would be turning radias. I don't know if you could get enough movement out of the steering to be able to menuver like you should. Also mounting points for the side car would be challenging though the body work. Doable, but I would definately want some way of covering up the mounting hole s when I'm not riding it with the side car on. I would love to see pics though.

3. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Usually I refrain from any editorial type comment but I gotta jump in --- com'on man get real - Its a VFR - a sporting ride. Your talking blasphemy...

MD

4. MrJoelieC

MrJoelieC New Member

Map
    Not so much on a VFR but I know there are quite a few ST1100s out there that have sidcars...There is guy around here who has an older ST that is RWB and I always mistake it for an older VF1000F with a sidecar...

There was a guy in Melbourne Australia.... Do a google search for st1100 sidecar... There was dude in Australia and I think his side car was fully enclolsed and it actually leaned with the bike for better cornering...

5. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

I've got the body off and am starting to design the subframe. As far as the VFR being a 'sporty ride', I've always figured it was a 'sport-like bike' Kinda like a Katana. It has marginal suspension and is heavy as a Honda. It does however have a very strong tractor of a power plant and is liquid cooled. More than enough to power a fully loaded hack around the mountains. A leading link front end will be an easy add as the stem is the same as several available units. Since medical issues are going to stop me from riding a solo rig soon, I'll put a car on what I've got. The VFR isn't worth anything to sell, so modifications don't bug me. (My old single stick 750 is probably worth about the same as the VFR.)

I had a Kawi with an Equalean sidecar in the past. Same medical issue would prevent me from riding it as prevents safe solo bike riding. Cool thing about a sidecar on a bike is it instantly becomes a dual sport machine. Dirt roads are not a problem, neither is snow. (But it is still cold.)

Somebody has a decent CB900 or KZ900 or pre '69 BMW they wanna trade for a 94 VFR?

6. VT Viffer

VT Viffer New Member

United States
    Map
    The owner's manual is very specific on this for my '96:

"DO NOT ATTEMPT TO MOUNT A TRAILER OR A SIDE CAR UNIT TO YOUR HONDA MOTORCYCLE."

That does it for me.

And why would you want to side car a VFR? Maybe a Bimmer or a Harley, but a VFR?

7. tbones86

tbones86 New Member

Map
    Found a post on VRFD that shows a Yamaha FJ w/ a side car might give you some ideas.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33302&pid=399532&st=0&#entry399532

You guys have to remember one thing, its his bike he can do what he wants with it. That said if I had a cb900 to trade I would do it in a heart beat; I could actually buy one in my area fairly reasonably they where very popular in my area & quite a few have come up for sale.

8. chomper

chomper New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey i say go for it ...... your definatally going to have one of a kind bike be sure to post some pictures juring and after should be intresting Good luck!!

9. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

My owners manual also says to always obey ALL traffic laws and never exceed the speed limit.

:flock: :drum:

One thing is for sure, if I can get this sidecar on it, I won't need any GIVI bags! The biggest stall at this point is the rear subframe isn't strong enough for a 4 point mount, so I'm trying to sketch out a 3 point with power leanout.
    The subframe doesn't look to be that big a deal as there are already drilled and tapped mounting bosses on the engine and enough meat in the frame cast areas to drill and tap bolt on mounts. Trying to keep stresses down, so longer motor mount bolts and bracketry from those points are in order. Hardest so far is to keep it inside the lower fairing AND clear the exhaust header. Rear lower mount will take the place of the centerstand and tie into the front of the engine at the 2 bosses on the front of the motor AND the frame/engine interface. The 3rd point looks like it will be easiest to tie into the top shock tower and bring out the side of the seat fairing. The front and mid and lower fairings shouldn't need to be chopped. Just remove the vent louvers in the mid.

:cool:

10. btt

btt New Member

Dude! You are the first. Can't wait to see it. I am sure others will follow when they see your work. Thanks.

11. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Doesn't look like anyone will be able to follow. :mad:
    The extruded spars on the frame aren't up to the task. They have almost no lateral strength. With a sub frame tieing it all together, I can flex the spars by hand.:eek:
    It would never handle cornering loads with a hack. The cure isn't worth it.

So, the hack is now on my old CB-750K. :pout:

There is always the possibility in the future of using the VFR engine and SSSA in a custom purpose built kneeler type rig or some other project. :rip:

12. sjsartwork

sjsartwork New Member

sidehack on my 86 vfr 750

what spars are you talking about....I fully intend to custum build a hack onto my bike...im a quadriplegic that drives from the sidecar of a 78 cb400a.....im ready to go faster now.a-lot faster. what mods like additional frame strengthening(aluminum welding etc) would it take to be able to mount a hack.This bike would be awsome for me ,plus i already own it so...onward hoe!!! you can see my sidecar bike and vfr here http://www.myspace.com/stanthemanthatcan

13. 46alpha

46alpha New Member

Map
    Go for it! I saw a local guy with a kick a$$ sidecar on his ZX-14. He was cruzin around Derry NH with his two boys in it. I've never seen kids so happy.
    Here's a link to the site: High Performance Sidecar

14. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

The frame of the VFR wasnt srong enough for the hack. It wasn't strong enough to handle the twisting moment that the top front mount put on it. I wasn't able to get a strong enough front lower inside the fairing. The rear mounts were ok. Used the centerstand mount and a stud at the subframe to frame.
    If I didn't want to keep the fairings on the bike, it would have been more do-able.

I've since sold the VFR to someone who is very happy with it. The doctors have found a solution to the medical issue. So although I can't fly or race, I can still ride 2 wheels.
    So I've got the bagger to ride and the old CB750 to drive with the hack.

15. sjsartwork

sjsartwork New Member

glad too hear your still riding...i wish i could fast forward 4 months from now and take a ride on my vfr....that thing sounds so good with its super trapps and of course the 900cc upgrade kit...My friends are gonna build the hack from scratch though for my wheel chair and hand controls etc...gonna take a while, but i could not imagine having more fun as a quadriplegic.

16. JanFillemJansen

JanFillemJansen New Member

So it seems I'm going to be the first doing this :smile:
    I am building up a VFR rig right now. It is going very well.

17. betarace

betarace New Member

if it can be done, someone will find a way
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. JanFillemJansen

When i am finished in may, i will place some pictures to show.

19. JanFillemJansen

Might be june.. subframe is ready and fits perfect. This week it will be powdercoated. The painted parts and the side car is at the paintshop and is going to be wonderfull when is't ready. I will make a film when i am ready so you can see it on youtube.

20. mikelc10

mikelc10 New Member

Side car on a VFR???? Do it!!! I wanna see it!!